Sign in to follow this  
Helsinki canary

Delia to speak at the final say rally this Saturday in London

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]So you read 5 words of a well considered and interesting post and decided it was drivel Nexis?[/quote]

Anything pro Brexit is drivel to be fair.

Its all in a name.

Nexus = "A connection or series of connections linking two or more things."

Cheers Nuff Said, I thought it was patently obvious what Boradstairs was saying so couldn''t be bothered to respond - but you more than made up for it 😀

RTB - against my better judgement I will engage...

Your arguement is undone from the outset, I am not a millennial. At no point did I say that someone else should fix the problems, what I did say though is that to a large extent people are victims of their circumstances. That doesn''t just apply to millennials, but also to previous generations.

On the subject of voting age, there is a strong arguement that the younger voters are actually more likely to vote according to their beliefs and the policies being proposed instead of just always voting along party lines. The people lost to politics are those that feel as though they are disenfranchised and that politicians don''t represent them, if you raised the voting age then that would just increase the disenfranchisement, engaging the youth is a way to get them interested and stay interested. It''s a bit of a cliche, but, why should a 17 year old be able to be sent to die for their country when they can''t choose who is making that decision?

Nice stereotyping at the end by the way, let me guess, guardian readers to the man of them as well?

"Cheers Nuff Said, I thought it was patently obvious what Boradstairs was saying so couldn''t be bothered to respond - but you more than made up for it."

Even though he seems to have spent the best part his day meticulously dissecting my every word with such an astonishing degree of misunderstanding, misinterpretation and nonsensical twaddle that even the most ardent remoaner would blush in embarrassment at his distorted efforts.

My assessment is somewhat limited by the fact that I (and no doubt others,) was totally unable to appreciate the drift of his agenda ridden deductions that it was with regret that I had to quit the ordeal quite some paragraphs towards the end of it all.

May be I''ll try again tomorrow. May be not.

Bad losers? You can say that again.

No remoaner here, just someone who understands the true concept of ''democracy''. The referendum wasn''t a vote ''for'' something, it was a vote against something - but within that was the scope for the hardest of hard brexits and the softest of soft: how can anyone possibly know which of these was voted for/ wanted by the Great British public unless they put it to the test?

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Cheers Nuff Said, I thought it was patently obvious what Boradstairs was saying so couldn''t be bothered to respond - but you more than made up for it."

Even though he seems to have spent the best part his day meticulously dissecting my every word with such an astonishing degree of misunderstanding, misinterpretation and nonsensical twaddle that even the most ardent remoaner would blush in embarrassment at his distorted efforts.

My assessment is somewhat limited by the fact that I (and no doubt others,) was totally unable to appreciate the drift of his agenda ridden deductions that it was with regret that I had to quit the ordeal quite some paragraphs towards the end of it all.

May be I''ll try again tomorrow. May be not.

Bad losers? You can say that again.[/quote]
The abbreviated version - there was so much hypocritical, inaccurate nonsense in your post it took that many words to accurately pull it apart.
tl;dr - your superior, pompous opinions are wrong.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]
Just watch this from start to finish and i will leave others to pass comment.
[/quote]
Didn''t want to weigh in on this but... Oh dear... here goes.
This video is an utter load of twaddle, compiled by an AUSTRALIAN who is a supporter of Tommy Robinson and various other nonsense.
In short, anything can be edited to suit an agenda. A bit like the manifesto and campaign for leaving the EU.
That''s me done. I''m off.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]No remoaner here, just someone who understands the true concept of ''democracy''. The referendum wasn''t a vote ''for'' something, it was a vote against something - but within that was the scope for the hardest of hard brexits and the softest of soft: how can anyone possibly know which of these was voted for/ wanted by the Great British public unless they put it to the test?[/quote]
The best explanation I have heard for the result of the referendum is "if you ask people who are hurt and angry if they want things to stay the same, what do you expect them to say?"
Sadly, by kicking against the establishment we seem to have injured no-one but ourselves. While those like Johnson and Rees-Mogg will just exploit the opportunity to make them and their friends more money by creating a low wage, low regulation sweatshop economy.

[quote user="cornish sam"]RTB - against my better judgement I will engage...

Your arguement is undone from the outset, I am not a millennial. At no point did I say that someone else should fix the problems, what I did say though is that to a large extent people are victims of their circumstances. That doesn''t just apply to millennials, but also to previous generations.

On the subject of voting age, there is a strong arguement that the younger voters are actually more likely to vote according to their beliefs and the policies being proposed instead of just always voting along party lines. The people lost to politics are those that feel as though they are disenfranchised and that politicians don''t represent them, if you raised the voting age then that would just increase the disenfranchisement, engaging the youth is a way to get them interested and stay interested. It''s a bit of a cliche, but, why should a 17 year old be able to be sent to die for their country when they can''t choose who is making that decision?

Nice stereotyping at the end by the way, let me guess, guardian readers to the man of them as well?[/quote]

Starting with your last point and working our way back...

I expect there were a few Independant readers as well....

17 year old soldiers are not sent to the front line, and even then not many seventeen year-olds are soldiers....

The feeling of being disenfranchised is a symptom of not taking personal responsibility and expecting other people to fix your problems, the core point I am making....

Likewise, ''victim of circumstance'' is something I can believe of children but Milleniums are up to 30 years of age by which time they should well understand the requirement for personal responsibility. If you''re 30 and you feel you''re a victim of your circumstances then it''s up to you to fix it and not expect someone else to make things better for you. These tenets are not to be thought of lightly but are fundamental to who we are and what we do, so I appreciate you bringing these issue up. However, we seem to be losing sight of that, these days.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]No remoaner here, just someone who understands the true concept of ''democracy''. The referendum wasn''t a vote ''for'' something, it was a vote against something - but within that was the scope for the hardest of hard brexits and the softest of soft: how can anyone possibly know which of these was voted for/ wanted by the Great British public unless they put it to the test?[/quote]

You may well understand the true concept of democracy but logic is not your strong point.

The vote was either remain in the eu, or leave. If the vote to leave was against something then presumably the vote to remain was for something, so you cannot claim the referendum was a vote against something as 48% voted to remain. Unless you can explain what remain voters were voting against?

And just by-the-by, you say that leavers voted for something of which they didn''t know the outcome. But by the same token you cannot see what the eu will be like in the future, so you did not know what you were voting for either, if your point is true.

Why don''t we include on this second referendum, should we remain in the eu if there is a common taxation system introduced, or a common european army, or we are asked to bail out Italian banks? I don''t see your lot putting up suggestions for what we should or shouldn''t refuse as being part of the eu. Why is that?

It’s not the first Brexit, probably won’t be the last.

Was it the right or wrong decision, I will let you know in about 10 years.

My gut says it will be a bit unsettling but will be fine in the end.

Not saying the EU is a terrible thing, it probably is the future but sometimes life is about timing as much as anything.

A good idea, badly implemented that needs reform but is unable to reform.

One step forward, two steps back is quite often the way of things.

Another referendum? No not for me, we don’t need it, neither does the EU.

Also considering the size of Londons population and the fact it was very much in the Remain camp it was a poor turnout.

Acceptance can be hard but in order to move on it is necessary