Sign in to follow this  
stewfil

Darren Bent statement about Ipswich

"The next appointment has got to be spot on. Ipswich Town is a massive football club with massive tradition and a massive following. In my opinion, it''s a Premier League side which has been out of the Premier League for far too long."

I wonder if he''s OK

Therein lies the problem, still feeding off the distant past whilst ignoring the realities of the present.

Even talk of the impending recruitment of Paul Lambert in order to attempt to plug his fingers in the dam (or is it in the pie?) will take second place to the squirm inducing exhibition that will accompany the funeral of Kevin Beattie today.

It will all stop just short of beatification of the poor chap no doubt.

Now I am about as ''cold blooded'' as it gets and even a gnat''s fart contains more sentiment than I do in my entire body, so I am not one to comment. My embrace of existential nihilism is total.

However the tirade of gush that will emanate from TWTD and the environs of Portman Road today will, I''m sure, make even the most emotionally tender of those on here wince in embarrassment.

The full force of the binners constant history love-in will be on show today.

Be prepared.

Btw: RIP Kevin Beattie. Good player, decent chap. Deserved better.

Get you!

Don''t be so bloody stupid.

I was careful to show respect for the man and separated his end from the general need of their fan base to wallow in history at every conceivable opportunity.

Clearly the subtlety of that was beyond you, especially in your haste to jump on to your high horse.

[quote user="king canary"]Using the death of one of their players for a pop at their fans is pretty low.[/quote]

I wouldn’t engage him, he is an oxygen thief, I never do

Just because you say ''I''m not being disrespectful'' doesn''t make it so.

People build up connections and affection for footballers they see as their heros. I don''t think paying respects to one of your past greats is a subject for mockery, certainly not on the day of that persons funeral.

Maybe I just lack your finely honed moral compass though...

You are risking a holier than thou jibe from Hairy Kingo.

FWIW I agree with you.

Listening to Terry Butcher last night brought home how rotten that club is. It might have been City1st talking if you''d just heard the words.

That wasn''t your original point though was it?

You managed to raise your hackles at something I put that you thought might conceivably cause offence and managed to log on to the politically correct programme with all the ease of one totally unable to formulate an original thought process.

They can honour and pay respects to one of their heroes as much as they see fit. All the more creditable if they manage to do it without the usual history fest or using the man''s death to wallow in their past.

"Moral compass?" I just don''t get that bit. Morals in my book involve much more higher matters than comment about the funeral of a fellow being.

You made a needless and tasteless dig that you won’t apologise for. Still, if never being ‘wrong’ is your thing you’ve thoroughly succeeded there.

"You managed to raise your hackles at something I put that you thought might conceivably cause offence and managed to log on to the politically correct programme with all the ease of one totally unable to formulate an original thought process. "

This isn''t a real sentence, just a meaningless collection of words.

[quote user="king canary"]Using the death of one of their players for a pop at their fans is pretty low.[/quote]
Agree. I think the OP will be in a minority of one on this thread.
Kevin Beattie formed a big part in Ipswich''s success and that success should be recognised. For a celebration of someone''s life wallow all you want is what I say. I can''t see what harm it does.
Presumably the OP will feel the same way when it''s one of our players ?

I''d be very surprised if bringing in Paul Lambert is quite what Darren Bent had in mind when he spoke of Ipswich needing to get this appointment right [:D]

It''s not that surprising really, is it? Bent is a massive binner and always will be!
Plus, when footballers past or present are asked to comment on a team they used to play for, they''re not exactly going to be entirely savage with their quote, are they?
If he''d have said "I don''t care who the manager is next. They''re going down anyway. Tin pot club with a tiny following of fans who like to spend most of their days wallowing around cess pits. I think they''ve been out of the Premier League for too long but that''s a true reflection of how awful they are. As far as I can tell, they''re on a collision course with League One" [:D]

I''d be very surprised if bringing in Paul Lambert is quite what Darren Bent had in mind when he spoke of Ipswich needing to get this appointment right

I don''t understand why he didn''t name someone. If he thinks some will be wrong then who does he think will be right?

Maybe Darren has a magic wardrobe.... if you go into Darren’s wardrobe, after you go past all the designer kit ( there is quite a lot) eventually you will come out the other side and when you do there are Unicorns and stuff but also as it so happens there is also a place where Ipswich are nailed on for an automatic promotion spot.

Unlike at Portman Road where they are 50/50 to get relegated.

[quote user="BobLoz3"]
It''s not that surprising really, is it? Bent is a massive binner and always will be!
Plus, when footballers past or present are asked to comment on a team they used to play for, they''re not exactly going to be entirely savage with their quote, are they?
If he''d have said "I don''t care who the manager is next. They''re going down anyway. Tin pot club with a tiny following of fans who like to spend most of their days wallowing around cess pits. I think they''ve been out of the Premier League for too long but that''s a true reflection of how awful they are. As far as I can tell, they''re on a collision course with League One" [:D]
[/quote]

He should have added ......."I couldn''t wait to leave them when I realised that they were doomed to an eternity in the Championship so I jumped at the chance to join those giants of English football,Charlton Athletic.......and it''s never crossed my mind for one nanosecond since I left to want to go back there again "