Sign in to follow this  
king canary

OT- Whatcha listening to?

Basically looking for musical recommendations, old, new, whatever.

For me it is currently the new Idles album ''Joy as an Act of Resistance'' and anything by The Howl and the Hum.

Also, yes I''m aware there is a non football section but the top thread in there is entitled ''Films of 2013'' so I''m not sure it is really buzzing...

Classic FM
you cannot beat it''s smugness
" and I''ve had a call from Caroline in Upper Class on the Wold who says can we play that piece of music where all the dogs run across the hillside at four, as her daughter Felicity will be setting off for her music exam at that time
mmmm, you can just hear the gravel as the Audi 4x4 crunches it''s way out of the gate...
..........and here it is, the Winalot advert tune for the Gloat family"

Unfortunately City 1st’s “comedy” is about as funny as a gout diagnosis.

My favourites recently are I’m All Ears by the very talented Let’s Eat Grandma, two teenage best friends from Norwich.

Also enjoying Stranger Today by Our Girl, an excellent grunge/indie rock record.

Can''t stand Idles! Lots of my friends like them... Meh.
For me, music is a huge part of my life. I don''t tend to listen to all the ''newest'' records. But instead am always diggin'' in the crates trying to find something I haven''t heard, regardless of age.
Weirdly, I have been listening to the new Mac Miller album lots. It isn''t up my street as far as ''hip-hop'' goes but stands up as a decent record without having to classify it as a certain genre. It''s called ''Swimming''. It''s good.
Also listening to a lot of Anderson Paak at the moment, along with an excellent track by The Roots and Bilal called ''It ain''t fair''.
Shades of Blue by Madlib is a regular on the playlist and I also really like a lot of old African music (there''s a brilliant label called Analog Africa that releases lots of 70''s music from that continent).

Recently got into Big Big Train. Hard to categorize them as they don''t really fit. Sort of rocky and progressive if you like that sort of thing.

The Difference Machine and Grimspound are decent albums.

Bit of an oldie....Jet album  Get Born.
Saw them at the Waterfont before they become a bit famous, always enjoy a dip into the past.

For you old coffin dodgers like myself there is a facebook page called 60s Around Sounds that shows videos of exactly what it says on the tin. Tremendous timeless classics of all genres.

Yeah Circular Sound is still going strong. Others that I frequent are Beatniks, Fine City Sounds and Out of Time. There’s a national record fair at the Halls quite regularly too, and you can pick up most things at those.

Radio 3 (except Thur pm when it''s fecking opera (or Sat evening when it''s fecking jazz).

Shostakovitch (most symphonies, 9th favourite)

Debussy

Ravel

Vaughan Williams

Britten (Les Illuminations, violin concerto - janine Jansen!)

Tippett (concerto for double string orchestra)

Bach (J S)

Brahms

Borodin (Polovtsian Dances)

Bartok (music for strings, percussion & celesta)

Barber (School For Scandal overture, violin concerto - Gil Shaham)

Arvo Part

Messiaen

P J Harvey (till 2004)

Holst

Elgar

Tallis

Byrd

Gibbons

White

Palestrina

Boyce

Tchaikovsky

Finzi (Dies Natalis)

Mark Hollis (Mark Hollis)

I could go on ...

No, it''s what I listen to.

I also listen to (but less frequently)

Siouxsie Sioux

The Beatles

Neil Young

Bonzo Dog

The Damned

Joe Jackson

The Hives

King Crimson

Talking Heads

The Faces

Rolling Stones

The Who

Richard Thompson

Bjork

And many others ...

If that''s alright with you, City 1st

PS forgot to mention Eric Whitacre. A Boy & A Girl is breathtakingly gorgeous.

At the moment it''s a mix of:
A Day To Remember
Matchbox Twenty
Four Year Strong
Cartel
Deaf Havana (support a local band guys! Their new album is far more mainstream than i''m used to but James is a great lead vocalist and the album was number 1 in the charts for a week or two I believe). They have a song called Hunstanton Pier actually, here''s a link (alot slower than their usual songs) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te712XaVMgM

[quote user="ron obvious"]No, it''s what I listen to.

I also listen to (but less frequently)

Siouxsie Sioux

The Beatles

Neil Young

Bonzo Dog

The Damned

Joe Jackson

The Hives

King Crimson

Talking Heads

The Faces

Rolling Stones

The Who

Richard Thompson

Bjork

And many others ...

If that''s alright with you, City 1st

PS forgot to mention Eric Whitacre. A Boy & A Girl is breathtakingly gorgeous.[/quote]
now it''s a case of you being claiming to be
prolier than thou

Teemu Pukki
he scores without any flukey
and he''s our
little findland boy

Radio Cornwall during the day. When it first came on air it was shanties with a finger in your ear but now everyone is my age listening they do play mostly from my era onwards.

While relentlessly playing anything with the late Terry Kath, my favourite guitarist, playing I am listening more and more to soulful country rock.: Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, St Paul and the Broken Bones and a bit of Alabama Shakes

[quote user="TIL 1010"]For you old coffin dodgers like myself there is a facebook page called 60s Around Sounds that shows videos of exactly what it says on the tin. Tremendous timeless classics of all genres.
[/quote]
I was in a supermarket in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago and along with the forgettable muzak they played "The Days of Pearly Spencer", which will be evocative for those who can - just about - remember the ''60s.