Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Brentford Match Thread

Should have been easier for us in the end but equally Brentford are a decent team. Absolutely fantastic 3 points again.

Brentford looked good on the ball all match, but we defended well...but that habit of giving the ball away too easily crept back in today and invited pressure. I thought some of the players looked a little tired today, understandable to a point - winning game after game after game isn''t easy and some of them are still quite inexperienced.

Drab cold and wet day, equalled by the game.Shout out for Stieperman who absolutely worked his socks off, maybe not the greatest touch but makes up for a lot with sheer hard work and determination. The sort of player you need in the side on a day like today.
Also Rhodes, shocker of a pen again, but amazes me how good he is in the air winning flick ons which always seem to go to a yellow shirt, something we lacked badly last season.
With Leeds still behind, looks like a very good day.

Need different penalty taker but good result against a very dangerous Brentford team. Our defence is the best I remember in a very long time and krul has settled. Nice to win when not at our best our improvement since early September has been outstanding and coincides with Zimmerman,steipermann,Aarons being regular starters

Heard Greg Downs on Canary Call say that although City are doing well, they need to get in more guys in January, maybe another striker, centre half etc. I disagree with him, i think our squad is already strong enough and deep enough as has shown thru these last weeks, weve our share of injuries but are doing the business. The likes of McClean, Hanley, Marshall, Thompson etc all have to get over injuries, work up fitness then try to get into this confident squad, which will not be easy, given how well they are getting results. I see Marshall got on the bench today.
Think Leeds and Forest drawing is a better result for us than either side winning, means both drop two points. Well done City, another amazing week and now 18 points ahead of scum...that is incredible given how both teams were so close when they played each other.

Thought it was a good football match between two sides who like to pass the ball. Maybe cancelled eachother out a bit though.
Oh and these match threads get shorter every week......

Downs really gets on my nipples. He begrudges anything good about our play - I get the distinct feeling he''d much rather see us play Pulisball than all this clever pass & move stuff.

Having watched Leicester v West ham match I''d say the standard of football was higher in our game. We would need strengthening if promoted, but I don''t think we''d need wholesale replacements.

Downs pretty much said we arent good enough for promotion, if thats the case I''d like to know who is?

[quote user="ron obvious"]Downs really gets on my nipples. He begrudges anything good about our play - I get the distinct feeling he''d much rather see us play Pulisball than all this clever pass & move stuff.

Having watched Leicester v West ham match I''d say the standard of football was higher in our game. We would need strengthening if promoted, but I don''t think we''d need wholesale replacements.[/quote]
I found his commentary irritating and disparaging as he seemed to show little empathy with the players on the pitch.  We will need to improve if we want to be promoted - we were careless in posession too many times today, but in the context of the effort to win three games in a week, it was a strong and determined performance by all concerned. 

Downs is generally quite negative and although he likes to rewrite history since we are currently doing well he was never fond of Farke.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Thought it was a good football match between two sides who like to pass the ball. Maybe cancelled eachother out a bit though.
Oh and these match threads get shorter every week......
[/quote]
It''s a good way to check the City score.
2 pages by 4.30. City are winning and doing well.
5 pages by 4.30. City were losing but have fought back.
9 pages by 4.30. Oh dear, go and hide.

Ex-players-turned-pundits in general tend to be caught in the time warp of the football of their own day. Yesterday Greg Downes went on and on about the need for defenders to put their foot through the ball and clear it long, rather than try to pass their way out of trouble. He seemed totally oblivious to the constant loss of possession that followed every example of us doing just that, leading to extended spells of Brentford pressure. In point of fact I thought yesterday we resorted far too much to long, possession-losing balls forward (due to Brentford''s pressing high on our CBs and Krul). Our playing out from the back has improved enormously with practice; with more and more practice it will get better still. What long term benefit is there in just safety-first hoofing the ball forward?

Exactly right wcc. The ball comes back with interest most times, & playing your way out of trouble is always the preferable option.

However it does come with risk associated, & a big part of the art of defending is assessing those risks. Sometimes row Z is the best option, but with increasing team coherence & individual skill comes less necessity for the good ol'' ''launch it'' outlet beloved of the Hansen school of footballing philosophy (what''s happened to him BTW?).