Sign in to follow this  
Bill

We will be top.........

You could well be right and as I put in the Buendia thread:

Countdown (to promotion) conundrum: Will Daniel Farke''s Norwich City hit the top spot in the Championship before Paul Lambert''s Ipswich Town get from off the bottom spot of the Championship (if ever?)

Also: Will it be the first time ever that German managers (coaches) have topped both the Premier League and the Championship at the same time?

Is this the biggest gap 9in the table) between us and the binners this far into a season ?
So far we have not seen one club ''head of into the sunset'' which means that a couple of wins for us and dropped ponts elsewhere could easily put us top. For how long, who knows as it seems to be a bit like musical chairs at the top third of the table at the moment.
Our games coming up would suggest a better chance of maximum points, however caution is always neeed as that famous poet Rabbi Burns would have "
“The best laid schemes o'' mice an'' men
 Gang aft oi vey".
But others will point that we have achieved a tremendous run without pre season ''certainties'' Pinto and Oliveira, without first team ''regulars'' Hanley, McClean and Pukki.and have seen others such as Vrancic and Hernandez sitting out the starting eleven.
What the transformation has been is in the coaching, whereby I would suggest the work is done on an individual player rather than simply being focused on the squad as a whole. Yesterday, again, say players willing to attack, take on players and display individual skill rather than stick rigidly to a set formula.
There is however still a very strong unity of purpose (team spirit as was once known). It is the same spirit that was in abundance when we went up in 2004 and 2010/11.
If it is still to early for some to dream then at least sit back and enjoy........................ us at the top and them at the bottom

I hope we do Bill

But, this is purely conjecture.

"What the transformation has been is in the coaching, whereby I would suggest the work is done on an individual player rather than simply being focused on the squad as a whole. Yesterday, again, say players willing to attack, take on players and display individual skill rather than stick rigidly to a set formula."

Whereas your knowledge of where my information has come from is not ''conjecture'' ?

So it is conjecture.
Next time why not put up your thoughts re my comments rather than making up stuff ?

Had we not allowed Sheff Utd to score that injury time winner we would be top by a point now.

Not been around for a week and within a couple of posts of your first thread bickering with posters....Marvellous.

Glad to see someone takes an interest in what I post, if it is only you.
However I shouldn''t upset yourself if the same folk choose to ''have a pop'', as for some it is their only pleasure.
Whereas folk like us tend to enjoy ourselves in sunnier climes for a few days - though mine was a bit of a busman''s holiday so to speak, but no less enjoyable.

"Had we not allowed Sheff Utd to score that injury time winner we would be top by a point now."

There is that, but these things tend to even out, good fortune and bad luck in equal doses.

If we are looking for lost points I suppose the most glaring is when we handed the win to the baggies early in the season by missing a penalty and by Krul''s poor showing on the day.

That Stoke deflected goal may have cost us another point.

We are conditioned not to get ahead of ourselves these days but with 22 points gained from 27 since the derby game, and the subsequent international break, we are possibly well ahead of all others in our tally since then, and are showing top two form.

Of course the train could derail as it is football after all, but the facts deny caution at the moment.

The feeling that we can beat any team on our day has been in the distant memory of late but it is well and truly a valid reaction to the way we are performing nowadays.

As has been pointed out, this has been achieved with the loss of key players on occasions, whilst two of the Summer''s most significant acquisitions by expectation have hardly had a chance to feature.

[quote user="ricardo"]Had we not allowed Sheff Utd to score that injury time winner we would be top by a point now.[/quote]
the late one by Derby, not putting the paupers to the sword in Sept............
by the way how is the cycling going ?
Took it up myself a while back, loose weight etc
Almost lost two stone...........
..................... ruddy chain snapped half way up a hill and I hit the crossbar rather sharpish
Had to push the bike home - all the while singing tip toe through the tulips

Don''t you just hate it when people say we will be top.  Of course it''s possible - but there is nothing ''will'' about it.  Yes, we have been winning and showing great resilience and ability, but every game we have won we could have just as easily lost or drawn, the margins are that close.  The truth is it is going to be one heck of a battle to get to the top and there are no easy games, so  looking at the fixtures and thinking we will do better because of them is wrong thinking. 
I like to be positive and like to think we can get to the top and win every game, but there are no certainties in football, so no point in getting ahead of ourselves.  What looks certain is that we have a great set up and we should all be very pleased about progress that has been made - but that progress has to continue, ie the players and the team have to continue to improve - more goals needed, keeping posession better and starting matches better. 
I am not uber positive as many seem to think - I just refuse to accept defeatism and negativity and will always try to have a positive rather than negative view of a situation, but we should not get ahead of ourselves.  While the points are there to be won and I am confident we can carry on winning games, the certainty is never there - the future is not written - we could be top, we may well get to the top, but saying we will be top is just  wishful thinking. 
I hope we will get top spot at some stage,  I am sure we can get to the top, we sure have the ability to get to the top, but will we be top?  That is a question that can''t be answered - until it happens.

@ Broadstairs
Possibly the most promising and noticable change has been the individual improvement of so many players. And one that looks to be on a continual track.
Players like Cantwell who looked a bit ''flappy'' when he first played but gives as good as he gets now.
Likewise Steiperman and Leitner who are taking on players and getting past them. Tettey is not only to be seen in the opposition half but in the box as well !
So many of the players are showing a massive improvement which is allowing them to take the game to the opposition whereas last season we seemed to be a bit like Stan Laurel in the boxing ring where his only hope was to rush forward and clasp the opponent tightly pining his arms to his body - and then hanging on for dear life.
For us, gone is the tippy tappy keep the ball away from the other side. It is much more an ''up and at ''em'' style.
Keep this up and with the right results from the others we will hit top.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bill"]Keep this up and with the right results from the others we will hit top.
[/quote]
Ahh....qualifying it now......
[Y]
[/quote]
err, no
as
" a couple of wins for us and dropped points elsewhere could easily put us top."
do keep up old fellow

What''s all this niggling stuff for?

It puts a dampner on the warmish glow that the thread title should evoke in every City fan.

I, personally,would not now swap our squad, nor indeed set-up, for that of any other team in the league at the moment.

It follows that I think we can beat anybody on our day.

If we cannot get ahead of ourselves with the current longish run of results and the impressive performances that have led to them then we never can.

I think I''ll visit TWTD to cheer myself up a bit.

when I said ''that''s all''
you didn''t really think that it would be ''all'' from me ?
dear me old chap
to clarify it is no more that it is so tight around the top (points wise) and the top place changes hands by the week I was merely suggesting that it will be ''our turn '' at some point
ps isn''t it heartwarming to be one of those who stuck with the club - so many of the whingers and whiners seem not to be here any more

''twas him indeed
though I did omit the words
''my life''
which preceded those words

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Oh.

That *is* what you wrote. The extra hour of sleep clearly isn''t working for me.[/quote]
yep
nothing more than a gentle joke

[quote user="Bill"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Had we not allowed Sheff Utd to score that injury time winner we would be top by a point now.[/quote]
the late one by Derby, not putting the paupers to the sword in Sept............
by the way how is the cycling going ?
Took it up myself a while back, loose weight etc
Almost lost two stone...........
..................... ruddy chain snapped half way up a hill and I hit the crossbar rather sharpish
Had to push the bike home - all the while singing tip toe through the tulips
[/quote]Took a while to get my cycling legs back after not using my bike for a couple of years but enjoying it now. Had to relearn not to bump up the path thanks to going over the handlebars. No permanent damage (I hope)[:D]

[quote user="ricardo"]

Took a while to get my cycling legs back after not using my bike for a couple of years but enjoying it now. Had to relearn not to bump up the path thanks to going over the handlebars. No permanent damage (I hope)[:D]
[/quote]
I believe Douglas Bader had the same problem - had to wait for a pair to be parachuted to him. Though the Germans then took the wheels from his bike to stop him from escaping.
A little known story that.
And one''s dignity can soon be recovered, especially if not too many witnessed said stunt.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Had we not allowed Sheff Utd to score that injury time winner we would be top by a point now."

There is that, but these things tend to even out, good fortune and bad luck in equal doses.

If we are looking for lost points I suppose the most glaring is when we handed the win to the baggies early in the season by missing a penalty and by Krul''s poor showing on the day.

That Stoke deflected goal may have cost us another point.

We are conditioned not to get ahead of ourselves these days but with 22 points gained from 27 since the derby game, and the subsequent international break, we are possibly well ahead of all others in our tally since then, and are showing top two form.

Of course the train could derail as it is football after all, but the facts deny caution at the moment.

The feeling that we can beat any team on our day has been in the distant memory of late but it is well and truly a valid reaction to the way we are performing nowadays.

As has been pointed out, this has been achieved with the loss of key players on occasions, whilst two of the Summer''s most significant acquisitions by expectation have hardly had a chance to feature.[/quote]
We are doing a Reverse Lambert. His teams scored last-minute winners. We don''t concede last-minute equalisers. Not against Middlesbrough, not against Reading, nor QPR, or Wigan, or Forest, or Villa or Brentford.

We have already played the top teams so all our fixtures to the halfway point are against teams outside the top 7.

I''m confident that we will be there or thereabouts at Christmas but we still need to improve. We need to score more goals and learn to finish teams off when we are on top. We got away with it yesterday but only just.

“We have already played the top teams so all our fixtures to the halfway point are against teams outside the top 7.”

Last year, that was our Achilles heel though. We looked at our best against teams who played football and kept the ball on the ground. Look at the games against Arsenal and Chelsea. It was the lower table long-ball merchants that we struggled with. But it does look like Farke has fixed that, here’s hoping.