Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Credit for Webber

Lots of well deserved credit for Farke at the moment but important to remember what Webber has done considering some of the stick he was getting not long ago.

The team that started last night contained seven Webber signings and three academy grads who weren''t in the first team picture before he arrived. Only Timm Klose is a ''pre-Webber'' player.

This is made all the more impressive with the financial results released today. Man has worked miracles so far.
  • Like 1

[quote user="king canary"]Lots of well deserved credit for Farke at the moment but important to remember what Webber has done considering some of the stick he was getting not long ago.

The team that started last night contained seven Webber signings and three academy grads who weren''t in the first team picture before he arrived. Only Timm Klose is a ''pre-Webber'' player.

This is made all the more impressive with the financial results released today. Man has worked miracles so far.[/quote]
I think miracles is going a bit far, but he''s overseen a transformation that sees us playing great football with some superb players. A lot of it has been common sense and to be honest some of the success started before he got here in terms of bringing through players and being able to sell them on for big money which in turn has enabled us to have at least some money to build a squad. His key appointment - Farke - has enabled us to attract quality players and bring through the younger players.  He and Farke have in the process enhanced the club''s reputation for bringing through youngsters which is excellent for the future attracting youngsters to our club.
So yes, credit to Webber and his appointment of Farke....but lets not forget who appointed Webber....
Some won''t like it, but credit to the board too [:P]

We played three academy graduates (Aarons, Lewis and Cantwell) and three free transfers (Krul, Zimmerman and Trybull) - Pukki would have been a fourth.

Interestingly Pukki said he had more lucrative offers elsewhere, so clearly Webber and Farke did a good job selling the club to him.

In his post-match interview Rhodes was quick to point out the great feeling of bonding and happiness throughout the club and specifically mentioned the owners part in that.

There are some things that money can''t buy.

Webber has done a good job and I was waivering about how well he’d done at the beginning of the summer.

There is a bit of a mixed bag with signings still, but the club haven’t been afraid to admit mistakes and move on - Husband, Franke and Watkins all moved out with a year of arriving. This is a benefit of the Director and Head Coach partnership - Farke is under no pressure to play underperforming players as he wasn’t responsible for signing them. A manager who picks transfers will stick with poor players they have a signed in order to not admit they made a mistake (Alex Neil’s insistence on playing Naismith an example of this).

What is most impressive is the pre-planning. Bringing in Hernandez in January knowing that Murphy would likely be sold in the summer and his replacement already having 6 months experience of the club and league. Also giving Maddison a new contract before last season started knowing that he’d probably be a wanted man by the end of the season. A manager might not have made that decision as it would reduce their ability to spend the wages on another player.

Similar has happened with Aarons and Lewis’s contracts, they both had decent amount of time left on their deals - Aarons had only signed one in the summer - but by giving them a longer and improved deals it means should anyone come knocking for them the price is now

considerably higher.

Interested to see what happens in January. Not sure many new players are needed right now, but Webber may feel it is worth strengthening to consolidate a play off push (should Norwich still be in the top 6) - with Huddersfield he brought in Quaner and Brown in the January to push on for promotion.

I will judge him on the season as a whole but it does look promising. If he is as good as he says he is... happy days.

"I will judge him on the season as a whole..."

I''m quite sure that he''ll wait anxiously for your final decision, as will the rest of us no doubt.

Please keep us up to date on a regular basis.
  • Haha 1

You cannot possibly mention credit and Board in the same sentence.

They are mutually exclusive to each other.

Conventional wisdom dictates that Boards get blamed; whilst any credit to be dished out goes to anyone (thing) other than a football club director.

Hahaha Nutty gets it.

Ive seen staunch Farke outers still struggling to give credit.

Saying that, at least it holds more credibility than some that are saying our football is a million miles away in difference compared to the start of the season (its not).

Our football is finally paying off thanks to the team applying Farkes tactics correctly, the right players in the team be it young or old and the resemblance to Liverpool style is there to see.

Webber in deed deserves credit, though I’m still to be totally won over by him, he’s done a decent job so far.

Next two transfers will dictate just how much credit he deserves, as the wage bill has been vastly reduced and we’ve got funds to keep this settled side into next season, see how he resists big money offers should promotion not be achieved this season........no one can resist huge offers obviously!

I judge everyone on one game at a time. I am not really interested in five year plans etc.

Football is in the now. And now, my team is playing well and certain individuals, Leitner for instance, are looking class players.

If they are poor at the weekend, then so be it and say what you see. Don''t make excuses or reasons.Don''t embellish any performance with plans, the board or finances.

But at the same time, if we play well and exciting then say so.

Last night was as good a performance as we have had in the last two years.

[quote user="lake district canary"]
[quote user="king canary"]Lots of well deserved credit for Farke at the moment but important to remember what Webber has done considering some of the stick he was getting not long ago.

This is made all the more impressive with the financial results released today. Man has worked miracles so far.[/quote]
I think miracles is going a bit far, but he''s overseen a transformation that sees us playing great football with some superb players. A lot of it has been common sense and to be honest some of the success started before he got here in terms of bringing through players and being able to sell them on for big money which in turn has enabled us to have at least some money to build a squad. His key appointment - Farke - has enabled us to attract quality players and bring through the younger players.  He and Farke have in the process enhanced the club''s reputation for bringing through youngsters which is excellent for the future attracting youngsters to our club.
So yes, credit to Webber and his appointment of Farke....but lets not forget who appointed Webber....
Some won''t like it, but credit to the board too [:P]
I started to push the Board to go down the German route several years back.
Do I get a cookie?
[/quote]

Amazing how many people get all arsy if you are not 100% gushing... Just a simple adult statement and off they go...bless!

Farke is the one I hope gets a new contract and stays.. you can see he can clearly improve players..

Amazing how people rewrite history in such a short time. Less than 2 months ago "that''s the end of Farke". Now Farke''s the man and he needs a new contract.

What will it be come Christmas?

Yes...well that''s how fast things can change in football...few bad results and it will be Farke out again on here won''t it ? ... I reckon Farke is a good manager, as he has given youth a chance (with success) and has succeeded at creating a togetherness within the team.

Webber deserves credit for bringing quality personnel in at good prices...but I agree what has been said about the judging on the longer term. The season is not even halfway yet, lot''s of games to play! Yet I am feeling very positive , as I can see the lads really want to play for Farke ...

So to be clear Mike, you wanted him sacked after the start of the season but awarded a new contract now?

Glad you''re not in charge.

Without pouring too much water on this, I would rather have Webber than not for sure, but does this situation reflect on what went before he turned up in that role, and therefore putting extra shine on the job he has done , thus far?

We are not totally privy to what goes on behind the scenes, but when Webber came in, anyone worth their salt (he looks the real deal, previous incumbents in that well paid job, perhaps not so), would see what state we were in, and plan ahead with a workable strategy. i.e getting contracts in place for those assets, forward thinking signings etc.

Webber ''signs'' the players, well yes, that''s his job to stick his signature on the contract (probably) and also sort out the financial bits, but actually recommending the players to sign? Is that part of his job? If so, how does that work with DF and making final decisions? Seven Webber signings I think King said, but was he the man who dealt with everything regarding , spotting/scouting them, recommending them, etc.

I am a Webber fan, but he IS doing his job, and massive credit, as has been said, must go to DF etc also. Like I said, we have had one or two people in the role, over the years, who quite honestly, have been paid a lot of money and couldn''t run a bath.

Credit? Absolutely, but we were in a poor old state, so an improvement on this (behind the scenes) scale has been great, but we are where we are, and another acid test would be if we got promoted, and how the money/players/future of the Club is handled will show if Mr Webber needs a Norfolk knighthood!

Definitely going in the right direction, thank you Mr Webber et al

[quote user="Fuzzar"]So to be clear Mike, you wanted him sacked after the start of the season but awarded a new contract now?

Glad you''re not in charge.[/quote]

To be clear you are always right? How come you are not running the club?... this is fun!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Amazing how people rewrite history in such a short time. Less than 2 months ago "that''s the end of Farke". Now Farke''s the man and he needs a new contract.

What will it be come Christmas?[/quote]

Well we know that you''ll be 100% behind this board even if we ended up in the conference... balance

PS. You do know that I care not one bit for your pithy comments? xxx

Nothing wrong with being willing to change your mind based on the evidence you see in-front of you.

Much better than dogmatically sticking to one position despite everything.

Does anyone know how the transfer process works at the club now ? Driven by Webber but presumably consulting with Farke ?

I''m hugely impressed by the way the squad transition has been handled and particularly the fact that signings who didn''t work out eg Husband have been moved on comfortably while others have been allowed time to settle in.

Also how did we get Rhodes for the season ? If we end up getting promoted, if I were a Wednesday fan I''d be fuming about that !

[quote user="king canary"]Nothing wrong with being willing to change your mind based on the evidence you see in-front of you.

Much better than dogmatically sticking to one position despite everything.[/quote]

Exactly! I was wrong on my predictions (so far) and I am glad I was and will gladly hold up my hands... but the sanctimonious drivel spouted by a few regulars, who seem to believe it''s their board and no one else''s, means that any form of decent conversation is snuffed out by petty childish "you said this" and "you said this". Doesn''t bother me, I just do not contribute as much as I would (guess a lot of others are the same).

The first season and at the beginning of this season (apart from Jamal & Madders) I could not see any major improvement but it has started to click and I am glad Farke has proved me wrong...

I hope that we can continue to build on this and are not forced to sell one of our big assets again come January.

Looking forward to Saturday OTBC.

If i get called a range of insults from some on here for defending Farke because (in my opinion) I could see we were close to what was required and again, as an opinion saw enough in Farke to back him through a couple of poor runs, then I feel perfectly entitled to make sarcastic comments when some of those posters now talk about how great Farke is.

The best approach is probably not to swing drastically from one side to the other. To say Farke is useless and needs to go to being the best thing since sliced bread 10 games later feels like someone whos very, very short sighted and unwilling to comprehend or understand.

Except it''s nothing like Kingo and Mike are describing. I too was critical the first part of last season but changed my mind.

What I''m referring to is baying for managers to be sacked, hatred and bile dished out to people who are doing a good job. And in Mike''s case the billy big bolloxing about betting people who he disagrees with £250 quid that we wouldn''t trouble the top six.

If you two continue to spin it as anything else I will continually post the facts.

[quote user="Mike "][quote user="king canary"]Nothing wrong with being willing to change your mind based on the evidence you see in-front of you.

Much better than dogmatically sticking to one position despite everything.[/quote]

Exactly! I was wrong on my predictions (so far) and I am glad I was and will gladly hold up my hands... but the sanctimonious drivel spouted by a few regulars, who seem to believe it''s their board and no one else''s, means that any form of decent conversation is snuffed out by petty childish "you said this" and "you said this". Doesn''t bother me, I just do not contribute as much as I would (guess a lot of others are the same).

The first season and at the beginning of this season (apart from Jamal & Madders) I could not see any major improvement but it has started to click and I am glad Farke has proved me wrong...

I hope that we can continue to build on this and are not forced to sell one of our big assets again come January.

Looking forward to Saturday OTBC.[/quote]
Dogmatism certainly isn''t a good idea. Accepting one may have been wrong is a good idea. What irks are the posters who are all over the message-board when things are going badly, making doom-laden predictions, and who then strangely disappear at the slightest sign of an upturn. Various names come to mind, but a prime example is thebigfeller, who gathered wild plaudits back in August for one of his lengthy, unbalanced and highly tendentious attacks on pretty much everything to do with the club. I don''t normally "do" personal, but in it he did go out of his way to attack me:There''s one other frustration I have with you PC, and it''s this. For

want of a better phrase, huge numbers of your posts are either constant

apologia for the board, or too green-and-yellow tinted by half. On The

Guardian, after a summer in which we''d sold our best players and

recruited utter mediocrity, there you were, extolling our virtues and

tipping us to contend. There was zero reasoning behind this other than

your own blind faith.Today I actually looked to see what I''d posted on The Guardian:A long way away from mega-rich owners with a risk-taking corporate

background, I would keep an eye on Norwich City, who did the opposite to

Villa by making the tough but correct decision to start early enough on

cutting back their wage bill and their transfer spending to cope with

the loss of parachute payments. With the sale of Maddison and Josh Murphy the club should now be on

an even financial keel. And after a first season of transition and

getting used to English football, sporting director Stuart Webber

(ex-Huddersfield Town German revolution) and coach Daniel Farke have had

the chance this summer to get the kind of younger and hungrier (?)

squad they want.
No surprise at all to find thebigfeller had again been cavalier with his claims. I didn''t specifically tip us to contend, and there was certainly factual logic rather than blind yellow and green blinkered faith to my reasoning - which has so far been borne out - that we might at least be worth keeping an eye on. I cannot wait for our form to slum, so all this kind of poster can return, to delight us with their pessimism.

I was thoroughly unimpressed by our early season firm and predicted a relegation battle. I, like any other fan I guess, am delighted about our recent form and am thoroughly enjoying it. Long may it continue. However, some of the smug “I told you so” can become tiresome.