Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

New forum launches Nov 1 - what you need to do

This forum will be moving to a new platform on Thursday, November 1 (if everything runs smoothly).
What you will need to do before then:
1. Make sure your username is the one you want on the new forum as you won''t be able to change it on the new platform.
2. Make sure your private email address is correct as this is what you will need to log in. Just click on your name in the top-right and it will be on the screen that then opens up.
On the day:
You will need to click the sign in option in the top-right and use the ''Forgot your password'' link and then enter your private email address from above to be sent instructions on how to reset your password.

Any issues on the day then post them here or email peter.raven@archant.co.uk if you have trouble logging in.

Pete

I have updated the email address but it still logs me in on the old one.

Anyway surely for this to work a new password would be required?

That''s correct - the new forum login will be based on your private email address from this forum.
Passwords won''t be migrated over so that''s why you need to set a new one when the forum switches over.

I log in using an old e mail , as you will send new log in instructions to this address , do I need to change to my current one, if yes how do I do that ?

''Make sure your username is the one you want on the new forum as you won''t be able to change it on the new platform''

That will upset 1 or 2 on here.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]I log in using an old e mail , as you will send new log in instructions to this address , do I need to change to my current one, if yes how do I do that ?[/quote]
This worked for me buddy : -
[quote user="Pete Raven"]
2. Make sure your private email address is correct as this is what you will need to log in. Just click on your name in the top-right and it will be on the screen that then opens up.
[/quote]

CANARYKING,
Click on your name on the top-right of the screen, below the light pink nav and next to where it says ''Edit your details''
On the screen that opens up, put your current email address in the ''Private email'' field then hit the ''Save changes'' button in the bottom-right.

Pete - Like Nutty my email addy on here is 10 years out of date.

I''ve clicked on my name and wiped out the old email addy and inserted the one I use and it says

Email address is already in use, please use another one. I know its not possible for anyone else to have my email address so what do I do please?

A forum that works AND a winning team? What will we have to moan about?

Pete, a point that should have occured to me before, but...some usernames with odd characters, such "&", for example, stop the quote facility from working. You have to edit them out. Will the new system accept them or would it be an idea for posters to alter their usernmes accordingly?

On email addresses, my longstanding private email address is the one I want to keep, and it is where PMs to me get sent, which is fine. But a very old email address (for a service that no longer exists) is what still works as my log-in. And it appears in big letters at the top of my private details, but not seemingly in a box where I can change it. Is this a problem?

[quote user="Van wink"]I do hope that his new forum will stop people using multiple accounts.[/quote]
It looks like at a minimum they will need a different email address for each one, given what happened to Diane.

Afternoon PC.
I''ve managed to quote Indy_Bones with no trouble on the new forum but if you or anyone else has any examples of usernames with unusual characters in then please post them here and I''ll test them.

As for email addresses, the one you used to sign up with here which may or may not be relevant anymore and can''t be changed is not making the move across for those very reasons. Everything on the new forum from logins to PMs will be based on your private email address which you can update here. Sounds like you''re good to go though.

[quote user="Pete Raven"]

Afternoon PC.
I''ve managed to quote Indy_Bones with no trouble on the new forum but if you or anyone else has any examples of usernames with unusual characters in then please post them here and I''ll test them.

As for email addresses, the one you used to sign up with here which may or may not be relevant anymore and can''t be changed is not making the move across for those very reasons. Everything on the new forum from logins to PMs will be based on your private email address which you can update here. Sounds like you''re good to go though.
[/quote]
Hullo Pete, thanks for that info. As to odd characters, apostrophes currently mess up the quote facility, and that applies to a few usernames,such asParma Ham''s gone mouldy
and  the &, as in:

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

No name changes you say....

@Purple- I post on a couple of other forums and they don''t have this issue- I think any modern software can handle the odd ampersand

I''d be very surprised if a modern forum would have trouble with ''unquotable'' characters. That kind of issue just highlights the ancient nature of the technology running this messageboard.
I would also imagine that the new platform would include some kind of guaranteed upgrade path, so that we don''t ever again get left behind on a bug-ridden unsupported platform.

[quote user="king canary"]No name changes you say....

@Purple- I post on a couple of other forums and they don''t have this issue- I think any modern software can handle the odd ampersand[/quote]
Perhaps in the case of the ampersand user my computer just objects to the generally miserabilist content of the posts...[:P]

Pete - Serious question: will the new site be using HTTPS?

Hi Pete,

So just to clarify, the email address we will be using to log in with to the new forum will be our ‘Private Email’, and not the original email address used to set up the account initially? As my old hotmail email address that is still visible in my settings is long since defunct and I have no way of accessing or changing it to my current email address. However, where it says ‘Private Email’ I have my current gmail address and this is the one I will need to use! I’m sure many of the older posters will also be wondering the same thing?

Many thanks for your help,

Al

No problem with the ampersand PC although, interestingly, Parma''s apostrophe has disappeared on the new platform - I''ll get that looked at.

Hi Pyro,
That is the main reason for the forum upgrade. 
We''re currently rolling out HTTPS to all our sites across the country (you may have noticed Evening News has switched over) and the PinkUn site is on the list to switch over very soon.