Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Home Grown Player Rule v Sheffield Wednesday

Beginning to look as though the 7 home grown players in the matchday squad rule could give us big difficulties on Saturday.

With the news that Cantwell will almost certainly be out and the strong possibility that Louis Thompson will still be injured we''re down to the bare bones for senior home grown players. Rhodes also can''t play against his home club.

By my reckoning we''ll only have Krul, Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Marshall who fulfil the criteria. Oxborough could be on the bench for McGovern, but we''ll still be one short.

Have I forgotten anyone?

Unfortunately Idah hasn''t been with us long enough to qualify as homegrown player if I''m not mistaken. May be wrong on that though.

What is the consequence of breaking the rule? Forfeiting the match is obviously to be avoided, but if it’s a fine of £5K or similar then it might be easier just to pay up.

I think we do have the option of not naming the full quota of subs - which, ironically, is one of the penalties possible for breaking the rule. Having said that it would be dead easy to name any of the (qualifying) u23''s on the bench - it''s not as if we have to use them and if we did they might surprise.

Idah and Hanley both qualify as ‘home grown’.

Krul

Hanley

Lewis

Aarons

Marshall

Are the only players eligible as home grown who would be available and have played for the first team so far this season. Spots for a couple of youngsters on the bench, but also a sign how close the club are cutting it with the squad - the team will he weakened by not having sufficient home grown players.

[quote user="Mason 47"]Unfortunately Idah hasn''t been with us long enough to qualify as homegrown player if I''m not mistaken. May be wrong on that though.[/quote]
Correct
He signed for us in the summer of 2017 so he will not qualify until July 2020
However given that there are seven subs with only three able to play I don''t doubt that the likes of Hanley, Cantwell or some U23 player could make up te qualifying numbers on the bench.
Which might suggest that in Pinto and/Oliveira depart in January we should be looking at UK replacements - unless the club are happy to ''bend'' the rules by using injured or U23 players to meet the qualifying numbers
And in case anyone might be wondering Tues League Cup game does not have the same restrictions.

The rules were changed so under 18 year old players qualify as ‘club grown’ after being with a team for 1 season. This is why Max Aarons and Ben Godfrey also qualify as ‘club grown’ despite having only been with Norwich for 2 and a half years.

I note that the ''moral'' issue (and I use the term lightly) has been ignored in this thread.

The so-called home-grown rule is presumably designed to protect the English game in the wider sense and our own international standing in particular.

In this sense NCFC has not been a particularly good citizen to be in this position in the first place. We are all enjoying the German influx and the likes of Hernadez, Pukki and Buendia, but there are two sides to this coin.

Some might feel that I am nit-picking but it is not just the national team that needs considering as with more and more young players imported from abroad there is less incentive for our own schoolboys as doors are closed for them and opened for the ''Boys from Brazil.''

Naughty boy Stuart Webber ... but it''s great though isn''t it?

Of course we are far from being the only club implicit in this betrayal of our own and you only have to study the average Premier League squad to have this confirmed; and we then have the age-old argument that gave cause to the ruling in the first place. The PL could claim that they need the best to attract the worldwide television audience, whilst the Championship could argue that such a route gives them a better chance of getting a slice of that cake.

Discussion point, rather than complaint, I hasten to add.

Firstly Broadstairs it''s less about the ''English'' game and more about the British game/game in general. Of our ''home grown'' quota Lewis plays for Northern Ireland, Hanley for Scotland and Rhodes for Scotland (and Krul has played for Holland).

Secondly it''s kind of ironic that we look as though we''re going to have problems with this rule on Saturday and yet we have done more than most teams this season to promote the development pathway for young players by giving regular League starts to Lewis, Aarons and Cantwell.

The thing is for years we’ve had some very good English players, with a handful definitely worthy of more England involvement than they were given. But we were one of those clubs they like to overlook. For instance, Grant Holt should have had a call up that season in the Premier League, no question. So to be honest, I don’t mind where our players come from, I’m interested in seeing some young European/South American players with flair and real ability coming through at Carrow Rd, as well as the home nations talent that we are producing. It’s all about NCFC for me I’m afraid, club over country every time.

You do wonder how difficult it would have been for us if Cantwell and Aarons hadn''t stepped up this year. Marshall and Hanley both spending time on sidelines would maybe have seen us forced into keeping players like Husband or Martin just to fill quotas.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Firstly Broadstairs it''s less about the ''English'' game and more about the British game/game in general. Of our ''home grown'' quota Lewis plays for Northern Ireland, Hanley for Scotland and Rhodes for Scotland (and Krul has played for Holland).

Secondly it''s kind of ironic that we look as though we''re going to have problems with this rule on Saturday and yet we have done more than most teams this season to promote the development pathway for young players by giving regular League starts to Lewis, Aarons and Cantwell.[/quote]

Rhodes is English, he qualified to play for Scotland because he was educated there.

Idah isn''t he Irish. Comeback on Saturday for Jarvis will get appearance fee, will arrive on crutches. Injured players also may be used Hanley, Cantwell and Oxborough we''ll get within the rules somehow.

The ins and outs of the Homegrown rule are all a bit bizarre. Surely having to include higher numbers of players who have come through your own academy and are English is much more relevant to the future and progress of academy’s/English football? Just seems to inflate the price of English players and encourages teams to poach foreign players at a younger age.

I know if you haven’t got your 1 club developed player you can just name 6 subs. Can we do that with regards to the 7 homegrown?

There is a requirement to have on ‘club grown player’ in the squad and I think that is rising to 2 next season.

It isn’t determined by nationality as that would be discriminatory against people from other nationalities and therefore illegal.

Obviously the rules are weighted in favour of British players, as they will almost certainly be classified as ‘home grown’, unless they grew up abroad.

What does ‘club grown’ player mean? With the academy for a certain number of years? Or poached from a smaller club 12 months ago?

‘Club grown’ used to be 3 years at the club before 21 (and still is for the Champions’ League) but for the EFL it is one year at the club before 21.

As I mentioned earlier on this thread Godfrey and Aarons are only classed ‘club grown’ due to the change in rules. I think Passlack could potentially qualify as ‘club grown’ at the end of the season.

As far as I'm aware it would simply mean we wouldn't be allowed to name all 7 subs. The ones missing that should be home grown would be omitted so if we were one short we'd have 6 subs instead of 7. I'll imagine we will name a youth player that fits the criteria rather than do that though.