Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Lambert’s a binner

The thought of Paul Lambert with an 1p5wich scarf over his head at the new manager photo shoot sickens me.

Mr Lambert - if you are reading this.... just don''t do it !!

Oh hum. Can''t believe he is that desperate for the money.
Still if his last few jobs are anything to go by, it will see Pisswich relegated.

The precedent we can hope will be followed is when Harry Redknapp took over at Southampton after being at Portsmouth, and subsequently relegated them.

Taken to its logical conclusion that parallel scenario would then see Lambert leave the Binners only to end up with us again, where he''d win the FA Cup...

I''d settle for just the first half of the prophecy though, with Farke leading us to FA Cup glory instead...

If this is true then it''s a real coup by their altruistic benefactor Mr Evans.

Having got shot of a manager in MM who finished up being detested by their dwindling support he''s gone for someone who''s Yellow''n''Green connections will make him hated even before he''s appointed.........LOL,you couldn''t make it up,could you?

This is honestly one of the maddest threads I''ve think I''ve read on here.

Taking a job with the rivals of a club he''s not worked for for about 8 years shows a lack or morals and class? Get out of here.

And the idea of him not leaving a legacy- how is three of the best years of football we''ve ever had at this club not a legacy? Or helping players like Wes, Holty and Russ Martin become Norwich legends? Or the promotion to the Premiership that allowed us to become ''debt free'' as we regularly like to boast about.

His stock is sufficiently low enough for me not to care too much, and the group of players Ipsh1t have are pretty dire.

The upside if he does go there is Waveney will never again bleat about the Messiah''s return..... thank fcuk.

Back in 09 to 12 we had a great squad that was absolutely flying, Lambert, Culverhouse and Karsa were merely ingredients in that special time and since leaving us we''ve seen that it is not a recipe that easy to repeat.

You can never say for certain how a new manager is going to get on but I believe he was simply the right man in the right place with the right players at the time, and I think we owe more to the squad talents and unity for our success than the manager.

Whatever. I think it''s part of a grand plan to merge Ipswich and Colchester into a new team in L1, and then Lambert can be back where he once was.

Ginja

I just can''t agree with that- that same group of players got humped 7-1 by Colchester before he arrived. Worth remembering Wes was mainly seen as a lightweight, slow waste by most pre Lambert too.

Lambert played a huge role in creating that unity you talk about and quite a few players have been on record saying how great he was for them.

King Canary

Then why hasn''t he reproduced such talents at any other football club? The guy has flopped at everything since leaving us.

He''s Mike Walker Mk 2.
Right place, right time, right club, and right mix of personalities to achieve something phenomenal.
He can''t replicate it because his achievements outshine his talents.
Lambert had the stars align for him when he was here - the fact he''s not just flopped but been a disaster at every club since says it all.

I think it’s churlish to try and claim he wasn’t great for us. He was and we had a fantastic three years.

That said he was fortunate to inherit some real characters and top players in that squad who were far too good for league 1. He had Holt, Hoolagan and Chris Martin and the team had lots of goals in it. The sc*m don’t have that.

He also had a great partnership with Culverhouse and I think it was just one of those periods where everything clicks, momentum builds and things go your way. Basically every decision he made for three years came off. That hasn’t happened for him since at other clubs and maybe it was just one of those times when a manager and a club come together and it is just the right fit.

Firstly I''m not sure that is true- Blackburn and Villa all got relegated post Lambert which suggests maybe keeping them up wasn''t easy to do. Stoke have also continued to struggle since he left.

Equally you can argue why did that unity at Norwich not continue after he left?

It does seem to me it was the management team of Lambert/Culverhouse/Karsa that together did a superb job for us, and on his own he''s not really done anything since he left.

Would have to give them credit for turning around a squad that was really floundering when we went down to L1 and getting us up to the Prem and keeping us there, that''ll always be something special.

[quote user="king canary"]Ginja

I just can''t agree with that- that same group of players got humped 7-1 by Colchester before he arrived. Worth remembering Wes was mainly seen as a lightweight, slow waste by most pre Lambert too.

Lambert played a huge role in creating that unity you talk about and quite a few players have been on record saying how great he was for them.[/quote]
Half of that team were shipped out, benched, or humanely destroyed. It was lucky we had such a big squad.
    01 Theoklitos    02 Otsemobor    03 Drury    05 Nelson    12 Doherty    04 Gill (Adeyemi 59)    07 Tudur-Jones    11 Whaley    14 Hoolahan    09 Holt    16 Martin (McDonald 58)

Lambert was great for us but cant say Im even slightly concerned about him managing them. Hes been bang average since us and has a load of League One and Two players to deal with. Thats including signings this summer that came for Hurst, or played under Hurst previously, or both.

Pre season Hursts stock was much higher than Lamberts. If he goes, then bad luck to him.

Most intriguing for me is what exactly is in this for Lambert. Yes, it''s a job, but I would also say it looks distinctly like a poisoned chalice now and as we all know PL is really just in it for PL.
Only thing I can come up with is assurances that his job this season will be safe, whatever happens, in order to try and stabilise the club for a League One promotion campaign. If they stay up it''s a bonus.

So agree with Hogesar. If Lambert wants to manage Ipswich, that is his choice, but I can’t believe it would be his first choice. He is now a journeyman manager, and I hope it stays that way.

[quote user="Mason 47"]
Most intriguing for me is what exactly is in this for Lambert. Yes, it''s a job, but I would also say it looks distinctly like a poisoned chalice now and as we all know PL is really just in it for PL.
Only thing I can come up with is assurances that his job this season will be safe, whatever happens, in order to try and stabilise the club for a League One promotion campaign. If they stay up it''s a bonus.
[/quote]The stars aligned when he came here. It won''t happen again.

He can hardly perform worse than Hurst and any slight improvement he can claim is down to him. Relegation would be ideal for him as 1p5wich would be a big fish in a small pond. Win win for him I would say.

Ipswich adopting the "Norwich Way" then, problem is that they are ten years too late.

We now have a structured hierarchy headed by a pro-active DoF, a young progressive Continental coach who is beginning to make his mark in the English game and a young team currently careering up the league.

They have those experts on the game Evans and Milne I/C, and now Paul Lambert, who is surely fast becoming a footballing dinosaur, along with possibly Ian Culverhouse, with a somewhat mixed reputation, to complete their set up.

I know what I would rather have.

Lambert possibly has enough nous to keep them in the Chumps, but I foresee it all ending in tears.

[quote user="king canary"]This is honestly one of the maddest threads I''ve think I''ve read on here.

Taking a job with the rivals of a club he''s not worked for for about 8 years shows a lack or morals and class? Get out of here.

And the idea of him not leaving a legacy- how is three of the best years of football we''ve ever had at this club not a legacy? Or helping players like Wes, Holty and Russ Martin become Norwich legends? Or the promotion to the Premiership that allowed us to become ''debt free'' as we regularly like to boast about.[/quote]

You don’t get it. We obviously have very different feelings towards our club.

It’s a ruthless, brave decision which is very in keeping with his character but after everything he achieved here, it definitely lacks class.

[quote user="hogesar"]Lambert was great for us but cant say Im even slightly concerned about him managing them. Hes been bang average since us and has a load of League One and Two players to deal with. Thats including signings this summer that came for Hurst, or played under Hurst previously, or both.

Pre season Hursts stock was much higher than Lamberts. If he goes, then bad luck to him.[/quote]

More concerned if Culverhouse becomes his number 2! But let''s hope he cements his City status by getting them relegated.

Absolutely love the guy for what he did here. Three years as good as they come for a Norwich fan.

Can''t say I want him to see him there but it won''t take away from what he did for us.

Gutted with this.

IMO it tarnishes what he did here. He’s a man with shallow morales and actually has little respect for supporters.

This is a great move for Ipswich and will probably be the shot in the arm the club and the support need. He’ll get them playing for the shirt and improve the atmosphere around the place. I have no doubt he’ll keep them up...

... And who best to end Ipswich’s winless decade against us? Pantomime Villain, it’s Lamberts style and you be foolish to bet against it.