Sign in to follow this  
Dick Poulter

Refresh

Given the need to change things round why not tinker with the back four and start with a Doherty/Shecks combo for starters possibly Mickey Spillane from the Reserves/Academy

In the middle bring in Rossi Jarvis; did well against Inter Milan albeit in a friendly.

Hopefully Deano will be fit; and a big up for Mckenzie.

If the back four are more mobile, they can push up, the midfield likewise and we can pressure from our own half.

Given the mediocrity of the 1st six games; something''s gotta give!

Michael Spillane is imo a great prospect (tall, quick, agile), but to talk about putting him in the first team is daft.  I watch a lot of academy and reserve football and believe me the difference at first team level is vast.  I''m all for playing youngsters, but i''m not sure bout a 16 year old defender - Look how Shacks established himself in the reserves before breaking into the first team.

I think it would be a mistake to play Rossi Jarvis also as he looks a little weak at the moment, he is also very slow - although if I was going to start a youngster anywhere it would probably be in midfield.

Unfortunatley it doesn''t look as though the academy has any of the older boys breaking through so imo I dont see this as an answer to our problems, although I agree things need to be refreshed and quickly.

[quote]Given the need to change things round why not tinker with the back four and start with a Doherty/Shecks combo for starters possibly Mickey Spillane from the Reserves/Academy In the middle bring in Ro...[/quote]

Gotta love these posts suggesting Doherty be put in the team. I agree things need to be freshened up but putting Doc in for Flem who has been our best defender in the last few games is absurd.

[quote]Michael Spillane is imo a great prospect (tall, quick, agile), but to talk about putting him in the first team is daft. I watch a lot of academy and reserve football and believe me the difference at ...[/quote]

I totally agree with your points David. Jarvis and Spillane along with Matthew Halliday all look good prospects but they are certainly not ready to be thrown into the first team yet! Maybe a sub appearance here and there to give them some first team experience would be good but they are not ready physically or mentally for the challenge of trying to change our fortunes! Youngsters have to be treated carefully or the pressure and a lack of confidence can shatter their progression! Being a good prospect at youth level certainly does not mean that they will make the grade in the first team. Look at all the previous youth players who have promised so much yet have never made it in or even to the first team:

Andrew Brownrigg, Ali Gibb, Tom Ramasut, Dean Sinclair, Danny Bloomfield, Lewis Blois, Darren Way, Kevin Parker, Ross Fitzsimon, Joe Green, Damian Hilton, Johnny Wright.... The list is endless.

spillane is too young at this moment in time, but my first impressions are good. reserves at home tomorrow night so i hope to get another look. As gor jarvis, he didnt look weak when he kicked the soton midfielder into row Z last time out! Its a bit experimental playing him in midfield, switching him with howlett who goes to centre half last couple of games. I feel sorry for doherty, he seems to take the blame for everything... dont forget, he only played one game this season, some players have played all 6. As for darren way.. havent i heard his name recently? cant think where.

doherty - tall powering no nonsense defender, why people give the guy such a hard time is beyond me.

why not shake it up at the back , drop fleming and bring in doherty. Things can''t get much worse ,so give it a go.

You never know it might just work..........

[quote]doherty - tall powering no nonsense defender, why people give the guy such a hard time is beyond me. why not shake it up at the back , drop fleming and bring in doherty. Things can''t get much worse ,...[/quote]

For all the tosh I think you normally write ronbol I for once am with you 100%

As the ad goes whats the worst that can happen??

OTBC

The majority of strikers in the league are just going to try and bully our defenders like Hulse pretty much assaulting Shackell.  It makes sense to have the Doc in the team to mark these types of players and let Shackell/Flem look after the other strikers.  The Doc is a big guy and no-one is going to be able to bully him.  I''m afraid that in this league you have to play ugly football sometimes to get results.

"Ugly" being the operative word there, Saint.

I agree re Doc getting a hard time (as I am always defending him on these forums!) - imagine if he had made Shackell''s challenge against MK Dons???

He would have been utterly slaughtered on these forums and in the stands, everyone would have been saying "told you he was rubbish".

But as it was Shackell, nobody mentioned it.