Sign in to follow this  

Sad to think that he will be gone after Saturday. A one-off, I can''t imagine we will see his like again. Thanks for the memories!

2nd 3rd and 4th all the comments on here about Wes, an absolute legend. Applause on the 14th is an absolute must. It''s going to be emotional.

I am so pleased it appears Wes is leaving us in a proper and dignified manner, he deserves nothing less.

His talent and his ''journey'' with Norwich City mark him out as one of our ''greats.''

I wish him and his family all the best for the future.

Perhaps he''ll finally get that move to Villa?!

Great player for us, and other than that ''blip'' has been a great servant to the club and fantastic (if sometimes frustrating) player to watch. Probably the right decision for him to go now, and we get to give him an appropriate send-off.

Probably the most dazzlingly skillful player I''ve seen since George Best. Simply a delight to watch.

Favourite remark was a commentator saying the luckless defender opposing him would have to unscrew himself from the ground after Wes had turned him round (& round) for the umpteenth time.

Perhaps strangely the goal I remember most was against Sweden in the Euros - a right foot first time volley!!! Unbelievable Jeff!

Feel privileged to have gone to a midweek away game at Blackpool years ago ( we won 1-3) and seeing Wes at the time (their best player) and saying to my sons that he was some player only to feel delighted a few months later that he was signing for us! Great to watch and a sad, sad day this weekend. Like others have said, he and Holt represent all that has been wonderful these last few years. Yes I can see the Bryceland comparisons too.

I can actually see Wes signing for Stoke when Lambert finally gets a relegation on his precious CV later next month. Stranger things have happened.

[quote user=""]Probabaly the most naturally gifted player I’ve seen play for Norwich.

A few highlights for me;

Goal against Ipswich worth watching all four again   at home (4-1)

Goal against Leicester at home (4-2 I think)

Goal against Rotherham at home (last season)[/quote]TURN DOWN THE SOUND, LEICS

Our very own George Best. My favourite City player of all time. And personally I feel one season too early given Maddison is very likely off.

Players come and go, but when it’s a Wes Hoolahan then it’s different, very different. Gutted it’s finally come to the end, it has been an unbelievable pleasure to watch him on the Carrow Rd turf (not to mention away either). I really hope he comes back here in some capacity when his playing days are done as there will be a role for a man who will genuinely go down as one of Norwich City’s greatest evers.

All the very best Wes, and thank you - I hope Saturday you tear Leeds apart like only you can for one last time.

Absolute legend!

I still think he had another season in him with us but then again Farke hasn''t yet played him in his best position so maybe Hoolahan himself feels its better to go somewhere where he''ll be better utilised?!

I feel blessed to have been around for his entire Norwich career!

One of the few things Glen Roeder got right for us!

Those worried about our future with less funds available should take heart from the fact that 3 of best players of the last 20 years, Hoolahan, Grant Holt and Russell Martin combined cost less than £1M, about £700K!

Russ Martin has posted a brilliant picture on his Instagram of Wes, presumably on holiday in Catalonia, dressed in a full Lionel Messi Barcelona kit haha

So if he, Tettey and Russ all leave this summer, who is our longest serving player?

I think it might be Pinto and Klose.

[quote user="kingsway"]Absolute legend!

I still think he had another season in him with us but then again Farke hasn''t yet played him in his best position so maybe Hoolahan himself feels its better to go somewhere where he''ll be better utilised?!

I feel blessed to have been around for his entire Norwich career!

One of the few things Glen Roeder got right for us!

Those worried about our future with less funds available should take heart from the fact that 3 of best players of the last 20 years, Hoolahan, Grant Holt and Russell Martin combined cost less than £1M, about £700K![/quote] Good point this , just getting it right in the tranfer market can get you on track to success.

My God I will miss Wessi... great memories , what a player he has been for us

It can get you on the right track but players need to be managed correctly. Wes wasn’t managed correctly until Lambert came in.

I''ve followed the team since 1975 and have watched a lot of players come through our club. There have been some really outstanding players. But for me Hoolahan''s one of the best players to have played for the club. We are very fortunate to have had him for the last ten seasons. I know he can''t play on forever and at 36 I''m happy for him to retire if we had capable replacements. Pritchard and Maddison have been a long time coming !But there''s a massive balls up here isn''t there ? Webber is letting Hoolahan go, having already sold Pritchard and with Maddison''s imminent sale to a bigger club at the end of this season - whose going to play 10 for us ? 36 or 46 we needed to retain Hoolahan because we haven''t anyone better in that position. Hucks departure still cuts deep with me. But I think Stuart Webber could very well overtake Rodent to become the most hated Norwich Manager in our history. We have never had such an abundance of classy attacking midfielders on our books all at the same time. Yet Webber could very well dispense with the services of Hoolahan, Pritchard & Maddison in 2 windows.  Webber was a hero at Huddersfield putting together a group of low budget unknowns to box above their weight. To replicate that model at Norwich he disbands A grade footballers and replaces them with B grade footballers. This guy can sink the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid in one window ! Of course that could all change if he manages to keep Maddison but I doubt it.Under the circumstances atrocious decision by Webber ! 

Now is the right time to release Wes, before his abilities wane and allowing to boo-boys to get on his back in the way they did with Russell Martin. And you can be sure they will, even against one of the best footballers to ever have pulled on a yellow shirt.

Grant and Wes playing together, what an amazing partnership that was.

I''ll miss Wee Wes........but alas, nothing lasts forever......Maybe Wes will go to King''s Lynn?.......Keep in shape, get his licences and be their future manager?......

Off to Brum allegedly. Possibly. Maybe.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-transfer-rumours-wes-hoolahan-1-5490512

I expect he will be linked with a fair few clubs over the coming monthsso good luck to him wherever he heads off to

Great player, probably my favourite since Hucks and underrated by so many at various times of his career. Still think he’d have another season in him for us but in a way I think I’d prefer to see him drop down and get some regular game time rather than sit on the bench here.

King canary - if Wes, Tettey and Russ leave, I think Jarvis just pips those two (and Naismith) in terms of signings. Murphy will have been on the books longest though I imagine.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Off to Brum allegedly. Possibly. Maybe.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-transfer-rumours-wes-hoolahan-1-5490512[/quote]#Well it''s near Villa.... [:P]

I think there is some merit in what six pack is saying.

I don''t know the circumstances of course and it may well be Wes decision to leave but surely he could have been kept for at least one more as a sub to bring on.

AS with strikers, we have more goalkeepers than classy midfield players.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I think there is some merit in what six pack is saying.

I don''t know the circumstances of course and it may well be Wes decision to leave but surely he could have been kept for at least one more as a sub to bring on.

AS with strikers, we have more goalkeepers than classy midfield players.[/quote]But Wes is 36 now, he''s barely playing, and they''re trying to develop Cantwell.

He will also get a two year contract in the a-league or mls and extend his playing career. Here he would be a squad player for one more season and barely get a run out

This time last year we were excited at the prospect of having Wes, Pritchard and Maddison. Pritchard was on fire, Maddison had started to shine and Wes was on the back of good season, proving age was having no detrimental effect.

The discussions surrounding the trio also included how to play them. I even remember Paddy Davitt predicted that Wes and Pritchard would be the focal with Maddison as back up!

Anyway, less than a year on we’re having to come to terms with having none of them. Sad times, and an indication as to where this club now is. Which is an average championship side with no competitive advantage over others.

I would agree with some of the sentiments of Six Pack above. Huge wasted opportunity these last 2 seasons where we''ve had Pritchard, Maddison and Hoolahan at our disposal. We will end up selling two and releasing the other without having managed to challenge at all and personally with the impending departure of Maddison I would have tried to sign up Wes for one more year.

Anyway its not happening and it very sad to see him go. i really hope he does not go to another championship club as watching him against us would be hard to take.

Signing up Leitner would be a good start to preparing for the future without any of our little playmakers. Cantwell also appears to have had a very successful loan spell so I guess we just have to hope he can step up.