Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Teams going down...

Of the three teams looking likely to drop into League One, is there anyone who could be worth us looking at?

For example I remember George Honeyman and Lyndan Gooch at Sunderland being talked about as good young midfield players. The financial situation there is so dire I''m not sure they''d cost too much.

I''ve always liked the look of Tom Bradshaw at Barnsley and his strike partner McBurnie has grabbed a good amount of goals in his loan spell from Swansea.

Can''t see anyone I''d fancy at Burton though.

Yes, 0-0 both times. They seem a solidly drilled team defensively but we don''t really need any more defenders right now.

I''m with you on Bradshaw and have been promoting him for some time now.

A good goalscorer who nets his fair share at Barnsley.

Worth a look at.

Bradshaw and Waghorn replacing Oliveira and Watkins would likely invoke some improvement in the ''goals for'' column next season.

Cattermole is now 30 but would be more than a replacement for Tettey. And would continue Tettey''s yellow card total.

Not one for the future but on a free might do a job.

Wouldn''t touch any player who has just been relegated. We need in form, proven and confident players, not cast offs from a failed team.  They may be good players, but I would respect a player more for sticking with the club he has just been relegated with and try to put it right. Cattermole? No thanks.

Wouldn''t touch any player who has just been relegated. We need in form, proven and confident players, not cast offs from a failed team. They may be good players, but I would respect a player more for sticking with the club he has just been relegated with and try to put it right.

So staying with that thinking.

Are you going to say that Maddison isn''t worth £25M because he didn''t get us in the play offs or Gunn is responsible for conceding most of our goals against.

Rodwell, Gooch and Watmore are all young enough to have a chance to do better with a different club.

And to criticise a player for leaving is naive. They are there to earn as much as they can for their families and the chance to do better.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]

So staying with that thinking.

Are you going to say that Maddison isn''t worth £25M because he didn''t get us in the play offs or Gunn is responsible for conceding most of our goals against.

Rodwell, Gooch and Watmore are all young enough to have a chance to do better with a different club.

And to criticise a player for leaving is naive. They are there to earn as much as they can for their families and the chance to do better.[/quote]

But it''s not the same thinking. You are changing the goalposts, its about clubs who get relegated, not clubs in mid table. Imo players should have a clause in their contracts saying that if they are relegated, they have to stay on at least a year to help try and rectify it.  The current ethos where players think they can just move on if they are relegated is part of the problem struggling clubs have - some players are too quick to want to jump ship....the attitude is "Boo hoo I''m a premier league player because I''m in the Premier League" well sorry, you''re not, you''re a footballer in a failed premier league club, get used to it, buckle down and get us back again. It was part of the problem we had when we were relegated, one or two players still thinking they are PL and feeling hard done by because they ended up back in the championship...well tough, you got us there.  They should stay, give 100% to get their club back again.

@LDC

What utter fucking nonsense.

Do you not think that clubs maybe want to sell those players? That they need to reduce wage bills? That a new manager bought in after relegation may not want them?

You don''t half talk some crap.

Imo players should have a clause in their contracts saying that if they are relegated, they have to stay on at least a year to help try and rectify it. The current ethos where players think they can just move on if they are relegated is part of the problem struggling clubs have - some players are too quick to want to jump ship....the attitude is "Boo hoo I''m a premier league player because I''m in the Premier League" well sorry, you''re not, you''re a footballer in a failed premier league club, get used to it, buckle down and get us back again. It was part of the problem we had when we were relegated, one or two players still thinking they are PL and feeling hard done by because they ended up back in the championship...well tough, you got us there. They should stay, give 100% to get their club back again.

I think that would be restraint of trade LDC.

And I would hazard a guess that many supporters didn''t blame most of the players for our relegation from the Prem. I would wager many thought is was the poor team selection, tactics and player purchasing that was responsible.

Would prefer to pay tettey to stay than take cattermole tbh.

For sunderland existing wages will be high and probably prevent them joining us. As will the higher profile nature of sunderland. Oviedo, Cattermole and McGeady are simply too old. Honeyman and McNair would be the younger pics for me.

Burton are built on gnarled old pros (eg lloyd dyer) that shouldnt interest us, although Matt Palmer may be one to watch. There is no one in Bolton or Barnsley that takes the eye who are not loanees (Swanseas Ollie McBurnie perhaps)

With Sunderland I''d only really be interested in some of the younger lads who have broken through- the over paid old heads like Cattermole aren''t of any interest to me and wouldn''t fit our ethos.

Yes and I think that Watkins had the same amount of goals as Bradshaw has bagged this season (12, to be exact)Absolutely no reason that he couldn''t come and do a job for us. However, it appears that Reading and Leeds will be in for him. Probably just paper talk but, ya know.

Listening to talksport this morning they had Coleman on saying that he Didnt even know where Rodwell he is playing with the under 23''s does not want to play for club

a year left on his contract on 70 + k a week and when they go down he has a clause but he will still be on 44k a week and that will break the record for league 1

Not really the type of mess we want to get into that''s what we are trying to avoid with wages

Poaching relegated players is not Farke''s style. He''ll find us a bag full of young players "for the future", a couple of half decent Germans,and a couple of German duffers. And no new strikers.

(all above a little tongue in cheek).