Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Leeds

Dark damp and dreary in Norfolk today and although the weathermen forecast it drying up mid morning, it never happened.[li] I left my bike at the swimming pool and strolled towards the ground before finding my season ticket wasn''t in the usual pocket. After a good root through all pockets I still couldn''t locate it so in a slight panic went back in the hope I had dropped it when I parked my bike. No bloody sign of it! Now in full panic mode I went to phone home only to discover when I put the phone to my mouth that I had the ticket between my teeth and must have put it there when I locked my bike[:$] Mrs Ricardo says I shouldn''t be let out unaccompanied. The team looked a bit mid field heavy with Leitner, Wes, Vrancic and Madders all starting. From the off the game was played at a pretty good pace with both teams showing some nice moves. Murphy almost had an opening in the fourth minute but The Leeds defence blocked his shot away while down our end a strong cross was palmed away from danger by Gunn. There were some lovely quick passing movement from the City quartet but shots on goal were strictly limited in the opening quarter. I have to say I was quite impressed by Leeds, they came to play and never looked like sitting back.There was little in it, but the home side started to have more of the ball and Murhy brought a save out of Peacock which the keeper parried and claimed at the second attempt. A couple of corners were dealt with and then Madders worked space only to shoot high over the bar from eighteen yards. At the other end some sweeping Leeds moves foundered on the rock that was Hanley and Klose. As City pressed a ball in from the right was pulled back a yard too much for the in-rushing Oliviera and the visitors scrambled the ball away for a corner.Although the game was entertaining I was beginning to bemoan the lack of goalmouth action when ref John Brooks gave Leeds a free kick on the left for what seemed an innocuous foul by Hanley. Gunn punched away the initial swerving cross and the danger seemed averted until Philips volleyed the dropping ball some thirty yards out and straight into the corner of the City net. A great strike indeed and totally in keeping with many home games this season that saw us go behind out of virtually nothing. For a few minutes we were at sixes and sevens as City''s defensive cohesion went out of kilter and Leeds might have had another when a shot rippled the side netting.With half time approaching fast it needed some one to step up to the plate and right on cue the little master had his say. A shift of the ball from right to left and a shimmy beyond the defender before sending the ball over the keeper and in off both posts. Yes, Yes I here you say, what about the deflection? Indeed, it took a vicious one off a defenders foot but why take anything away from the City talisman on his special day. It was a moment to savour among many that this great servant of our club has given us and the way the stands erupted will live long in the memory.So all square at the half and when the second period began it was much of the same with the game flowing from end to end. Leeds pressure was ridden and then City came away with Murphy prominent on the left. Olly shot high and wide and then Madders couldn''t quite find a pass in a crowded area. A Vrancic free kick didn''t beat the wall and Leeds broke with pace only for the final pass to thankfully be over hit.It was hectic stuff now and a lovely tight passing move got Madders into the area and a shot on goal that Peacock saved magnificently to his left at the expense of a corner. Then it was Leeds coming away again and this time Gunn had to go full length to his right to push a well struck shot away. The City keeper then did well to clutch a swirling free kick from the left as the visitors threatened again. It seemed a goal must come and mid way through the half it did. Again it was nice tight passing on the right of the area with Vrancic, Leitner and Wes involved. When Murphy received the ball he was at a tight angle but the power of his shot was too much this time for Peacock and City deservedly went ahead.Oliviera went off for Srbeny as we moved beyond eighty minutes and then to an enormous standing ovation the little maestro made way for Tom Trybull. Then Vrancic managed to whack one over the angle before Madders finally got his curtain call and the game moved into time added. Despite a bit of pressure and a couple of wild Leeds shots, the defence saw time out fairly comfortably for a fitting three points.MOM? who else could it be? For a final game I doubt anybody could have written a better script for him. We stayed on to give him a wave. He will be badly missed.Wes, thanks for the memories[:D][Y]

Couldn''t get it on iFollow today Ricardo and listened to the second half on Ustream.

Seemed very entertaining, very much like your episode with your ticket.

Has Murphy finally clicked into the real Josh Ricardo? If so, he may well be the franchise winner next season.

Nice report ricardo and yes, had to be Wes''s fay today all round. Happy you found your ticket to, in between your teeth.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Couldn''t get it on iFollow today Ricardo and listened to the second half on Ustream.

Seemed very entertaining, very much like your episode with your ticket.

Has Murphy finally clicked into the real Josh Ricardo? If so, he may well be the franchise winner next season.[/quote]Still tends to lose concentration at times but when he''s good he''s really good. Will be better next year IMO.We had a few minutes of Hernandez right at the death and I think he also could be a real asset next year.

Cheers Ricardo. One slight adjustment, for their goal. As you said, Angus punched it out, and one of their players tried a volley, but miscued it and it fell into Phillip''s path, and as good as strike as it was (because it went in from that distance) we all (around us) felt that it was a chance to nothing, and a bit of a ''why not, I''ll hit it and hope'' about it. Whichever way , it was bloody annoying, as you say, it came out of the blue.

Yes, we''ve suffered from a few of those this season. Morison''s effort for Millwall being one example.

Thanks Richards. Always enjoy your reports. Decent game today considering there wasn''t much on it for the send of season and good atmosphere for the big send off.

Can''t get my head round how you could have walked all the way back to your bike with the ticket in your mouth! Made me laugh at least.

Sounds crazy I know but I swear I didn''t realise until I lifted the phone up to my mouth.😀

Murphy was frustrating 1st half and brilliant in the 2nd.

However he was no worse than anyone else first half yet received constant abuse yet again from a large section of our so called supporters. Embarrassing treatment of one of our own and I’d had enough yesterday and let a lot of the ‘fans’ know my feelings. Funny how they like giving feedback but aren’t keen on receiving it. I pay my money too blah blah blah...

Felt like the old cliche of a game of two halves.

The first half felt like a summary of everything we''ve done poorly this season- lots of slow sideways passing, loads of possession but no penetration. When we did get forward we were finding joy in the channels but didn''t have anyone in the box to try to play it too.

However in the second half we moved the ball quicker, got forward in numbers, pulled the Leeds defenders apart and used the space well. By the time the white blew we could have scored 3 or 4.

Like you Ricardo I''d been concerned about the midfield 5 as they are all quite lightweight but they worked very well. I was particularly impressed by Vrancic and Reed today and Murphy is a real difference maker even if he''s inconsistent.

All in all a lovely send off for Wes and there are some positives to take into next season, especially in defence.

@zac

Yes I don''t quite get the frustration people have with Josh. 7 goals in 40 league games from midfield for a team that doesn''t score many is a very good return.

He''s become a very decent championship player and his pace is something that keeps defences on their toes.

[quote user="king canary"]Felt like the old cliche of a game of two halves.

The first half felt like a summary of everything we''ve done poorly this season- lots of slow sideways passing, loads of possession but no penetration. When we did get forward we were finding joy in the channels but didn''t have anyone in the box to try to play it too.

However in the second half we moved the ball quicker, got forward in numbers, pulled the Leeds defenders apart and used the space well. By the time the white blew we could have scored 3 or 4.

Like you Ricardo I''d been concerned about the midfield 5 as they are all quite lightweight but they worked very well. I was particularly impressed by Vrancic and Reed today and Murphy is a real difference maker even if he''s inconsistent.

All in all a lovely send off for Wes and there are some positives to take into next season, especi ally in defence.[/quote]That appears to be the way we are playing it at the moment.Get the ball down to the by line and then knock it back for a shot. Whether that is the intent for ever more, or jus a reaction to the strikers we currently we will have to see.The faster play suggests that possibly we have escaped from any relegation fears and are able to play a more open game. Certainly both Reed and Lewis were getting forward, and Onel looks to be one for the future. Fast paced and direct.As to the defence they looked well solid. Hanley and Klose are ''throwbacks'' to the days of two hefty chaps at the back. Lewis has come on incredibly fast, and is not afraid to run with the ball out of defence. Likewise Reed has grown into the job at RB. A tremendous improvement over the past few weeks..But the real positive is seeing what the right coaching and signings can achieve I''m certain that those we loose this summer will be replaced.

Sounds crazy I know but I swear I didn''t realise until I lifted the phone up to my mouth.😀

Well at least you lifted the phone to the correct place so that is encouraging.

Did it again this morning KG. Spent twenty seconds pressing the button at Sainsburys car park before noticing the barrier was already open. Oh dear.😀

[quote user="ricardo"]Did it again this morning KG. Spent twenty seconds pressing the button at Sainsburys car park before noticing the barrier was already open. Oh dear.😀[/quote]My uncle had a similar problem.He told me he would get halfway up the stairs then forget what he was going for...

.... I didn''t have the heart to tell him he lived in a bungalow 

Swept the kitchen floor the other day and put the dust pan in the fridge.

But I looked at the positives and said that at least I remembered where the broom was.

Sat Nav for the bicycle Ricardo? Don''t forget to take your clips off or you''ll get a DVT!

Big Ears, yeah, I''ve done that as well. The worst of it is when you get back downstairs you suddenly remember what you were looking for and have to go back up.😀