Sign in to follow this  
gissing canary

Summer Transfer Window - Reasons to be optimistic

Everyone knows that the issue around us over the last 3 Windows has been wage bill. First of all January helped, with the Pritchard money, but I am also quietly optimistic about the summer.

Contract expiry:

Wes - hero, but probably (25-30k) and wasn’t playing.

Tettey - stays on less or goes (again no offence meant to him, but probably 20-30k)

Jones - tiny amount.

Jarvis - expires next summer, probably 20k. A chance we could settle / loan out, with only 1 year, someone might off 2 year on less money,

Naismith - 35k, ditto above.

Martin - 20-25k, ditto above.

McGovern - 20k ditto.

Klose & pinto - 1 year left, we can keep or replace with similar players for same money.

In total that’s about 140k off the wage budget if we can move them on, which I am optimistic about. And other than tettey, Klose and pinto - not an effect on first team.

Unwanted players;

Wildschut- think we would get 2-3m for

Olivera - I like him, but isn’t working out. 2-3m.

Franke - maybe 1m

Stiepermann - maybe 500k, is 3rd choice left back and about 6th choice midfielders

Watkins - looks a 1m exit.

Other than tettey, pinto, Klose and Olivera - that’s a lot of wages gone / money in and no impact on the first 18 and we could potentially keep all of them or sign better ones. If Webber and Farke get it right we should have a lean wage budget and a few mill to spend on a couple of players (we have a huge squad with the 5 guys maybe coming back). It could be fun!

Time to be slaughtered by the negative people.

It''s going to be interesting and I agree with a lot of what you say. I do think Stiepermann has something to offer and once he gets fully fit and a run of games in his best position, I think he might surprise a few. 

Jarvis - expires next summer, probably 20k. A chance we could settle /

loan out, with only 1 year, someone might off 2 year on less money,Good grief .......20 K ? I think you can double that and who on earth do you think would either want him on loan or offer a two year contract to a player who has not left the treatment room for the last couple of years ?

I think you''re overestimating how easy it is going to be to get Jarvis, Naismith and McGovern off the wage bill to be honest.

I''m more interested in players coming in and what it seems we have no many high wage players still to get rid off, but its the quality of players coming in I''m more interested in and we will continue to shop cheap no matter our wage bill.

I can see another significant summer of squad changes - and who we bring in may depend on who we are able to remove from the wage bill, we have seen over the last two windows it is not easy.

With Maddison leaving we will be under no further financial pressure to sell although I doubt we will be spending much on fees. So offers for other players should be rebuffed unless high and hopefully we can land Leitner as JMs replacement.

With Raggett not impressing enough to even get a run out ahead of the 3CBs we will need another should klose leave.

I do think we need a right back - perhaps Ola Aina on loan from chelsea would suit - as well as a pacier striker - perhaps the raw Mo Eisa of cheltenham is worth a punt.

We will be helped by having players like Godfrey and Matthews coming back in to soften the blow of Tettey and Gunn possibly not being here. Godfrey also offers some versatility as he''s played central defense before also. I also think this versatility means we''ll keep Stiepermann.

We''ll need to make smart use of the loan market clearly and I''d imagine most of our budget is going to be aimed at strikers.

When Fulham were relegated from the Prem, they virtually had to build a complete squad.

Not far down the line and they look well set for promotion. With some decent loans and one two from the ranks they, along with an astute coach, have shown us how to play the possession game properly.

If we can equal what they have done next season then this one will just seem a distant memory.

So I hope the staff have their targets set and do their business quickly.

I agree on Steipermann as a DCM option; running the season with just Godfrey as a first year player in the champs and Thompson with his history would be naive.

Neither Trybull nor vrancic are physical enough for that lead DCM role and both offer much more when partnered with a dedicated mopper upperer.

I would feel more optimistic if we could get Naismith, Martin, Olivera, Watkins and Wildschut off our wage bill; with the majority of that money being spent on attacking players.

I also hope Farke plays a more attacking style next season, especially at home. How often have we seen every player in the box for corners and free kicks yet the opposition still score. Apart from players getting in each others way, we have no outlet and the ball comes straight back in again.

When we do break out quickly there is never enough players in support.

The more defensive approach away from home clearly works, and this has been reflected in the amount of away points we have gained.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Jarvis - expires next summer, probably 20k. A chance we could settle /

loan out, with only 1 year, someone might off 2 year on less money,Good grief .......20 K ? I think you can double that and who on earth do you think would either want him on loan or offer a two year contract to a player who has not left the treatment room for the last couple of years ?[/quote]

Saying that, theres no way mcgovern is on £20k a week. Maybe half that.

I certainly think it''ll be an interesting summer but we have to be careful we dont turn the squad over too much.

I think the likes of husband will stick around.

I''m somewhat deluding myself with hope that Maddison might stay another year even if it does mean we sell him to liverpool with a season long loan as part of the deal. It makes sense other than potentially slightly stagnating hos rapid development although it would be a risk to send him to a lower prem team anyway who will be playing for 0-0 half the time vs the big boys. I hope if he is playing prem footy next year its with a team like bournemouth who arent scared to be bold and attack.

Anyway, as for incoming, we are going to have to be clever and use the lower leagues as well as abroad because of the home grown rule we are close to. We could do a lot worse than getting morris and godfrey to have a word with Henderson, Nolan and Beckles from Shrewsbury. Marriott and Maddison look like useful players ready for the championship as well from pboro.

Hard to know what we can agree for naismith, martin and co who obviously dont command their big salaries and arent even up to standard for us but hopefully some sort of mutual agreement will happen. As for jarvis, i almost think unless someone offers to take his whole wage (unlikely) we might as well keep him here and hope somehow he is ready for next season and gets a bit of luck with his injuries as he could be a big player at this level if hes even half the player he was when he first played for us. Funny how thompson gets crocked for 2 years but the fans love him whereas jarvis has that and everyone is on his case. Neither of them deliberately got injured and we will probably have insurance to cover some of their costs anyway.

Lets finish on a high first, finish above dirty leeds and the scum and then bring on the world cup (even if it is in putinland)!

As i have said before it is not really the signings that i am worried about next season we have good players here now its more if Farke can get the team to attack better more fluid and create the chances

the deadwood can go and we can sign young fresh good players strikers who have scored goals at every level etc but if the tactics do not change we will not win games due to lack of goals

A few things are pretty likely, going on the last couple of Webber windows, in that the start of the close season will be the outgoings time, and we have seen Webber does not hang around with outgoings, so expecting him to be quite ruthless as usual, even though of course the Naismiths, Martins, Wildschuts may present a sticky situation. Then will be a period of seemingly no activity and as the weeks roll on, some fans will get impatient and wonder who and if at all we are going to get incoming. Then out of the blue guys  come in.Im not going to guess who  goes out and who comes in, but wont be surprised if it reaches double figures, especially the outs.

Watching the game yesterday it dawned on me that counting the loan players 8 of the side That started may not be here next season and tettey and pinto could be added to That list. If we have anything like that turnover we will do well to match this seasons position. In addition Naismith frank and wildschutts futures need to be resolved

The outs are certain to include:

Maddison

Gunn

Reed

Hoolahan

Klose

Wildschut

Martin

Tettey

Oliveira

Pinto

Jarvis (ret)

Husband

Leitner

But this season has been rubbish and boring and loads of people haven’t renewed so there’s little to worry about.

I have faith in Webber/Farke et al (never leave out Al) to deliver.Players have been coming on in leaps and bounds - though I would prefer it if they just made a sign of the cross and ran onto the pitch instead.The players we have are not a finite resource, we will sign others. And at a cost that we can meet. I doubt Vrancic, Trybull and Leitner cost anything near what Pritchard, Dorrans and Howson cost ... in wages alone.Fans will need to get used to the fact that on our budget we will not be able to sign ''ready made'' players, but will be reliant upon developing players. We have already set that system in motion and I look forward to Onel, Fonkeu, Phllips and others stepping up.For all the whinging I have been impressed with the way Reed, Hanley Vrancic and Lewis have improved this season. Josh looks to be getting back his old self as well.Something is going right if we have been able to develop these players, have been able to sign promising youngsters and installed/encouraged a sense of belief and commitment in the squad.i expect there will be a few familiar faces moving on this summer, but that is the nature of te game, just as whining from certain fans is as well.Roll on August, says I ... just a small matter of letting them lose at Hillsborough first - shades of May 1982.