Sign in to follow this  
pete

Wes Testimonial Really?

Not gonna happen this season what is left. If not when Wes maybe off to Birmingham possibly next summer. Too far in future to be meaningful. A disgrace could not be arranged had a year to do so.

Left us with a cameo. Thanks for the memory.

I thought yesterday, particularly as it turned out, was better than a testemonial. Appreciate the financial aspects for Wes, but does he really need the money?

Yesterday , in league game terms was as close to one as you''ll get ...the guard of honour, leading his kids out, the substitution to a standing ovation and even a goal in front of the barclay, didn''t even need to contrive a penalty as may be the case in a testimonial!

OP reeks of someone who "Watched it on tha radio Neaaal"

I cant think of a more fitting send off than yesterday?

Score a goal (check)

Set up a goal (check)

Captain the team (check)

Win the game comfortably (check)

Subbed off for standing ovation (check)

Come out to honour guard (check)

Comes out to KC&Sunshine Band (check)

Club plays same song when Wes scores (check)

Lap of honour (check)

WTF more would you want? Fairy tale ending to his Norwich Career.

The least surprising thing of any of the billions of things that happened on planet earth today. Pete calls something to do with Norwich City a "disgrace".

I reckon he will move abroad somewhere sunny for a year or 2. Think it could work really well having a testimonial in a years time, like a little reunion and we get to see wes back in a norwich shirt. We have one "norwich legends" game already this summer so wes can have next years.

Talking of long serving players, how long has russell martin been with us. Obviously hes not up to scratch anymore but he is another norwich legend deserving of a proper send off in my eyes.

Feel free to tell me I''m wrong, but aren''t testimonials a bit of an anachronism? In the days when players were well but not outstandingly paid, it was a financial boost to get loyal club stalwarts started on their new career as a pub landlord or whatever.

Nowadays when an average championship player is probably on £5-10K a week, i.e. earning several million over 10-15 years, the money raised is likely to be insignificant. A testimonial for Wes would be purely for sentimental reasons. But stick, beat club etc. etc.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]I believe it’s ten years next year, another testimonial anyone ?[/quote]

He was definitely signed in the summer of 2008...

I''m to tired and full of cold to work out whether that also equates to 10 seasons...or even if that''s the criteria?

Nowadays when an average championship player is probably on £5-10K a week, i.e. earning several million over 10-15 years, the money raised is likely to be insignificant. A testimonial for Wes would be purely for sentimental reasons. But stick, beat club etc. etc.

Most players that are well off / set for life give all the money from testimonials to charity which is a fantastic idea

[quote user="pete"]Not gonna happen this season what is left. If not when Wes maybe off to Birmingham possibly next summer. Too far in future to be meaningful. A disgrace could not be arranged had a year to do so.

Left us with a cameo
. Thanks for the memory.[/quote]eh ?He played almost all the match, and maybe this is how he wanted to bow out.A game/day dedicated to him rather than wait until next season to play a game in his honour, when the ''day'' will have gone.For me this was a far better occasion. Even his goal had the touch of a ''testimonial'' feel about. And the cheering that followed was not only loud, but heartfelt as well.It was a great day and certainly an end of an era in so many ways. As far as others are concerned my words are far chem. This was about us as a club and about one of our own, nothing to do with odious shytes like bin folk or tettley tea folk (Leeds).It was about us..... and Wes.

Personally, I’m looking forward to Wessi’s testimonial - would be great to see Hoolahan and Holt playing together again, wouldn’t miss that for the world. And it gives those who couldn’t be at Carrow Rd on Saturday on short notice of Wes’s departure a chance to also thank him for 10 magical years - every supporter should have that chance.