Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Van Wolfswinkel allowed to leave Basel.

I realise his signing was a big moment in our recent history and that Wolfie''s failure to produce the goods probably cost us our place at the top table, but I, for one take no pleasure in going over all the old ground yet again.

Hopefully the club will have learnt eventually from this fiasco, so that is something. I say ''eventually'' as we have subsequently had the Naismith signing to contend with which has been, imo, a more destructive and more long-term disaster.

We at least recouped a teeny bit back from the Wolfswinkle deal whilst that for SN has been a continuous drain without success or end.

RVW was indeed a big deal for us at the time and our record signing, but it is worth noting that in the relatively short time since he graced Carrow Road with his silky skills and his eye for goal transfers of £8m have become commonplace and indeed can be viewed as peanuts by comparison (£12m Murphy, £20+m Maddison.)

When we eventually go up again (hic!) and are once again enriched by Sky Television no doubt we will exceed this amount many times over in our transfer dealings and Ricky will fade away as a nonentity in our history.

I am not quite sure of either the Naismith deal, or that of Tim Klose, to be able to know whether we have already done so.

[quote user="daly"]I think he took the penalties at his previous club and had a 100% record [/quote]Indeed he did.  The one thing that he had - even if he was weak in other areas - was a good technique. The penalty incident was utterly ridiculous.

RVW? Don''t blame the player......blame the person/persons who were responsible for bringing him to our club.....

We need new strikers.

If RVW is to become available would anybody want him for a cut-price £500, 000?

Any takers? LDC?

Nah! Surely not.

The only plus point in this would be that he has unfinished business at Carrow Road. The problem being that he couldn''t actually finish.

I don''t hold any ill will towards RvW and wish him all the best.
He was less effective than Dean Coney but I don''t think Pele would have got many under Hughton''s negative, boring system. RvW was not all he was cracked up to be but his record before us was outstanding. If anything, we ruined him.
The most galling thing for me is Hughton pulled the same trick at Brighton and whilst we got RvW and 2 goals, they got Jurgen Locadia with 9 goals and 6 assists in 15 games.

Yes Mello!

Like with Holt and Hoolahan. Don''t praise the players. Praise the person/persons responsible for bringing them to the club.

Oh...

Oh.....Yup, give credit where it''s due.....Were the same person/persons also responsible for bringing in Holty & Wes, also responsible for bringing in RVW?.....Or were they different person/persons?.....

I can''t believe there are still any apologists for Rip van Wolfswinkel. He was/is a truly below average footballer.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I think they found him on Trollopes iPad. I''ll just check with Tilly.....[/quote]Only one was signed pre McNally.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]I think they found him on Trollopes iPad. I''ll just check with Tilly.....[/quote]Only one was signed pre McNally.[/quote]No make that two.

he hasnt appeared for us in 4 years - i cant believe this is still going on.

A transfer didnt work out for a player that was tracked by big clubs and its clear now, purely with hindsight, why no one took the plunge. It happens at every club every season and it wont be the last here either.

All this because he was the one time club record transfer in? Its a Frozen moment if ever there was, - time to Let it

Indeed ZLF - its a tough one to decide between who was a worse/ more costly buy, Naismith or RvW.

[quote user="Woodman"]Indeed ZLF - its a tough one to decide between who was a worse/ more costly buy, Naismith or RvW.[/quote]
What on earth happened to Naismith. He was electric on his debut vs Liverpool and then useless ever since. Both equally large wastes of money in my book.

Yes you have something there Tilly. I never thought about it before but with hindsight Bowkett & Etty would have been the golden ticket 🙃