Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

New formation next season?

Since the majority of our number 10s will most likely be leaving this summer, I was wondering what the alternatives could be if we didn''t replace them.

What do people think about the possibility of playing 4-3-3, essentially the same way as Man City set up?.

We could have Tettey or Godfrey as the holding midfielder alongside two of MacLean, Trybull, Vrancic or Leitner (if he stays) who can dictate play. We can then (hopefully) ping the ball forwards quickly to Murphy and Hernandez on the wings, with a shiny new striker up top.

I think we have the personnel suited to this system - with ball playing midfielders and quick wingers... Do people think this could work for us or would the front men be too isolated?

you need pace upfront and move the ball very quickly

i was watching Liverpool the other day and they do not really have a CF striker they have 3 front players that all move around and pop up everywhere lovely to watch

they are very direct as well when the midfield get the ball a striker or front 3 is always running behind

i would love to see it but would take a big shift in tactics from Farke

If we get Leitner in permanently then I think we will see a return to the 4-1-4-1 that Farke liked earlier in the season, with him and Vrancic in the middle, Hernandez and Murphy providing width and Trybull mopping up.

Think Farke''s preference is 3 at the back with wing backs. We saw it at the start of the season until it all went tits up, and then we reverted to it once Jamal Lewis returned from injury. Think injury issues for Timm was the next reason it got pulled (could be wrong), along with Tettey and Trybull both going down with injuries. 
My instinct is that we will start the season 3 at the back, with Tettey and Trybull protecting.
                    Goalkeeper
Pinto Zimmermann Hanley Klose Lewis
                 Tettey       Trybull
Josh         Number 10 (Leitner?)     Onel
      Someone better than bloody Oliviera

I should add, I suspect that won''t be the only formation we use, but I do think it will be our default formation for most (70+%) of games.

I suspect it will be as any other season.One goalkeeper and ten outfield players - the latter positions being determined by a combination of where the ball is and where other players are.Watch the game and you will see it as such. You can verify it by watching the highlights if not and see where the players are - at NO time will you see the players adhering to some ''table football'' fixed positions.

I couldn''t care less what formation they play or choose to name it but the ball has to get forward much more quickly, particularly at home.

essential that there is better movement from the front players whichever approach we take, esp getting beyond the striker.

3421 with pacy wingbacks would be my preference