Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Squad for Next Season & What We Need ??

Gk - Remi - Paul Jones

RB - Pinto

LB - Lewis - Husband

CB - Zimmermann - Ragett - Hanley

Midfield - Tettey - Trybull - Vrancic - Murphy -  Hernandez - Jarvis - Stiepermann - McClean - Cantwell - Godfrey - Thompson

Strikers - Sbeny

--------------------------------------------

Returning to Sender

Reed - Gunn

Might leave

Klose - Leitner - Maddison - McGovern - Naismith - Martin - Franke - Wildschut - Oliviera - Watkins

So we need another right back, another left back, 2 strikers and another centre back if Klose goes and another winger ??

Have I missed anyone and what do others think about what positions we need to fill for next season ??

Leistner coming in at centre back ? We still seem to have a lot of midfielders, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cantwell go out on loan again.

Jones will be out of contract and gone.So, goalkeeping wise, its Remi Matthews, McGovern and, for now, the ''new, number three in the ranks who I guess is Aston Oxborough. Can''t see anyone coming in for McGovern so he''ll warm the bench for another season.

I see Mitchell Dijks still doesn’t appear to be settled. Might be willing to lower his demands maybe? Would anyone else like to see that one? Could see him fitting into a back three if I’m honest. I’d take him

You may have overlooked we already have two left backsI am not so sure we are looking at exact places, as where would you play a returning Godfrey. Was Reed better in the middle or RB ?Much will be about who leaves. Who may be seen to be able to step up from the U23''s.One thing is certain, we will need to avoid signing to many ''furriners'' so as to not fall foul of any restrictions in that respect.I would also suggest that players have already bee lined up so any certain outward moves will be done fairly quickly so as to allow players to come in.

I take the point about some players being able to do more than one job, but I think there will be two exact places being considered, at opposite ends of the pitch.One is goalkeeper, unless Matthews can make the grade as starter for the season (I have no idea). The other gap is for a striker whose all-round game (unlike anyone we have at the moment) is good enough to make Farke''s preferred system work.

it all depends on the leavers to be honest.

But looking at the squad now and a preference for a 3421 formation I would say

1. One striker with pace, 2 if Nelson moves on. Not sue of his valuation but Mo Eisa seems to fit a lot of our needs as a young options.

2. 1 - maybe 2 wingbacks; Pinto and Lewis do a good job, husband may yet come good. That may be reed, but a signing there is needed.

3. If we stick with Nelson / Srbeny then a third pacy to get beyond the striker is essential - we look best balanced when both Onel and Josh are on the pitch, cover needed for when they are injured or outr of form; none of the options seem adept or even prepared to get beyond the striker.

4. Not needed if the good news on tettey comes through; but if he doesnt sign I think we still need a priority signing of dedicated defensive central midfielder. Thompson injury concerns and uncertainty on whether Godfrey can step up as we all want means we need another. Trybull is not that man and is significantly better when with a dedicated holding midfielder.

5. I think Matthews is the GK solution - although I have been keen on jordan archer for a while.

Keeper-presumably Gunn goes (hope not) Matthews seems a good option but we’ll need a back up.

Wide attacking players-back up / competition for Hernandez and Murphy. These race horse types always pull hammys at the wrong time guaranteed.

Right back-assuming we don’t keep Reed (hopefully we keep him)

Left back-back up to Lewis -I’m not convinced by Husband or Steiperman in this position although Steiperman is not a disaster in the role.

Striker- someone with frightening pace. A Grabban type but with a better attitude or we promote one of our own.

Hopefully we can sign Leitner and keep Tetty

At times this season we have dropped points due to lack of squad depth and need to overcome this deficiency if we are to challenge for promotion.

Out Naismith, Martin, Gunn, Maddison, Husband, Watkins, Wildshut

"Out Naismith, Martin, Gunn, Maddison, Husband, Watkins, Wildschut"

I assume that''s a wish list of ''outs'' (bar Maddison). You can add McGovern and Jarvis to that list, but its unlikely many clubs will pay money for Naismith, Martin, Jarvis and McGovern who will all be going into their last year of a lucrative contract.

To answer the OP''s question; I think we need a goalkeeper, right back, centre back, central midfielder and a striker. If Gunn, Reed and Maddison stay (unlikely), we only need a striker and a centre back.

I think Pinto will go this summer, so will be 2 right backs needed.

However, Southampton''s win, coupled with the run ins for a few teams means they have a chance of staying up, which makes a deal for Reed much more likely.

Id be shocked if pinto goes. Hes just had a kid and seems settled here. We need him still as well, especially if we lose reed and keep the 5 at the back system in use some games.

Main spots for me to solve are striker and goalkeeper presuming angus and nelson leave.

Id also like to see us go more direct with murphy and hernandez behind a pacy but technical main striker like liverpool do.

This would mean at least 1 sitting mid and 2 supporting mids but no real "number 10"

Before we even think players the head coach situation needs addressing

I suspect if we have another season of sideways and backward passing the Carra will get very frustrated

This will only happen if a stinking rich Chinese owner takes over and overhauls the club

[quote user="The Shining"]This will only happen if a stinking rich Chinese owner takes over and overhauls the club[/quote]I had a meal at a stinking rich Chinese restaurant at the weekend and while the fare was the same as our local takeaway, us punters had to pay a lot more for it.Stinking rich Chinese owners out - keep True Brits in......[:D]

My Biggest concern will be the "Home Grown" rules for next year

Just to recap they are:

At present, Section 5 of the EFL’s Rules and Regulations (“EFL Rules and Regulations”) requires each EFL club to nominate 6 home grown players on their team sheet for each league match (which includes Play-Off matches) (Rule 33.7).

Following the EFL’s recent announcement, EFL clubs have agreed to increase that number to 7 for the 2018-19 season.

A “Home Grown Player” is defined in the (Rule 33.8) as a player who:

irrespective of their nationality or age, has been registered with either:

their current club (who is a member of the EFL); and/or

a club and/or any other football club affiliated with the Football Association (“FA“) or Football Association of Wales (for example, EPL or non-league clubs)

for a period, continuous or non-continuous, of three seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which they turn 21).

In addition to the increase in home grown players that will be required on EFL’s clubs team sheets, a new definition will be introduced to the EFL Rules and Regulations, that of the “club-developed” player. Each EFL club will need to include one “club-developed” player in their match day squad, who will be defined as a player who has been registered with their current team for at least 12 months prior to the end of their U19 season. Should a club fail to name such a player, they will only be able to name 6 substitutes rather than the normal allocation of 7.

With this in mind, we''re either going to have to pack out the squad with the Youth team or get some more Home Grown players in.

Let''s not discount the obvious and potential talent we have got that aren''t home grown, but with 8 players needing to be on the team sheet it''ll be interesting to see who breaks through or is signed.

@Andy G

I think the returning players from loans should help with that- Matthews and Godfrey both count as home grown.

Lots is going to hinge on the situation with our current loanees- if Reed and Leitner come in permanently then we''ve got a few less holes to fill.

If they don''t then suddenly right back is a big need as is someone to fill the potential Maddison based hole in midfield.