Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Anyone else stopped buying programmes?

I don''t buy them anymore, and that is from someone who (many years ago) used to religiously collect them, and left them in an ex''s loft, but that is another story)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43955431

Funny thing, for the first time in years I decided to buy a program this week only to find they had sold out about 20 minutes kick off. Someone must be buying them! :-)

Used to love the fanzines and bought one every game for quite a time until they sort of faded away.

Anyone else buy a magazine called When Saturday Comes? It''s a monthly mag and is pretty much like an up-market fanzine. Very little about the top teams and loads about local clubs and behind the scenes stories. Well worth a read if you like that sort of thing.

I stopped buying home ones I think after our first season back in the prem so something like 05/06. I then continued to buy away ones until about two seasons ago but have now stopped all together. I did however for the first time in that many years buy a home one on Saturday just to see all the bits about Wes.

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]I don''t buy them anymore, and that is from someone who (many years ago) used to religiously collect them, and left them in an ex''s loft, but that is another story)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43955431[/quote]

I''ve still got loads of programmes from the past, but have stopped buyimg them when I go to a match now. The modern ones are too thick, too much guff and pointless endless pictures in them and are too expensive. If they simply stopped trying to make it some glossy magazine and returned to a simpler style with less pictures in and more basic information, it would make them more of a souvenir worth hanging on to and it would help sales imo.   I can still look at an old programme and get a sense of the occasion - the more recent ones I have held on to have very little appeal.  A simple case of less is more.

I think I''m different from most of you, it''s part of my pre-match routine buy a programme every game, then take them home after the match where they are stored for a week then put in the recycle bin.

Not bought one in years. To be honest the content of them just isn''t interesting enough to justify the extra spend.

Only buy/keep programmes from momentous occasions. Think the only ones I have are from Bayern at home, from when I was a mascot away at Birmingham (signed by all the ''96 squad), from the playoff semi vs scum, playoff final, think there''s also one knocking around with a short piece on my Dad in it from when he was doing some scouting for us way back when.
Aside from that I just don''t see the value to them so have never bothered with them.

quote "Hairy Canary"]Funny thing, for the first time in years I decided to buy a program this week only to find they had sold out about 20 minutes kick off. Someone must be buying them! :-)

Used to love the fanzines and bought one every game for quite a time until they sort of faded away.

Anyone else buy a magazine called When Saturday Comes? It''s a monthly mag and is pretty much like an up-market fanzine. Very little about the top teams and loads about local clubs and behind the scenes stories. Well worth a read if you like that sort of thing.[/quote

Ah yes, I had forgotten about WSC, Hairy. It was always a decent read, as you say, because I do enjoy the ''real'' football stories (I am currently reading a book about a Bromley supporter, who moved back to England, and resurrected his supporting of them, all over the Country, and this is no mean feat, as he lives in Leeds). I will seek WSC out again, cheers.

I have hundreds, some really old if anyone wants them? Moving house, so want to get rid.

I always buy a programme, for me it''s a souvenir/memory of the game even if it doesn''t always get read - been to many many hundreds of games and there''s only a couple I''ve been to that I didn''t get one (one was a Luton evening game from the early 80s if anyone has it?!).

I''d not realised it was a league requirement to have, but for me would be a shame if they stopped - perhaps they could do a programme that covered a couple of games at a time.

I used to quite enjoy the fanzines sold around Carra during match days, like ''Liverpool are on the Telly again'' and ''Ferry across the Wensum'' which were quite humorous, sarcastic and ''informative''......

I''ve never really been a football program lover. I do receive a ''complimentary program'' as I enter the ground which is part of my season ticket ''package'' although tend to give it away to some ''program deficient'' City fan in the pub after......It is though quite frustrating and annoying to see quite a large amount of those ''gratis'' programs left & discarded amongst the rubbish & beverage cups under the seats after the game, especially at £3.50 a pop, which must cost the club some Wonga, though some folk probably think it''s a burden to carry home or around - and after a quick flick through their program aren''t really interested in retaining it......otherwise it just becomes ''loft insulation''......

I would rather the club lowered the price of my season ticket and also gave me the option of purchasing a program or a hot beverage and biscuits (that''s if after the lounge locust swarm of ''oink oink'' biscuit bandits, actually leave any crumbs or morsels)....

My padded pew, is there to stay......although, I do think I could survive 130+ minutes sitting on raw plastic.....

[quote user="lake district canary"]too thick, too much guff....[/quote]Self praise is no recommendation. [;)] [:D]

😂

I too thought LDC was describing himself when taking about modern programmes.

Yet another thing to add to his list of whinging moans.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]And for the record, the NCFC programme is a well put together MODERN publication. [/quote]

It may well be modern, it may even be well put together, but it is obviously not what everybody wants from a programme.....and it is not sensible if as reported - "sales falling and readership numbers dropping".   Oh and just because it is "modern", doesn''t make it better, any more than anything older is any better - it is simply a case of market forces and if market forces and the internet are offering alternatives, then that is what has to be addressed. Simplify it, which will reduce costs in the process, sell at a lower price - and sell more of them. How many people would buy a smplified programme at a reduced cost of say £2? I know I would.

So to simplify, you want a programme that’s perfect for you at a reduced cost.

And I assume you are aware that the sellers will have to be paid - so you either pay them less or make far less of a margin. Makes no business sense whatsoever.

Another drawback is you can''t fold a programme and they are simply too thick to fit into a pocket.  So you are left with either leaving it behind as many people who get complimentary ones do, or having to carry it.   I would revamp the programme, make it slimmer, less pictures, less waffle, charge £2 and get more people to buy it outright rather than offer complimentary ones as some get each week.  As for business sense, I don''t see why the club shouldn''t make a loss on selling programmes - they probably are already in terms of what they sell, relying on advertising to make money.   A cheaper, finely tailored and focussed programme would probably appeal to more people and boost sales.

Last prog City v Preston May 2004 promotion special. Only one bought that season for posterity. Modern progs repeat same info each home game not interesting enough. Used to put vouchers for cup final but this City could have done this to ensure real fans for Play Offs.

I stopped buying programmes years ago, probably around the early 2000''s. Just too many adverts, interviews that seemed manufactured/doctored and a lot of repetitive guff. One of the best fanzines imo was Y''Army, cracking read that was.

A matchday ritual I''ve had ever since my early days going to Carrow Road!

I''ve always bought programmes and will continue to do so as long as I go I reckon!

The home programme is a great read, packed with everything you want to know about our great club!

[quote user="pete"]Last prog City v Preston May 2004 promotion special. Only one bought that season for posterity. Modern progs repeat same info each home game not interesting enough. Used to put vouchers for cup final but this City could have done this to ensure real fans for Play Offs.[/quote]

pete, you''re writing a post on a messageboard, not a telegram. Stop. You can actually write whole sentences on here if you want to. Stop.

Agree with reducing the size of the programme less pages and a size that can actually fit in a standard jacket pocket,not West Ham or Chelsea size from the 70s although these were very good

I stopped about 5 years ago trouble was I had accumulated about 20 years worth and storage was a problem. The last one I got was the playoff final. My treasures are our European run

[quote user="Spillay"]I stopped buying programmes years ago, probably around the early 2000''s. Just too many adverts, interviews that seemed manufactured/doctored and a lot of repetitive guff. One of the best fanzines imo was Y''Army, cracking read that was.[/quote]

Exactly this ^^^

I''ve not even looked at one for a good 15 years so have no idea if they''ve improved but they used to be a waste of money if you''d read the local press. With the internet-based content and team updates etc available via social media platforms I''m surprised clubs haven''t pushed for the lifting of this requirement sooner in the current climate - I can''t imagine they generate a profit for many clubs nowadays.

The project that saw different artists take on the covers this season was pretty cool... but still didn''t entice me to buy one. Annoys me that it''s too bulky to put it in a pocket, so you''ve got to carry it about too.

The other issue of course is that as it is produced by the club it will always be constrained it what it can say. You''re unlikely to get much insight from a player interviewed for the matchday programme as they have to stay ''on brand.''