Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Hughton

Credit to Delia too, she gets a lot of stick, but lets be honest, Lambert, Hughton and Neil were all good managers and have since gone on to proven so. I believe Farke is another great appointment. Of course the credit isn''t all Delias, McNally and Webber too of course, however I think she deserves some for sure.

I still maintain his football was the most boring soul destroying football I have ever seen so was glad he was sacked but maybe he had no choice with the squad we had.. who knows where we would b now if we had kept him.

Having said that we lost to non league Luton so deserved to be sacked for that alone

Chose to play one up front. ...which is fair enough....but then proceeded to spend £14m on 2 strikers in RVW and Hooper who could neither play as a lone striker or with each other.

....and then having realised this snatched at Elmander as a cheap and nasty afterthought

Hughton''s biggest problem was that the style of football he wanted to play, didn''t fit with the players he signed. Which really is quite bizarre, unless he didn''t sign them?

@clint

Exactly.

He clearly wanted to be solid at the back, soak up pressure and hit on the counter. He got the first bit right for a while but signing two forwards with no real pace or hold up ability and a slow, one footed winger didn''t really help us to counter attack.

[quote user="king canary"]@clint

Exactly.

He clearly wanted to be solid at the back, soak up pressure and hit on the counter. He got the first bit right for a while but signing two forwards with no real pace or hold up ability and a slow, one footed winger didn''t really help us to counter attack.[/quote]I''m pleased for Hughton and Brighton - he has proved himself capable

everywhere he has been, including us in his first season. He has had the

luxury of building a team from the championship with Brighton,

something he didn''t have with us, needing to change the club to what he

wanted in the pressure cooker of the PL.  Had he managed to keep us up

that second season, even if it had been marginally, things would have

been very different. Despte everything, we were maybe only two goals from staying up that should have come in key matches where we were on top and had chances to score from players other than Hooper and RVW.  The penalty incident for one and the away match at West Ham where a sitter was missed by a midfielder.The injury to Elliot Bennett in that second season was a key factor too. If Snodgrass had had a bit more competition for his place, or at least someone for an option, it would have changed the dynamic of the season.  Eliott Bennett started that season looking fit and very mobile and Snodgrass, who regardless what people thought of him, wasn''t always at his best so the team lacked alternatives. Also, lack of accurate or well timed crosses from Redmond/Snodgrass finished off any chance of Hooper or RVW to make a big impact.  The expression "feed the wolf and he will score" kind of was a bit ridiculous when he was just starved of food.

LDC bingo:-

Snodgrass’ fault - TICK

RvW was treated poorly - TICK

Hughton would have kept us up (although this is an if and a but anyway) - TICK

Hughton would have made us better in his third season (Lakey now able to predict the future) - TICK

HOUSSSSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

At the end of the day, Hughton deployed ambition free, turgid football and was fearful of every team, making our players almost scared to attack. He deployed an ineffective striker (RvW) who was not suited to the league, in a system that didn’t suit him. The only saving grace being our player of the season, bailing us out with some vital goals.

I’m pleased that Chris Hughton is doing well at Brighton, but this just change his time at NCFC and he was rightly sacked as Norwich City manager.

I liked the Hoots ... a lot.

However, I didn''t have to sit through the awful displays mentioned above on a fortnightly basis, so my view is likely distorted.

Imo, the biggest single factor in his downfall was the failure of RVW to be the slightest bit effective as a Premier league goalscorer. Hooper also, but to a lesser extent.

Whether this led to his ultra-defensive approach is a matter for dispute. That he was let down by his strike force is not.

I suppose it is a chicken and egg situation.

There is no doubting though that CH was and is a top class manager and coach. His series of videos on football coaching are exceptional and well-regarded within the game, as is the man himself.

Carrow Road will likely be seen as the nadir of his managerial career, and by the man himself most of all. He seemed to suffer from a severe bout of tactical constipation towards the ending of his City spell.

The timing of his sacking remains, in my mind, the most bizarre event in the history of NCFC. Suicidal to the extreme and we therefore became an instant laughing stock.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"].....where has Lambert gone on to prove that he''s a good manager??

Villa x

Blackburn x

Wolves x

Stoke x[/quote]

Spot on

Villa rebuilt after him to play offs

Blackburn rebuilt after him to promotion

Wolves rebuilt after him to Championship champions

Stoke no win in 12 repeat of Villa, Blackburn, Wolves

He was just the right person at the right time here and in fairness was amazing as Norwich manager but certainly did not go on to prove himself.

Like his whole tenure here, it was about having everyone performing out of their skins, including Lambert himself. Without culverhouse, it certainly hasn''t worked out well for him elsewhere

i think that if they know your tactics they should mostly be your signings Hughton like Brighton and Lambert did with us and also Burnley have

you go up with your team it is easier to stay up

it is such a tight league to try and mould a team when you are in the PL must be so much harder

Hughton was good in his first season but then he just lost it any it all went wrong

He left Villa in the premiership they got relegated after he left, they now have tons of cash he did not have.

Blackburn, saved them from relegation and then left as the owners are basket cases. Rebuilding from a lower league relegated after he left.

Wolves - protracted ownership change no money never had a hope.

Stoke - inherited a crap team in relegation, still not out of it yet

Everybody elses fault at 5 different clubs?....ourselves, villa,blackburn , wolves and Stoke?

I''d perhaps be looking at the common denominator?

And also, for all those other clubs , when they did pull them selves around or got a bit of funding, they didn''t want him on charge.

Doubt he''ll ever have it as good on his managerial career as when he was here. Could have built something, but bottled the job and has been seeking some thing better ever since which he won''t find

So if he’s had a tough set of missions to deal with, that’s not exactly nothing to do with him is it.

He’s walked into each one of those situations which were even know to the public ... presumably preferring to see the unlikely glory in succeeding against the odds (or to see the dollars than the strings attached to them.... depending on how charitable we’re going to be).

That kind of calls into question either his judgement or motivation.

Back on topic.Of course he does have the advantage of having been able to build his Brighton squad while in the Championship, but I remember Hughton''s first season with us being similar to this one. Let''s see how he does next year.

He''s done well for Brighton but only because he learned from the mistakes he made at Norwich. He was dreadful for Norwich - the most appalling brand of football we have ever played, even in his first season where we stayed up only because of a very fortunate unbeaten run before Christmas which included games where the opposition missed absolute sitters.

Anyone who thinks that Hughton was the right appointment at Carrow Road or shouldn''t have been fired was either not following the club back then or have extremely foggy memories.

He inherited a vibrant, dynamic and free scoring side and utterly drained it of confidence, zest and sparkle.

Hiring Hughton was the greatest missed opportunity in our recent history. I thought it then and I think it now.

sgncfc, I’d say the worst brand of football we played was under Gunny.

I remember thinking it was a sensible appointment at the time Cantiaci. Who did you want instead?

I thought he was a good appointment at the time too, turns out I was wrong.

What he has done outside of Norwich doesn''t matter to me that much. He played awful, soul destroying football despite having significant money to spend.

The fact that there is some strange effort amongst some to play up Hughton while playing down Lambert is an utter mystery to me.

It seems he made his mistakes with us and learnt from it. I''m very glad hes doing well, but he was the wrong fit for us.

I''ll never get the "turgid boring football" thing. I went to around six or seven games that second season and every single one was a hard fought competitive match, certainly not boring and certainly not the worst fotball I have seen. Those matches I didn''t go to I think I saw every minute of that season on line and quite a few of those matches were the same.  There were a few non shows, but it was not blanket boring football.  I just think people expected too much after Lambert. With the team Lambert left us, we were relegation waiting to happen in the first Hughton season and the second season was a minefield of pressure with 12 clubs at risk of relegation - and many people seemed to ignore the effect that had on the football, not just on us, but many of the teams in the lower half that season.

Had we not sacked Hughton near the end of the 2013/14, I think the end result would have been the same - We''d of still got relegated!

Decent manager when you look at his record, fair play for keeping Brighton up, but it wasn''t working at Norwich and sacking him was the right decision!

Re: Hughton nearly everyone backed his appointment, he was one of the best options at the time and to suggest otherwise is revisionism.

Re:Lambert, he was great for us but his cv is decidedly iffy since - custumstances may have helped/hindered him but he went into each appointment with his eyes fully open and hasn''t exactly succeeded in any of them.