Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

How bad was it?

For those who went, or watched it, I''ve literally just seen the score!

Player ratings?

[quote user="hogesar"]For those who went, or watched it, I''ve literally just seen the score!

Player ratings?[/quote]
Watch the goals and you''ll see the story.
Zimmermann at fault for #2 and #4.

Highlights here: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/championship/11361567/sheffield-wednesday-5-1-norwich-city

I don''t like putting figures to these things:

Gunn made some stunning saves late on, but seemingly not interested in playing out from the back today. Not sure why he collided with Zimbo for their 3rd - but otherwise had little to do but pick the ball out of the net five times.

Pinto was good going forward, but no-one covered for him so left acres for them to have a get out ball. I wouldn''t blame Pinto, as he was one of our more positive players, but if he is the full back harshly he was out of position 50% of his time on the pitch.

Lewis also was good going forward, but with Murphy as his get-out he was often wasting his talent. This and a long season meant his brain seemed to be frazzled and he made wrong decisions in defence which cost us at least two goals.

Klose was pretty good all round geeing players up after disasters, you just wished he could ensure they did the right thing before them by taking the initiative in defence - its almost like he doesn''t make headers and tackles because he wants them around him to learn how to do it themselves. Going forward though he was our most direct player, his goal was really well taken, so much so he could be our new striker.

It wasn''t Zimbo''s day today. From above Klose left Zimbo to do the job on Nuhiu, but he just wasn''t up to the mark. This might have been the day for Raggett in hindsight, who I think would have relished taking on Nuhiu in an old fashioned League 2 style dust up. Not to say Zimbo was not up to a fight, just that he had no nous - naïve.

Reed had a mixed game after his switch to midfield. Good at times, but the lack of a clinical pass meant he was just moving the ball on to someone else. Then went missing when Wednesday attacked. I can''t remember him making a tackle in our half.

Leitner has not yet got to grips with the championship. Some good moments but too many sloppy passes. There is a good player there, but maybe not in England.

Hernandez has plenty of pace at times, but like others lacks a clinical decision making process, the pull back behind three unmarked attackers in their box (yes three attackers wearing Norwich shirts in the opposition box) towards the end summed up where his head is currently at. There seemed utter confusion with him and Pinto attacking at times. I would have preferred to see him switching with Murphy and seeing the back of Murphy.

Murphy had a shocker. Only seemed interested if the ball arrived at his feet so that he could get a shot or cross off easily. If he was faced with anything more challenging he was like a rabbit in the headlights - his brain froze. As said above, at times absolutely no movement so effectively stopped Lewis from expressing himself. A luxury we cannot afford.

Oliveira''s performance today was a joke. As I''ve said on another thread, like Dracula with crosses - he disappeared. No movement whatsoever, but still demanded the ball in impossible situations. Sorry but he has to go. Srbeny seemed more than competent when he came on and the ball started to stick more.

Maddison and Raggett of course had no time to do anything to really comment on.

My man of the match was Trybull. Really good throughout, even having to do dirty stuff faced with Nuhiu that should have been the call for others to mix it. But they didn''t. He must have had close to 100% pass completion, and there was a lot of passes as everything flowed through him. On another day others would have made the right runs and movement to make some of them count. A playmaker who should be the obvious choice to sit alongside Tettey / Godfrey next season.

Farke earned a big fat zero today and I''m not generally a hater. Did nothing at all. Should have matched Raggett to Nuhiu based on pre-match assessments. Should have withdrawn Murphy and Oliveira before half-time. Did nothing to change the game - he must develop a plan B and C for next season.

The score does not reflect the true nature of the game.Zimmerman has the enthusiasm but is looking out of his depth at times. Oliveoil seems to to know what he is supposed to be doing. Some of the misses from players were not so much comical as criminal.However the scoreline was not Fulham 2005, there was total commitment, however one of the failings is the tactic of having three players ''hacking'' at the opponent who has the ball so as to win it back. It works well, however when it doesn''t it leaves us exposed with opponents unmarked.Today the players gave it there all, and we looked far more like an attacking side - the main fault is it all too often resembled a park game where this was the first time these players had played as a team .... which saw the ball hit into the box when there was no one there, all too casual back passes to Gunn and still an inability to make use of corners.And the ref needs to be able to pace out ten yards correctly as some were far too long or far too short... quite easy to spot as the ''stripes'' on the pitch were exactly six yards.

I was there. It had all the makings of a pre sesason friendly. No urgency or tempo in our game - but we’ve been saying that all the season. The fight behind me after a flare was let off was the highlight of the day.

My nephews first away day asked me if we could leave after 30 mins 🙁 to which i told him to stick to the end.

Hard to be too critical since we literally had nothing to play for but pride and minds were clearly elsewhere (i hope they were anyway given that show).

Gunn - 7 conceded 5 but wasnt really much he could have done. Pulled off a couple of terrific stops. Hope we can get him back for a season

Reed - 5 fairly unremarkable, played 2 positions and was out fought/ran/muscled in both of them

Zimmermann - 3 painfully at fault for goals 2 and 4 and his worst game for us. Will give the lad a break today tho, one of the few success stories this season.

Klose - 5 no obvious faults but looked nervous and shaky throughout. Would have been a 4 but took the goal well

Lewis - 6 solid and had the beating of the wednesday right side. He needs to believe in himself more. When the game was over as a contest, he decided to take his man on and was a big threat for the last 20 mins.

Pinto - 5 pretty unremarkable, but not noticably bad. Had a few decent forays but very poor final product

Trybull - 6 a tough job today alone in front of the shaky back line, needs Tettey or at least Vrancic in there with him or perhaps Godfrey next season.

Hernandez - 4 i know people will say im being harsh but i really dont rate him at all. Yes he can run and dribble but to me his technique is abysmal. Not one of his passes or crosses went where it should have. We might as well have kept yanic.

Leitner - 5 fairly wasteful and bereft of ideas to break down the stubborn wednesday back line. There looks like there could be a hell of a player in there but he needs time and a more cohesive unit to work with

Murphy - 5 decent assist (think it was him) but again some of his decision making was panicky. He looked gutted at the end and i honestly think he cares and will get better. Give him a bit more patience and more protection from the fans by way of a rotation option and he will be a dangerous and popular player for us. At the moment, he is lacking any confidence.

Oliveira - 4 a bit of running but extremely wasteful and some woeful decision making. I hope we have seen the back of him and his moody ways. Sheff weds showed the types of striker we need with the lad that bullied us and forestieri who unsettled the gap between the back line and midfield.

Raggett and maddison werent on long enough to justify a rating. Gutted for Maddison though. I hope he recovers well and that perhaps it means his big move waits a few months. Hes the one that can make a difference for us next season.

All in all, im looking forward to a break from club football this summer, our first real damp squib of a season for 10 years so i wont be too upset. We have some big players to come back in matthews, thompson, godfrey and morris and i hope they are given plenty of chances to build something here. Notable that tettey, vrancic and hanley were missing today, perhaps we would have been more solid with them.

Zimmerman is proving to be a real liability in a back 4. He can’t deal with crosses. It’s strange because as one of 3 CBs in s bsck 6 he looks very decent.