Sign in to follow this  
Wishbone

Mixed messages

I remember that Farke was talking up the state of the squad in the pre match build up to yesterday’s game. In his opinion, we’re not far off. He stated we needed a finisher upfront, but feels we are pretty much there centrally in midfield and defence. Fast forward to his post match analysis and there was the excuse of injuries (Hanley, Vrancic, Tettey, Maddison during the game). I find it worrying that he feels our squad is in a good shape.

When you look at the bench - we had Watkins (hasn’t played at all recently), Raggett (one appearance at the end of the Bristol city away game?), Stiepermann (hasn’t played since Brentford at home during the Christmas period) as well as two players that have played a fair bit (Srebeny, Pinto). I look at this squad and see around a team of players that have played well in patches this season. The rest of the squad looks bereft of confidence / form and question marks are next to players who will be leaving permanently or going back to their loan clubs. I get the impression that Farke wants to have a settled squad but reality is we will see more upheaval over the summer. We don’t look like a club that has moved on from the fallout after relegation.

Webber was tasked with three things in the summer

1) Slash the wage bill

2) Bring in a significant transfer profit

3) Overhaul the squad

Those three things are ridiculously difficult to do at the same time.

The reality is if we''re serious about promotion we''d probably need to spend far more money than we have. However if we''re happy to continue in midtable then we don''t need an overhaul.