Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Relegation from the Prem

I found this article struck a few chords with me.

http://www.football365.com/news/stop-fretting-about-relegation-instead-embrace-it

It would be relevant to get the views of fans from those 7th to 17th positioned teams also, I feel

Relegation certainly isn''t the end of the world. I''d honestly welcome relegation to League One over Ipswich style stagnation. At least it keeps things interesting.

As with all of footballs ills it all comes back to money.

This is taken from a My Football Writer article by Steve Cook but sums it up perfectly for me...

''The land of milk and honey is actually a land of angst and money. The top flight is, for all bar a privileged few, a continual grind to gather enough points to earn the right to do it all over again.''

For most clubs the financial importance of retaining a Premier League place trumps everything else in football. The other competitions are an afterthought and have lost their significance. The development of homegrown youth and managers is stunted due to the immediate and extreme pressure for results. Even if a club of our ilk has a great season and qualifies for the Europa League it''s immediately disregarded as an unwanted distraction from the importance of Premier League survival.

I understand the short-termism from owners and directors due to the financial implications of relegation but football is no better for it.

The Championship may not offer the same standard of football but as a competition it''s far more open and enjoyable than the Premier League.

@Stone

This is why I kind of welcome the idea of a European Super League- it might actually convince the smaller clubs to create something more egalitarian out of the ashes. Wage caps, squad size restrictions, limits on transfer fees and an end to the loan system would be a great start.

Right now there is really only 5 teams who can harbor any actual hope of winning the Premier League. That leaves 87 other clubs fighting for scraps.

[quote user="king canary"]@Stone

This is why I kind of welcome the idea of a European Super League- it might actually convince the smaller clubs to create something more egalitarian out of the ashes. Wage caps, squad size restrictions, limits on transfer fees and an end to the loan system would be a great start.

Right now there is really only 5 teams who can harbor any actual hope of winning the Premier League. That leaves 87 other clubs fighting for scraps.[/quote]

I agree with almost everything you say except there aren''t even 5 teams who could realistically win the Prem as it stands. I can''t see anyone beyond the two Manchester clubs bearing in mind that they will just go and spend another £300m + this summer.