Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

The stupidity of playing Maddison

Sounds like being wise after the event but what was the point of playing him? The opposition have been kicking lumps out of him all season and it was a hell of a risk in a meaningless game. Now we have no £25m and no Maddison. An amazing lack of judgement by all concerned.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It’s looks stupid now but had he not got injured no one would have mentioned it. The larger concern is what is at stake for the club hanging on the shoulders of selling one player

I posted a thread "Last Game". I should have put some money on him picking up a serious injury.

The same thing happened to Bellamy and Eadie at their most saleable.

Trouble is Farke always wants to play his strongest team which you have to respect him for. Finishing above Ipswich is pointless, we have already proved we are better-perhaps we shouldn''t have banged on about that, we finished a week earlier in my book.

Why wouldn''t you always play your strongest team? The only reason would be to rotate players like Maddison or Tettey or anyone carrying a slight injury, when we had three games in a week. As has been said, hindsight is a wonderful thing...

I guess as his last game, the lad would have wanted to play so hard not to give him his wish..... BUT the fact we have owners that are relying on one player to be sold.... laughable really. ..

20/20 hindsight really.

At what point to you stop risking him? When we were out of the top 6 hunt? With 5 games left?

Got to agree that if the club knew that the sale of Madders would be the only solution to next seasons financial problems then perhaps not playing him would have been a better option. But what a terrible state of affairs when 2 years ago we were a Premiership side NOW having to rely on the sale of one player to tide us over for next season

What about the other players that may leave, should they have been left out too ? Perhaps we should have followed Crewe’s example and played the academy team, I’m should everyone would have been happy with that...

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]What about the other players that may leave, should they have been left out too ? Perhaps we should have followed Crewe’s example and played the academy team, I’m should everyone would have been happy with that...[/quote]

Only one I know of that is likely to go for anywhere near £25m...

To be fair, in the cruellest of ways, this might mean we get to keep him now (until January at least). That''s probably worth more to Norwich than £25m at the moment given how poor this side is when you remove Maddison from the equation.

That assumes he''s not out until Christmas AJ. Although I agree, no-one''s going to pay £25m for someone who''ll be injured for the first half of the season.

True, I was basing it on the injury not being as bad as feared. If he''s out until Decemeber then we might get to keep him until next summer. It''s a shame for all parties indeed, but in a selfish way I hope this means we get to see him in a yellow and green shirt again next season.

As has already been mentioned, we''ve turned down good money in the past only to see a player''s value diminish due to injury, especially one who carries the team at a time when money is tight and investment is needed elsewhere. This is one reason why I''d tend to want to sell slightly early, albeit with a hefty sell-on clause.Saying all that, it''s bad luck and we''ve not exactly held on say two seasons too long and hence increased the risk of injury beyond an acceptable level. Let''s hope that Maddison''s injury isn''t as bad as is feared.

Leaving out a player in that situation is a bit like putting a for sale sign out.

Having said that, I was surprised to see him in the starting lineup on Saturday.

When do you start keeping out a player who''s likely to be sold ?  Well, if it''s true (as was said on here a while back), our player wage budget next season will be around £13m without any player sales, & you have just one player who realistically can be sold for £25m or so, I''d say an absolutely meaningless final game away from home would probably be a good time to start...

Astonishing how so many people are saying this now - where were they and their comments before the game? And how many ''we never got a chance to say goodbye'' threads there would have been had he left.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When he was subbed v Leeds I thought that was it, as with Hoolahan. I would have liked to have seen Fonkeu v Wednesday.

Still he could have got injured in training or getting out of a car. Was it Butterworth who got crocked during his hols?

Just bad luck.

Was it a watersports accident on the Norfolk Broads that did for Butterworth? You never know what''s on the way.