Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Maddison Update

In an ideal world I''m sure we all would. However I think it is fairly clear selling him is key to any summer plans.

I was more worried about Maddison himself.

Whatever he does, I wish him well. It would have been a crying shame if injury had crushed what should be a stellar career.

He could still be badly injured at any stage of course, but it looks like this one won''t stop his development. As it is it appears both James & the club have been very fortunate.

[quote user="king canary"]I think 8 weeks out won''t stop him being sold- he''d still be able to have a decent pre season and most Premier League clubs will start a bit later due to the World Cup.[/quote]Premier League transfer window for buying players ends on 9th August. The rest of Europe end thier window at the end of August. Premier League clubs will be able to sell players up to the end of August.

I meant start pre-season a bit later rather than start buying players but I had forgotten about those changes. Still don''t think it changes much tbh.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 09/05/2018 12:26 PM:

“I was more worried about Maddison himself. “

Here here👍

Phew. Thank feck.

Much as I''d love him to stay, I think this incident highlights just how we can''t afford to be beholden to one prized asset, in the situation we find ourselves.

Ultimately it should make more sense to sell him, assuming that a good proportion of the proceeds are wisely spent on 3 or 4 obvious gaps in the squad. The key word here, of course, is ''wisely''... (Or ''spent'' - simply servicing debt with the Maddison money won''t help us on the football side...)

As we don''t know where the wage bill stands it is really difficult to know how much of the Maddison money can be reinvested into new signings.

Selling would ease some financial issues for sure and it could be that all of the money is soaked up in wages and any shortfall in funds.  Would love to see him stay, he has been a huge highlight of our season, simply brilliant player at his best, but I would go as far as to say it would be good for the club to sell him for the long term, rarely will we have the opportunity to make so much money on one player - and that scare on the last day should focus minds on what needs to be done. Good luck to him getting fit and rested and whether he stays or not, look forward to following his career.