Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Maddison Update

Time to get the worry beads out.

It''s screwed the financials whatever. No sane club is going to pay anywhere near what we could have got last week, no matter how well he recovers. Maybe in a couple of years time, but there''ll be lingering doubts.

It might be best if we hang on to him now & pray he can spur us on to a decent finish next year. God knows how we''ll fill the hole in the accounts though.

....and that''s where we are ....the whole club''s immediate future rests on the outcome of one individuals scan on his knee.

Time for the club to look for other sources of income. ..as happens at other clubs.

Start with selling to owners who will put money into the club....instead of chairman who appears on strictly come dancing

Who, in the know can explain why the scan is not today and later in the week instead.

Is there a medical reason to do with reduced swelling or something similar?

If not it the lack of urgency could mean that it is not at all serious.

Are we that strapped for cash that he has to go NHS?

The swelling must be pretty bad to delay the scan ... unless the club simply want more time to consider how it will manage the bad news???

Webber must be sweating ... could terrible news unpick our entire transfer strategy? If so, why on earth did we field James yesterday?

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]The swelling must be pretty bad to delay the scan ... unless the club simply want more time to consider how it will manage the bad news???

Webber must be sweating ... could terrible news unpick our entire transfer strategy? If so, why on earth did we field James yesterday?[/quote]The remainder of our squad have relatively low stock, certainly nowhere near the £35m touted for Maddison. Others clubs will realise we are in the shit and the vultures will swoop. Worrying times.

I''ve heard that his leg had to be amputated and they are waiting for a new one to grow before any announcement is made. That and the rumours of the sky falling down are also playing into this. Fuck me. Have we got the whole summer of this panicked fearmongering and doomsday scenarios to put up with?[:''(]

A leg of lamb at Sainsbury''s is £8 a kilo so it should be a bit more expensive than that.

If this appraisal is correct, then we may have cause for hope (pinched from WOTB):

Maddison - non expert injury view.

By no means a medical expert - just my opinion based on seeing the incident and having had knee ligament injuries myself in the past.

My lad spotted that Maddison had picked up a knock a few minutes before he went down and was struggling to run it off. He managed a half-hearted tackle and a quick pass back to a player who passed to him before moving forward and then going down for treatment. We sussed straight away that he was coming off. After the game he struggle to get on to the bus on the crutches and looked in pain but was able to slowly climb up a step at a time. Both Hanley and Farke commented to my son that it wasn''t looking good.

Now one ligament I did I hobbled on and carried on limping around the pitch stupidly and ended up on crutches for about 6 weeks. Another, more serious one, there was no way I could play on as soon as I had done it and had to come straight off. Now clearly Maddison is a far more trained athlete than I ever was - but watching the injury, and his response to it, I would lean towards it being a less serious ligament strain.

Now watch how completely the opposite is announced later in the week!

Any Joints including the knee are really individual injuries

it really is what has happened between the knee joint where the problem make lie

the swelling taking this long to go down or down enough for a scan to be done is the bit that worries me most

until the scan is down Nobody will know 100 % what damage has been done inside the joint and any ligament outside

i hope the lad is ok any this is just a one off and not the start of knee problems as his future is so bright

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Any Joints including the knee are really individual injuries

it really is what has happened between the knee joint where the problem make lie

the swelling taking this long to go down or down enough for a scan to be done is the bit that worries me most

until the scan is down Nobody will know 100 % what damage has been done inside the joint and any ligament outside

i hope the lad is ok any this is just a one off and not the start of knee problems as his future is so bright[/quote]
When I rolled the ligament and got it trapped under my kneecap, it "twanged" the ligament rather than snapped it, but the swelling was absolutely brutal and took about 4 or 5 days to settle down. I was OK again within a couple of months. I wouldn''t read anything into the swelling one way or another.

I was there for when Ruddy, Bennett and Thompson all did theirs (and was there on sunday, perhaps im cursed). All 3 of them didnt "look" bad in that they walked off the pitch but all 3 were non-contact injuries that just make it seem worse compared to maddison who looked like he came out of a 5050 worse for wear.

Perhaps i am naive but are we really that badly in the doo doo that we have to sell maddison? We have raked in a hell of a lot of fees recently and while i know the parachute payments have stopped, we dont have that many big earners left do we? It perhaps means the likes of klose and oliveira will go but to be honest i wont miss them that much, certainly a lot less than maddison.

Yes i know £25m is a lot of money (of which cov would get a load anyway) and it may mean we dont get to spen a few mill on a decent striker or 2 but we will just have to shop smarter or give the likes of morris or abrahams a go. If scum can find waghorn for £1m whos to say we cant do likewise? Cardiff didnt need millions to get their team together.

You''d have to say that even in a best case scenario (fingers crossed) it looks like he may be injured over the summer and probably touch and go for pre-season. That being the case for the sums of money being touted about it must be unlikely that anyone will buy him until he has proven his fitness again. Whilst very sad for him, the silver lining for us as fans may be that we get to see this talent play for us again for at least part of next season. Clearly this is not the way that we would want to see this happen and his career is the most important thing (genuinely think he can be an England regular) but I just think the odds are now that he will be with us at the start of next season and the best we can hope for therefore is that he is back fit early next season and able to play a part.

As others have also commented in reply to Bailey''s article re where does it leave us if we cannot sell him this summer, if we are reliant on selling Madders this summer then frankly someone has not done their job because there was absolutely no guarantee that he would break through as he has done and become such a valuable asset this season. As such, i do not expect our plans this summer to be predicated on selling him for big money although clearly such a big money sale would bring breathing space, flexibility and perhaps the ability to spend a bit more than we now will be able to.

What do we do if the injury is ‘middling’ (that is, we think he might miss the first month or so of next season but isn’t too long term) and we get an offer of around 15mil in the summer?

With no guarantee he’ll fully recover and 15mil getting us a couple of decent players (albeit the full 15mil is unlikely to be available to spend on players) before the season starts, would you cash in?

Or do we hold off and hope he recovers, only misses a few games, stars for us next season and cash in in January/next summer for even more money (after he’s proven he can do it two years in a row and not just a one-season wonder)?

Some truth in that Jim, but you never know how things are going to pan out at the start of a season. I think it''s fair to say that the noises emanating from Fortress Carrow for the last few months have been bracing us for Maddison''s departure. I also believe that the transfer policy plan for this window was based on the premise that the club finances would be secured by his sale, thereby relieving Mr Steve Stone and permitting the acquisition of three or four 1-2m signings on wages within the new structure. His injury (and I wish him nothing but the best) has moved the goalposts somewhat and I''m sure the accountants upstairs are sweating on this much-anticipated scan. It could very well result in him being on the books here in September, which doesn''t sound too bad, does it?!

However it''s no secret that Webber''s remit is to clear out the players on Premier League wages, attempt to sign players who can compete at top-half Championship level while earning Championship wages, balance the books & still challenge for top six. No mean feat and I expect plenty of movement in & out again.

GK - Angus Gunn is going back and I think they''ll go with Matthews come August. Important pre-season for him & the club. McGovern & Oxborough to back him up. Possibly another Angus-esque loan from the PL.

RB - I think Pinto might be on the move soon and I expect a new, more defensive-minded signing in his position.

CB - I get the feeling Klose will still be here next season, despite his (assumedly) higher wages. Hanley will surely stick around. Zimmermann has done enough for me and can slot in, maybe not quite first choice. Poor aul Raggett must be scratching his head a bit although the choice to revert to the back four coupled with the surprising lack of injuries in this position has sharply limited his game time. I expect Franke to be touted around Germany in an attempt to recoup some of the money invested in him. We''ll probably see a fresh signing here and perhaps Raggett out on loan.

LB - I fully expect Jamal to complete at least one more season here before they ring the register on him. Great positive this season. Husband is adequate back up so we''re ok here.

DM / CM - Assuming Reed & Leitner are gone, on paper we don''t look too bad here but is there enough quality & strength in depth to push for the top six? Tettey should be good for 20-30 starts. Hopefully Godfrey makes his mark next season. Vrancic you would assume is ready to (hopefully) make a more consistent mark and cement his spot. Thompson will probably step down a division until January unless he impresses pre-season. I like Trybull and hopefully he can stay fit. Stiepermann will plug a few gaps here & there no doubt and it''s no harm having him on the books. Kenny McLean didn''t come to sit on the sidelines so before any new faces even arrive, we''re not too bad here. Probably one more front line option will come in here over the summer.

AM - Madders is the big question mark here, isn''t he? What''s gonna happen? You have to feel sorry for him, and we all pondered exactly this over the last month or so. A cruel blow for him personally.

I wouldn''t be surprised to see Josh move on soon, particularly if JM is sticking around for a while yet. Onel looks promising and it''s unfortunate he got injured when he did because he needed to get the games under his belt this season. I expect to see Wildschut & Watkins moved on. Cantwell might see some decent pitch time next season, or more likely another loan but he shows promise. No Wes of course so we''re a bit shy at this end of the pitch. Possibly one front line signing here, backed up by the youth players.

FW - Surely Oliveira is on his way out? Bank a few million. Sadly I don''t think Srbeny is the man to fire us up the standings. Webber has his hands full to locate that elusive diamond (or two!) who signs & plays for peanuts up top while banging them in. Best of luck with that. Unlikely Morris, Abrahams, Idah, Mourgos etc... are front line yet if top six is the ambition.

I''m not even considering Naismith, Martin or the unfortunate Jarvis in this discussion. Perhaps one or two of the younger lads might surprise us and step up, a la Lewis this year.

Although I''m sure I''ve missed a few, that''s my two cents at this point in time. Webber has his hands full and I''m sure he has plenty of irons in the fire already. It remains to be seen how the Maddison curveball will affect things.

As ridiculous as it is to make a prediction for next May now, I''m gonna do just that. A marginally better but still inconsistent season, finishing in 9th.

Essay over.

Hopefully with the Saints all but safe we can sign Reed as Pinto''s replacement...

Well, looks like it''s good news. Apprix 8 weeks out and should be back in time for the start of next season.

That''s not too bad - gives him plenty of time to rest and recharge over the summer. Whether anyone in the PL will take a punt on him in the meantime is to be seen (bearing in mind the rule change that their transfers need to be done earlier), but perhaps the injury will allow us to keep until at least the January Window.

I think 8 weeks out won''t stop him being sold- he''d still be able to have a decent pre season and most Premier League clubs will start a bit later due to the World Cup.

Also, it is a sad state of affairs that fans are so happy he''s not injured, not because we need him to play but because we need to sell him.

I''d rather we keep him, King...