Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Leitner Has Said His Goodbyes.

He''s not really pulled up any trees in his recent appearances has he. I would obviously quite like him to stay if its possible but if the finances don;t work then not one I will lose masses of sleep over. Keeping Tettey was more important.

[quote user="king canary"]I just don''t get the hype with him. Neat and tidy but Vrancic seems to have more range.[/quote]I agree - on the plus side, he is comfortable and tidy with the ball at his feet and making short range passes.  On the negative side, he slows the game down, takes too many touches in the final third and produces little in the way of incisive balls.  As one of our play-makers, I expected much more from him.

Just had a brief look at his stats, interesting to note we''ve not won any of the games he''s started this season!

Obviously I''m not saying that is his fault but it is an interesting note.

Another of these "infill" players. Plays a lot of short fairly meaningless balls and did little for me. Failed to drive forward and never dominated a game and as with the rest of the team made little or no contribution in the opponents penalty area. As an overall effective player not a patch on say Bradley Johnson. I would not have retained Tettey. Past his best and clearly not fit enough these days to contribute to a full tough season. By the way, why so many players injured during the week in training ?? Is it the methods employed ??

3 years left on his current deal with Augsburg would suggest to me he won’t be returning. Hang on, Augsburg would pay the contract up if he left wouldn’t they ? 😉

Very good player.

Like Vrancic he sees things the others don''t or he sees them quicker.

Would be very encouraging to see him back.

In reality I would like him back here, but as others have said, with Mclean coming in and Vrancic finding his feet do we really need him?

Lets get realistic about this. His performances have been steady, but at no stage has he looked to be a match winner. Add that he was signed by his current club for about £1.5m and they after one season do not want to play him. I suspect he may be on the market for less than his last transfer fee, if he comes fine he will be a decent squad member but i do not think the success or other wise of next season will be greatly impacted one way or the other

His technical ability can''t be questioned, but with money tight and Tettey, Trybull, Godfrey, Thomson, Vrancic and McLean fighting for 2 places in central midfield, our priorities lie elsewhere. I can see Thomson going out on loan for the first half of the season though to get himself some regular matches after such a long time out.

Obviously it depends on all sorts of factors, but one way or another we are losing  two of our three most technically gifted players from midfield, who had a total of  72 appearances this season,with only Vrancic left (assuming McLean is more an all-purpose player).Given the way Farke wants us to play, and the likely cost of finding an equally talented player of that type, my guess is we would like to sign him permanently.

I got the impression that he and maddison were competing for the same space and role, add in vrancic also being a ball player we have been over stocked with those roles creating a disbalance. At times he seemed to be a step ahead of his team mates.

He has some quality, but the lack of end product would be a concern.

A good player, but Leitner is somewhat injury prone. With our record of signing injury-plagued players, I''d personally prefer someone who is more likely to complete a full season.

I think he''s a very good player and I''d like us to sign him - with the number of games we have in the championship and even with McLean coming in, I think he''d cause competition for places and get decent game time

I''m not sure we have seen him in his best position yet

Madders has probably kept him out of his best position

I think he''s a talented player, who plays with confidence and creativity and will be a real asset next season (should he sign)

I doubt the transfer fee was ever a real issue. I''d expect he was happy to come here to get his fitness up, but ultimately wants to play at a higher level, not mid table Championship.

I''d say you have it there Icecream. He came here to get some games under his belt, just like we (and most clubs) farm out players all over the place. I sense we didn''t really see the best of him due to his unfortunate injury just when he was getting somewhere. The tone of his message suggests he won''t be back. Best of luck to him.

Thompson out on loan until January is quite likely I would have thought after pre-season unless he makes huge strides. And I have high hopes for Godfrey to get lots of game time next season, so I hope that ''liking'' business on another thread is what it sounds like to me, which is complete b0110x.

King Canary, I believe he started in the Leeds game.

Vrancic has got better and better but having both in the starting eleven, along with Trybul would be special.

Think he would be a star if he’s played behind the striker but obviously given Maddison that wasn’t ever going to happen. Trybulls Injury may well of had an affect on his position as TT is fairly quick with moving the ball along and you don’t get that with tettey.

Injury/transfer affecting Maddison’s position at the club I wouldn’t mind is trying to bring leitner back in a more attacking capacity.

Always seems a nice friendly guy based on social media, he’s tied up to a contract in Germany so wouldn’t ever say he wants to leave/stay here publicly

He''s been neat and tidy, but nothing has really set the world alight. Think a lot of fans are swayed by his "pedigree" rather than his output.

For me, Trybull is the one to try and get, but probably the less realistic target too.

[quote user="Ian"]He''s been neat and tidy, but nothing has really set the world alight. Think a lot of fans are swayed by his "pedigree" rather than his output. For me,Trybull is the one to try and get,but probably the less realistic target too.[/quote]He signed a three and a half year deal back in February.

First choice midfield: Trybull and Tettey in the holding central positions with MacLean ahead of them and Onel and Murphy on either wing, supporting our new striker.

Vrancic, Godfrey, Thompson, Cantwell, Stiepermann are the back ups - though I expect Thompson to go out on loan. Farke does like Vrancic though, so he could be ahead of MacLean.

This is on the assumption that Watkins, Maddison, Jarvis, Wildschut and Naismith are leaving.

With all this in mind, I can''t see any room or need for Leitner, though I have really enjoyed watching him in the few games we''ve seen him.

FFS, good point. In my defence I meant Reed...

Out of interest is ''number 10'' a role he''s played regularly elsewhere? Lots of people seem sure it is his natural position.

Yes Ian, it''s the height, beardiness & ginger hair that makes them so easily confused :-)

(just joshing - we''ve all done it)

Given how rubbish, dull and uninspiring we’ve been all season I can’t BELIEVE that anybody is particularly keen for anyone to stay.

Time to tear up the plan and start again. Again.