Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Are we in the money...

Is Rob Green a goalkeeping coach at Huddersfield? If not it was his doppelgänger celebrating on the pitch after the game tonight.

Can''t even say I''ve noticed him do anything of note for Huddersfield

Yes we are ''in the money'', but the problem is 1mil doesn''t really get you much these days in the Championship.

I guess it will cover the wages of a ''marquee signing'' for a year, but that''s as far as it goes

A million is better than a slap in the face. We need every penny we can get. If nothing else it''ll pay Naismith''s wages for a week or two...

It was ''reported'' that we paid £8m for Pritchard, and his wages were such that we must have outbid Brighton at the time.

Even so, we may have made a profit on the player.

I am always a little critical of players who jump off a significant spell on the treatment table and then ask for a transfer soon after.

It''s the ''James Vaughan Syndrome.'' Whether Pritchard is actually culpable in this respect might be in doubt, but we have had a few of those in the past.

I guess it will cover the wages of a ''marquee signing'' for a year, but that''s as far as it goes

I doubt that will happen until we get back in the Prem. We have to be looking at less than a million from now on.

You could get a great marquee for a million quid...

In all seriousness, the reason I put marquee in quotation marks is I don''t think for a second we will be spending 8/10mil on a player, but I think we will have to spend more on a striker than £1/2mil - probably up to the £5mil mark, paid for by moving on Oliveira and part of the Maddison fee

He''s talking tents RB.

I think that if we can get a decent amount for Oliveira (and a more than decent wedge was apparently once offered) then we should expect that full amount to be spent on a replacement.

Add in something for Watkins and we might well be up for the two strikers we need.

I can see Pinto and/or Klose going on the basis of wages, chuck in Oliveira on that basis alone and we should be able to raise a fair bit. And no, I hope both the former two stay.However it is down to what level of striker we are looking at.In the PL we were paying for players who were (supposedly) able to hit the ground running ie ready to be part of the first team immediately.We are, at the moment, stuck between serving our immediate needs ie forward ready for the beginning of the season, investing and developing players for the seasons ahead whilst having to massively cut back the wage bill.Not the easiest of balancing acts.

I do think we should be looking closer to home for a striking solution. Srbeny is a trier, but I can''t see him getting the 15+ next season that you would expect a striker to get.

I''m also slightly baffled that he went straight into the squad ahead of Abrahams, Fonkeu and latterly Idah. Yes, they''re young and haven''t played at senior level, but it would have been nice to see them in a senior squad at some point.

The problem is we don''t seem to have  striker who can regularly score and the question isare we not getting the ball into the box because of that ?or is it because we are not getting the ball into the box we are not scoring regularly enough ?I tend to think it is the latter, hence we are seeing so many shots from outside ot just in the box. Stick the ball near the box and Holt would score.Both Olive Oil and Sir Benny seem to prefer drifting wide rather than getting in the box waiting for a cross.We need a ''finisher'' so to speak - hopefully one of those named in Woodman''s post will be ready to step up at some point as I doubt they were signed in some two for one type deal ie they were at a bargain price and we will work out what to do later.

Talk of a 15+ goalscorer is interesting with just 6 players scoring more than 15 and only vydra more than 20. Jota was one for wolves with none from Cardiff. 3 of the clubs didnt make the play offs and its only a chance thay vydra or grabban get promoted too.

A good striker helps but goals from multiple sources is preferred and more importantly is conceding less than 50 goals.

It''s all guesswork and it seems to me people like the worst guess scenario.

I can''t help thinking back to this time last year when budgets were set for the end of the parachute payments. 20m or anything like that for Maddison obviously wasn''t factored in because that value is a result of this seasons performances. Which is why I take with a pinch of salt the claims that the club''s future is reliant on one player.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]It''s all guesswork and it seems to me people like the worst guess scenario.

I can''t help thinking back to this time last year when budgets were set for the end of the parachute payments. 20m or anything like that for Maddison obviously wasn''t factored in because that value is a result of this seasons performances. Which is why I take with a pinch of salt the claims that the club''s future is reliant on one player.[/quote]

You are making a massive assumption that there is competence in the budgeting process. Some of us can remember Delia’s prudence with ambition strategy that nearly bankrupted the club

Delia out stinking rich Chinese owner in

[quote user="The Shining"]Delia out stinking rich Chinese owner in[/quote]Their stinking rich Chinese owner hasn''t done WBA much good has he? [:S]

The TOTT was wall to wall with investors on Tuesday evening. None were particularly oriental looking.

But I had a word with Delia and you can have sweet & sour source on your prawn balls next season.

Baby steps...

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Shining"]Delia out stinking rich Chinese owner in[/quote]Their stinking rich Chinese owner hasn''t done WBA much good has he? [:S][/quote]Stinking Richwhat about Smelly Dick his cousin ?

[quote user="AJ"]Can''t even say I''ve noticed him do anything of note for Huddersfield[/quote]
This is because he is playing in a rigid defensive system where the priority is not to lose games rather than win them.  He may realise in time that he enjoyed his football more with clubs more intent on attack.