Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Farke Off ?

For those unaware DF was being linked with a move to the club (in the link above)

Have to say that after two weeks reflection on last season and with the games I saw in full, I have to say I preferred Alex Neil to DF.

Those who like his style are welcome to it. I don''t think the excuse that he is trying to play football the right way means anything.

There is no right way. The best way is to have an entertaining team that wins more than it loses. And we didn''t have that last season.

Probably due to having to prepare for a £30m odd cut in our income
Perhaps you could remind us what cuts AN faced

Perhaps you could remind us what cuts AN faced

None as far as I know and he spent most of our money and wasted so much of it.

And I criticised him as much as anyone did. But his style of football was trying to be positive, unlike the current style under DF which is merely containing.

I fail to see what circumstances were so difficult for DF. He had a top keeper, a top central midfield player and a proven goalscorer in this division. Not a bad spine at all.

That he, along with Webber, failed to bring in another striker, knowing jerome was going, with any real ability other than continuously looking abroad was his fault.

And to not give Raggett one start while Zimmermann was allowed to play awful at times cements my belief that he is equipped to coach a team under real pressure. Being a reserve team manager carries very little pressure.

I will be quite happy to eat humble pie if he comes good next year but please stop hiding behind the propaganda of difficult transition. I don''t accept it one jot.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Perhaps you could remind us what cuts AN faced

None as far as I know and he spent most of our money and wasted so much of it.

And I criticised him as much as anyone did. But his style of football was trying to be positive, unlike the current style under DF which is merely containing.

I fail to see what circumstances were so difficult for DF. He had a top keeper, a top central midfield player and a proven goalscorer in this division. Not a bad spine at all.

That he, along with Webber, failed to bring in another striker, knowing jerome was going, with any real ability other than continuously looking abroad was his fault.

And to not give Raggett one start while Zimmermann was allowed to play awful at times cements my belief that he is equipped to coach a team under real pressure. Being a reserve team manager carries very little pressure.

I will be quite happy to eat humble pie if he comes good next year but please stop hiding behind the propaganda of difficult transition. I don''t accept it one jot.[/quote]
It is not propaganda as you so oddly put it... it is the reality of the situation.
AN''s style of football was based on having a PL wage budget, quite the opposite of what DF was faced with.
This spine you talk of consisted of two youngsters and one flop. The very reason another striker was not brought in was because of that need to transition from a budget that was to lose £30m. Point out any club that after their final parachute payments have been able to achieve what you seem to demand.
Webber has stated that it will take 3 transfer windows to get things right ie swap PL wage players for Championship budget players.
So stop whining as if everyone who isn''t as your level of whining somehow enjoyed all of last season''s games and had to cause for complaint.
We are in a situation never before faced by our club, so stop belly aching.

All fair points KG. The thing I feel is not taken into account enough though is the turmoil that he has had to manage the club through.

Team spirit it an enormous part of a successful team. When you have several senior players leaving, others who (in my opinion) were just running down their inflated contracts while contributing very little and a pretty large turnover of new players, many from abroad then that is not going to be easy to build.

Can''t argue with the dreadful sterile stuff that has been served up though so agree that that has to improve. Easier for it to happen with a bit of stability though!

I see no relevance in a budget to how a manager prefers his team to play. That is Farkes preferred style of play and his teams would play that way if his budget were 100k or £100 million. The difference being that the quality and end product increases as the quality of player increases. Do we now believe that if Mick McCarthy had, had a huge budget at Ipswich then his team would have played a cultured game? Of cause they wouldn’t have, it would have been a far more effective long ball game with greater end product.

[quote user="JF"]I see no relevance in a budget to how a manager prefers his team to play. That is Farkes preferred style of play and his teams would play that way if his budget were 100k or £100 million. The difference being that the quality and end product increases as the quality of player increases. Do we now believe that if Mick McCarthy had, had a huge budget at Ipswich then his team would have played a cultured game? Of cause they wouldn’t have, it would have been a far more effective long ball game with greater end product.[/quote]The budget makes no difference... look at Man city and give your head a shake..

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]All fair points KG. The thing I feel is not taken into account enough though is the turmoil that he has had to manage the club through.

Team spirit it an enormous part of a successful team. When you have several senior players leaving, others who (in my opinion) were just running down their inflated contracts while contributing very little and a pretty large turnover of new players, many from abroad then that is not going to be easy to build.

Can''t argue with the dreadful sterile stuff that has been served up though so agree that that has to improve. Easier for it to happen with a bit of stability though![/quote]
While that was the case earlier in the season. And I posted about how much I preferred last season at the time. It was not the case later on in the season but it seemed some fans were either unwilling or unable to see the difference. I''d watch games where we''d have umpteen shots and a high corner count (Leeds, Cardiff, Villa, Fulham, Reading, Forest, Bolton) only to read on here about negative football. 
The games I listed were our last seven home games and not randomly selected to make a point. I simply cannot agree that any of them were dreadful sterile stuff. In fact quite the opposite.

And if Mick McCarthy had that same budget do you believe his teams would be playing that style of football? Shake your own head you prick

None of that holds any relevance to how a manager wants his teams to play. If Farke were managing the under 16 local lads team he would play a patient build up game. It’s his style. And depending on where his career progresses his teams will always play that way with varying degrees of success depending upon the quality of player he has that can execute it. If we were to be taken over by a billionaire and he were kept on, that patient build up game will still be there

So why the change in playing style after Xmas ?
Why did the possession at all costs go out off the window ?
Why do teams change their style during a game, depending on the goals required or defended ?
I suspect that hanging over the club up to Xmas was the possibility of relegation, so the team dug in and ground out points where possible - once freed of that we saw a more expansive style of play.
That sort of thing does happen you know.

I believe Farke will prove himself a good head coach. Hopefully that''s here, if not itll be somewhere else in my opinion.

There''s nothing wrong with his style of play when we actually play how he wants. He doesnt want us moving the ball slowly - he''s brought that up enough in post match interviews to make that clear. I imagine the inconsistency in the team all season and that lack of cohesion to make the style work probably had something to do with a large changeover in players, a large changeover of staff, introducing foreign players into the squad and this league and persisting with young players where possible. So pretty understandable in my book.

We are in a situation never before faced by our club, so stop belly aching.

Choose your words carefully before something about spitting into the wind comes into play.

You obviously know very little about the club despite your arrogance.

Just stick to your belly aching about brexit on another topic.

The club has been in far worse positions than this. The mid fifties, the mid nineties and the mid noughties were worse,

We have a squad of players with enough skill and desire to finish much higher.

The two youngsters you refer to are worth several million, one of whom was in the running for Championship player of the year and our own POTS.

Cameron Jerome had a proven record at Championship level and was wasting his time waiting for the ball to arrive.

The emergence of Lewis, the loan of Reed and renewed energy of Tettey and arrival of Hanley, good enough to be selected for his country, gave us the backbone of a squad good enough to compete.

But compete is one thing we never did. We went unbeaten for a few weeks and never moved up the table.

And while we conceded, the supporters were happy to blame the defence without ever questioning our midfield''s contribution to our woes.

So while individuals were blamed match after match, all the coach would do is send out the same formation, game after game, playing the same sterile football.

And yes we created chances, but so did the opposition in many of the games and 20 attempts is meaningless if 15 were way over the bar.

Adams came under fire for being a youth team coach. Neil came under fire for being inexperienced yet we are supposed to accept that a coach from a German reserve team must be given time because of the financial situation while the evidence in front of our eyes is that we scored just over a goal a game while conceding many more.

As I said before, I will be delighted to be proved wrong. But please present the evidence that gives me reason for hope.

Agreed there has been improvement as the season has gone on. I think that reinforces the point I was trying make that the effect of so many changes took some time to work through.

It concerns me that we may well have another close season with many comings and goings which will again require some bedding in. I''d like DF to have a proper period with a relatively settled squad to see what he can do.

I think most close seasons we have seen a fair bit of coming and going.
At the moment we are till in the position of having our budget skewed towards a few remaining PL wages, which are undoubtedly taking a disproportionate anount of that budget.
So maybe we will see the loss of Pinto and Klose on the basis of ''cashing in'' before their contracts run out. It will take another year before we see the end of paying Martin, Naismith and Jarvis.
So we are still rather battling with one hand tied behind our back, as I''m sure that whatever is going out in the latter three''s wages could be better served signing the likes of Vrancic, Trybul and Odel instead.
How we blend in the likes of Godfrey, Morris, Cantwell, Abrahams, Foneu and others will be a test of the coaching staff. They are with us so as to step up, not simply act as bodies to make up th numbers in the ''youth'' teams.
I am confident that with the signings of Ida, Phillips, Power... we are setting up a ''production line that will continue - so fans should be a bit more patient as this was always going to take time as the cost of buying players who can fit in instantly is not within our budget at the moment.