Sign in to follow this  
tricky974

How good is Remi Matthews?

Angus Gunn had a good season in the net for us and I know we would all like a second season with Angus back here, but from what I''ve seen is that the chances of that are slim as Man City want him tested at the premier league level.

So how good is Remi Matthews is he good enough to be our No.1, I know he did well away on loan but that was in a lower league or do we need to bring in a goalkeeper or will we just wait and see.

I seem to be alone in thinking Gunn was merely ''ok'' - he was decent enough but there were also several errors; I don''t recall that many match-winning saves. IMO Matthews has to be given a go this coming season or he might as well leave.

Angus had a couple of errors but overall he had a very good season. Made some great saves and his distribution is top notch.

It would be a huge result to get him back here.

He seems to have done very well so far. Whether he is able to make the step up we don''t know but I think it is fair to give him a shot, certainly over loaning in another young keeper.

".....give him a shot, ..."

Agree KC.

He seems like a ready made replacement, imo, although for more certainty the ideal would be for another season from Gunn with Remi firmly as number two and used for cup games and whenever necessary on top of these.

On a wider consideration we really do need to promote some more of these promising youngsters in any case. It makes financial sense if only because we have invested so much in their various careers. It also fits in with our current model and would hopefully, in a few cases, replace investment in the market.

Being slightly tight for money and facing Championship football again makes for more opportunities for these boys than they would get if we were Premier League.

So many youngsters heralded for their promise seem to fall by the wayside without ever getting a genuine opportunity. The occasional ones who fight back through the lower leagues present another indication of the folly of not bringing them through early enough.

Starting with Lewis, then Matthews and onto Cantwell and Fonkeu, along with the more established Thompson and Godfrey, we would seem to have a ready made array of youth that could blossom on the front line.

(Sent from my iphone and from my camp bed pitched in a very prominent position on the route to Windsor Castle.)

Truth is of course that right now no one here knows how good he is. But yes he seemed to have done a good job at Plymouth and lets not forget, we just finished in the bottom half of the Championship. In my eyes the situation is tailor made now for Remi to start the season as our no. 1, and for us fans to support a local grown young man find his place as our regular no.1. The rest as they, is up to him if hes indeed given that chance. Angus had a good season with us and i wish him well in his career elsewhere, but we really have to put Angus behind us, he is destined for higher places than Carrow Road.

I don''t think it is as simple as getting in a good goalkeeper, with the way we play he has to be good with his feet too.

Gunn did very well but his best attribute was how comfortable he was with the ball at his feet.

It''s like ederson at man city. I think Matthews is as good as Gunn if not a better keeper but not sure how he is withvthe ball at his feet

I think the thing with Gunn is he makes everything look very easy and comfortable which in turn gives the defence confidence. There were no real dramas and his positioning and reading of the game means that he often negates the need to make spectacular looking saves.

I can;t really recall him making any really costly handling errors or mistakes all season to be honest. The only time I thought he looked a bit twitchy was the first half against the sc*m at home.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I seem to be alone in thinking Gunn was merely ''ok'' - he was decent enough but there were also several errors; I don''t recall that many match-winning saves. IMO Matthews has to be given a go this coming season or he might as well leave.[/quote]

You obviously didn''t go to Bristol City away then?

He (Gunn) was blamed for the first Cardiff goal - beaten at his near post, but people forgot he made a blinding first save in the build up to that goal.

The only real mistakes I remember were against QPR and Sheff Wed when he didn''t clear the ball from high crosses or got beaten to them by burly centre forwards.

At the time I thought it was a massive risk signing Gunn as first choice considering his total lack of first team action before he arrived at Carrow Road. I even thought that there was a degree of sentiment in the move.

Clearly this was unfounded. Given his background it was no surprise that he not only had the confidence to perform but also possessed all the very basic attributes needed by a ''keeper these days. Command of the area, determination to get to crosses, positioning, safe handling, distribution etc. Because of this he was an instant hit and, although I wouldn''t call him a Kevin Keelan, his shot stopping was usually top class.

For some reason I do not now see Remi Matthews as being such a big risk. Hopefully I am not mistaken.

Pep might like Gunny to get PL experience but what PL team would put their faith in a keeper with limited experience to keep them up. As it is likely only a lesser light would be interested.

Gunn only conceded a handful of goals less than the much criticised Ruddy the season before. I’m not saying he was a bad keeper, far from it. But I do wonder if the love in would be the same had he not been a son of a Norwich legend and “one of our own”?

JF your comment makes it sound like you saw very little of norwich over the last season or even highlights.

There is no sentiment going on here, Gunn is real quality, both in terms of shot stopping and his distribution. The season before Ruddy was making a costly mistake every third game. While Gunn made 3 or 4 big errors over the season he pulled out far more gane winning saves than ruddy the season before...the main issue was these saves weren''t really highlighted since we went competitive in a lot of said games.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]At the time I thought it was a massive risk signing Gunn as first choice considering his total lack of first team action before he arrived at Carrow Road. I even thought that there was a degree of sentiment in the move.

Clearly this was unfounded. Given his background it was no surprise that he not only had the confidence to perform but also possessed all the very basic attributes needed by a ''keeper these days. Command of the area, determination to get to crosses, positioning, safe handling, distribution etc. Because of this he was an instant hit and, although I wouldn''t call him a Kevin Keelan, his shot stopping was usually top class.

For some reason I do not now see Remi Matthews as being such a big risk. Hopefully I am not mistaken.[/quote]
I can only go on what little I saw, but given that I am not sure about positioning, which is the most important single attribute for a keeper. He was beaten at his near post for the Cardiff opener, and was certainly out of position for the  Grealish goal at home to Villa. Other aspects, such as  command of the area, were good.

"He was beaten at his near post for the Cardiff opener, and was certainly out of position for the Grealish goal at home to Villa. Other aspects, such as command of the area, were good."

Hence comments that he did show vulnerabilities towards the end, but otherwise it was always noticeable to me just how many shots actually went straight to him as if he was magnetic.

How many other times was he beaten at his near post during the season? Or perhaps more relevantly, how many saves did he make from shots at his near post?

Each to their own but surely Gunn must have been POTS if it weren''t for Maddison.

We saw a different type of keeper, playing the Manchester City way, and I thought he had to be 7+ out of 10 at least.

Seeing the amount of howlers keepers made all season I don''t think the very few he made should count for much against him.

Ruddy, according to some Wolves fans, was quite regular in making mistakes but they didn''t always lead to goals.

[quote user="Woodman"]How many other times was he beaten at his near post during the season? Or perhaps more relevantly, how many saves did he make from shots at his near post?[/quote]
Probably not many, I don''t doubt. And it was a double save, so he had to react quickly. The one that bothered me more was the mispositioning for the Grealish goal, when he had time to be in the right place.

As i expected this topic has switched to all about Angus last season. Guys, Angus has had lots of comments on lots of posts over the last year or so, let it go, like he has let us go. This topic was and should be, about Remi, so just try and comment on the OP;s question yea?

[quote user="Essjayess"]As i expected this topic has switched to all about Angus last season. Guys, Angus has had lots of comments on lots of posts over the last year or so, let it go, like he has let us go. This topic was and should be, about Remi, so just try and comment on the OP;s question yea?[/quote]

Fair enough but if you want to comment exclusively on Remi it''s basically going to be a short thread as no one really knows. I took a look on their forum and they seemed to think he was brilliant early on, not so good after. However that could be due to the personal problems he was having.

This topic was and should be, about Remi, so just try and comment on the OP;s question yea?

So busy telling other people what they should and should not post that he completely neglected to comment about Remi which is what the "topic was and should be about." Yea!

In future perhaps he should "just try and comment on the OP''s question" instead, " Yea? Yea?