Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Marcus Evans speaks

.... a load of vacuous waffle,in today''s great eventAbsolutely nothing other than 30 mins of worthless platitudes

Watched a little bit and apparently all in the Portman Road garden is coming up roses.

He came over as better than I anticipated considering his curious and secretive ways over the years. Not quite the eccentric that one might assume, very much the politician in fact.

He neatly side-stepped the question of increased funding into their transfer kitty so it will be business as usual in pauperland; except that the new man might not be as adept as MM picking up the occasional bargain.

Nothing to alarm us there and no further information regards the forthcoming manager.

He has a good line in shirts though. Must be a wealthy man.

When asked if he wants to sell the Club, where did I hear this or similar before - “But I have to be honest with you, I’m not too sure why, but I haven’t seen too many Chinese or Russian oligarchs racing up the A12 in the last few years.”

Nothing more than a bit of PR to get season ticket numbers up but it hasn''t stopped some Binner''s getting over excited on TWTD.[:D]

[quote user="ricardo"]Nothing more than a bit of PR to get season ticket numbers up but it hasn''t stopped some Binner''s getting over excited on TWTD.[:D][/quote]Or more to stop the ST sales from falling even further.Body language folk might have noted that Evans covered his mouth with a ''cough'' just after he spoke about the amount he has supposedly invested.Otherwise it contained nothing that hadn''t been stated previously, and had about as much in the way of content as ''young Mr Grace'' telling the staff of Grace brothers that ''you are all doing well''.

Here''s what he said to save you listening to the 26 min interview

Town owner Marcus Evans has given his first ever on-camera interview

Among many topics covered in the near-half-hour interview, Evans talks about the appointment of the new manager - “It’s a big challenge and it’s a big issue for me, to find the right person” - and says he has an open mind regarding the new boss’s profile.

“I’m going to look for a manager who ticks [various] boxes and through a process of interviewing and speaking with those that know and have worked with the applicants I can get down to my final options,” he said.

“I’m not going to prejudge a manager, they could be young, they could be older, they could be experienced at winning promotion to the Premier League or not, but overall I want to find someone that buys into the club’s plans.

“To be clear on that, that’s based on the Five-Point Plan which I announced a while ago and that I feel brings Ipswich the best opportunity for promotion.

“it includes bringing players through from the academy, developing a team to play attractive and exciting football and achieving this within a competitive wage budget which is going to be below many of the parachute clubs in our division.

“It’s going to take some time and I expect to make an appointment towards the end of May or early in June, I would have thought, something like that.”

He added: “There are a lot of names in there and it’s a lot to go through. I think another couple of important factors in the appointment not being rushed are that a lot’s going to happen at the end of the season and management changes anyway are going to take place at the end of the season and we want to see what those changes are because there may be others that come on the list that aren’t currently on the list.”

Regarding out of contract players such as Luke Hyam and Teddy Bishop, who we understand is already in talks regarding a new deal, Evans said: “There are a few players, not that many, that we need to make imminent decisions on and the senior football staff will make the decisions on that.

“They will let me know what they think and then if it’s appropriate for negotiations to take place to renew contacts or do whatever we need to do, they will take place. They don’t need to wait for the new manager to be in place.”

Evans makes reference to the Five-Point Plan outlined in December 2016 on several occasions and says that remains the thinking with the new manager having to work within the same financial constraints as previous boss Mick McCarthy.

“I’m going to give the same answer to the new manager as I have to all the other managers in terms of being up front and honest about the budgets that are available and the way that we’re going to go forwards,” the owner said.

“I will continue to give the manager all the support I can within the sort of budgets that I’ve made available over the last few years.

“But let’s look at the squad we’ve got, it is competitive, it’s a great mix of youth and experience, we’ve got good cover across all positions.

“We’ve got players to come back from injury, Emyr’s going to come back, Adeyemi, Dozzell, and even the players who have been round this season, we’ve had so many who have had stop-start seasons.

“So once we get everyone fit, make a few select additions, I think we can be in the mix next year.

“And it is worth noting, despite what anybody thinks, our spend on the squad in terms of transfer fees and wages has been increasing each year.”

Evans admits he got it wrong when he increased season ticket prices last summer: “When I raised the season ticket prices last year that we clearly a mistake, I shouldn’t have done that.

“The reason behind it was that we needed more revenue to compete, we still need more revenue to compete, but that clearly wasn’t the way to do it and that’s why I’ve dropped the season ticket price this year by 10 per cent.”

The Blues owner has no immediate plans to sell the club but says he would be willing to listen to offers if someone was in a better position to fund a promotion push.

“If I didn’t feel we had a chance [of winning promotion], then, yes, it would be time for me to move on,” he admitted.

“But I’ve got no desire to sell, I think the plan that I’ve got in place has a chance of success and I want to be here to carry out that plan.

“But money is always going to make a difference and more money in this league would give us a better chance, particularly if it’s spent wisely and particularly if someone came along who could do a better job, had the personal and financial credentials to do a better job, I’d always do what’s right for the club.

“I suppose I’m in the fortunate personal position where I don’t have to recoup the investment I’ve made in the club.

“So, I suppose, yes, if the right person came along, offered the right prospect for the club, it would be wrong for me to stand in their way and I’d have to look at that very seriously.

“But I have to be honest with you, I’m not too sure why, but I haven’t seen too many Chinese or Russian oligarchs racing up the A12 in the last few years.”

On why he has chosen now to speak publicly on camera for the first time, he said: “I always thought it was really important that my being involved was certainly not about me in any way, it’s about the football side of the club and I’ve always tried to leave it like that, that the managers do the talking.

“But over this season, I think the circumstances have become different and it’s become clear to me that the fans really want to know where their club was going and I just felt the time was right now for me to have this interview.”

As least they know what he looks like now and what he sounds like lol although there''s been loads of pictures of him floating around

That is quite a selective precis which makes no mention of his comments on how the club is used for tax avoidence

you would thing a business man like him would want the team to do well make a real success of it

he does not need the 5% or what ever they pay him why wreck a football club if you own it ?

really have to thank our lucky stars we do not have anyone like that here dragging to club down to its last bones

also proves you need someone with money but who is willing to spend it he is far richer than Delia but just uses it to make himself money

[quote user="Bigears"]That is quite a selective precis which makes no mention of his comments on how the club is used for tax avoidence[/quote]I can helpfully add what he says when asked if he is using the club as a some kind of write-off against  tax:"I suppsoe everyone thinks there must be some method to my madness in terms of the spending. Unfortunately that just isn''t the case. That has never been part of the strategy. As far as a tax loss is concerned, as with any business, a loss can be offset against profits elsewhere in a group, but from a financial perspective, in the scheme of things, that means very little."

Exactly Purple i do not really understand why own a football club and run it into the ground would be better to invest some money build it up and have some fun and success

the wealth he has already earning 5% etc is very little to what he could earn if they had some success

strange man

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Exactly Purple i do not really understand why own a football club and run it into the ground would be better to invest some money build it up and have some fun and success

the wealth he has already earning 5% etc is very little to what he could earn if they had some success

strange man[/quote]I don''t know (or care!) nearly enough about Ipswich Town''s finances to make a judgment. But the question that should have been asked of Evans was whether he would be willing to write off the 89m or whatever it is he is owed if there was a takeover offer. Or would insist on being repaid. Bearing in mind, as another poster already pointed out, his comment, which rather flies in the face of received wisdom here about myriad potential buyers for Norwich City, that he has so far hardly been inundated with offers from Asia, or anywhere.

If ever an inundating myriad of potential buyers from Asia (or anywhere) ever considered an offer for our club. Our current majority shareholders wouldn''t have to contemplate or be willing to write off any debt at NCFC (or their loans to NCFC for that matter).....That''s because we''re a ''well run'' debt free club, and the loans to our majority shareholding duo have since been repaid.....

I don''t know what the financial future holds when Nephew Tom takes over the reins though?.....

Going by that it would seem our current majority shareholders have done a good job. Far better in fact than that potential Asian buyer who chose QPR....

[quote user="norfolkngood"]you would thing a business man like him would want the team to do well make a real success of it

he does not need the 5% or what ever they pay him why wreck a football club if you own it ?

really have to thank our lucky stars we do not have anyone like that here dragging to club down to its last bones

also proves you need someone with money but who is willing to spend it he is far richer than Delia but just uses it to make himself money[/quote]

I’m not sure it’s entirely true. He doesn’t see the point spending another 15-20m as it doesn’t guarantee promotion. There’s plenty of other clubs doing just that and they’re still in the same division.

In reality, you’re owners are doing the exact same model. This summer you’ll sell off your best player(s) again to cover the shortfall in your budget.

They’ll be replaced by youth players or cheap Germans which is effectively how we’re operating without the need to sell anyone as our owner covers the short fall each season. You lot just need to hope that every year you have someone of value to sell as your owner doesn’t have the money to do that.

Nutty i agree Delia has done well to run the club with little or no Debt we own everything and she has done very well on that side of things sacking managers etc is another story but on the debt side it has been very good

But now we find ourselves in a position where we need to invest and push on to stop the slide and she can not do that and it is going to get worse when Tom takes over has he No Wealth

its not just running the club debt free ( which is hard i know ) we need someone now to put money into the club to allow it to grow

""I suppsoe everyone thinks there must be some method to my madness in

terms of the spending. Unfortunately that just isn''t the case. That has

never been part of the strategy. As far as a tax loss is concerned, as

with any business, a loss can be offset against profits elsewhere in a

group, but from a financial perspective, in the scheme of things, that

means very little."
" (thanks purple)So, that is being done. Something the binners have shrieked in outrage and denial whenever it was raised.And conveniently there was no mention of why he had ''made off'' with the club''s training ground. If he was happy to fund the paupers to the tune of £6m a year as they claim then why the need to take that asset ?

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Evans showing his face after several years.

Not seen Delia talk to the fans for years - unless to a mate at the Times.[/quote]I don''t think that''s fair, she will talk to anyone at home & away games, I''ve seen her take the time to talk to fans on several occaisions.She''s also been to the Fans Social nights, even joined in a game of giant Jenga.

[quote user="King Keano"][quote user="norfolkngood"]you would thing a business man like him would want the team to do well make a real success of it

also proves you need someone with money but who is willing to spend it he is far richer than Delia but just uses it to make himself money[/quote]

I’m not sure it’s entirely true. He doesn’t see the point spending another 15-20m as it doesn’t guarantee promotion. There’s plenty of other clubs doing just that and they’re still in the same division.

In reality, you’re owners are doing the exact same model. This summer you’ll sell off your best player(s) again to cover the shortfall in your budget.

They’ll be replaced by youth players or cheap Germans which is effectively how we’re operating without the need to sell anyone as our owner covers the short fall each season. You lot just need to hope that every year you have someone of value to sell as your owner doesn’t have the money to do that.[/quote]
You mustn''t confuse ''not having to sell'' with ''having no one worth selling''.
Whenever you''ve had a player of vague ability under Evans you''ve sold them. The reality is there''s no one offering millions for any of your players.
Also if you bother to work it out, the £6 million he''s putting in every year is basically what we get more than you from gate receipts.

Norfolk, the same posters have been saying the same things since I''ve been posting on this board. It''s always been the same mantra. Delias done good up to now but we need a Marcus Evans to kick on. We need a milan mandaric to kick on. We need a Fernandez to kick on. Will they finally be right? Even though if we''d got any of those we wouldn''t be in the position we are now. What makes you so sure this time is different?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="King Keano"][quote user="norfolkngood"]you would thing a business man like him would want the team to do well make a real success of it

They’ll be replaced by youth players or cheap Germans which is effectively how we’re operating without the need to sell anyone as our owner covers the short fall each season. You lot just need to hope that every year you have someone of value to sell as your owner doesn’t have the money to do that.[/quote]
You mustn''t confuse ''not having to sell'' with ''having no one worth selling''.
Whenever you''ve had a player of vague ability under Evans you''ve sold them. The reality is there''s no one offering millions for any of your players.
Also if you bother to work it out, the £6 million he''s putting in every year is basically what we get more than you from gate receipts.
[/quote]

It’s been widely documented that you will NEED to sell again this year.

You’ll also be funding Cat 1 academy. The money will need to come from somewhere.

After Maddison, there is no one of any real value worth selling is there? You may churn a few off but it’s debatable as to how much you’d get for them & we could also churn off a few that may also be worth something in today’s market. Waghorn of course has scored more goals/assists than Maddison has this season so you’d think he’s worth a few quid in today’s market?

"It’s been widely documented that you will NEED to sell again this year.

You’ll also be funding Cat 1 academy. The money will need to come from somewhere.

After Maddison, there is no one of any real value worth selling is

there? You may churn a few off but it’s debatable as to how much you’d

get for them & we could also churn off a few that may also be worth

something in today’s market. Waghorn of course has scored more

goals/assists than Maddison has this season so you’d think he’s worth a

few quid in today’s market?"Or unlike you incompetent thieves NCFC is run so as to meet it''s budgets and pay it''s way.There is no "widely documented" stuff, just Phil Ham spouting his usual bin nonsense.As to the value of any City players I would think that Murphy, Pinto, Klose, Oliveira, Hanley and Lewis could pull in around £20-£30m, if only based on their original cost. So go back to your farm yard and stop filling your silly little head with binmanish shyte.

[quote user="Bigears"]"It’s been widely documented that you will NEED to sell again this year.

After Maddison, there is no one of any real value worth selling is

there? You may churn a few off but it’s debatable as to how much you’d

get for them & we could also churn off a few that may also be worth

something in today’s market. Waghorn of course has scored more

goals/assists than Maddison has this season so you’d think he’s worth a

few quid in today’s market?"Or unlike you incompetent thieves NCFC is run so as to meet it''s budgets and pay it''s way.There is no "widely documented" stuff, just Phil Ham spouting his usual bin nonsense.As to the value of any City players I would think that Murphy, Pinto, Klose, Oliveira, Hanley and Lewis could pull in around £20-£30m, if only based on their original cost. So go back to your farm yard and stop filling your silly little head with binmanish shyte.[/quote]

Norwich is run to meet its budgets? Didn’t you just ask fans for 3-5m to fund your academy?

It’s a slippery slope without PL money....

[quote user="King Keano"] Norwich is run to meet its budgets? Didn’t you just ask fans for 3-5m to fund your academy?

It’s a slippery slope without PL money....[/quote]
Well, you would be the experts in that I suppose. 
*cough* 16 years.