Sign in to follow this  
Thisisbabyish

Free Goalkeepers

Trying to find a centre forward capable of scoring the goals we need on a free, while not impossible, the odds are heavily stacked against us.

Finding a goal keeper, which we are also desperate for, on a free might not be that difficult. Here''s a list of PL goalies out of contract, must be a few Italian, German, Spanish and French frees worth looking at.

Wayne Hennessey, Tim Krul, Michel Vorm, Joel Robles, Ben Hamer, Jakob Haugaard, Rob Green 😉 any others worth a look?

Save the pennies for a goal scorer IMO 💚💛

One of my best mates supports Palace and constantly says Hennessey is on of the worst keepers he''s ever seen.

Stick with Remi, if McGovern goes get some experience in on a free and we''ll hopefully be fine. As you say, the money is needed further up the pitch.

[quote user="king canary"]One of my best mates supports Palace and constantly says Hennessey is on of the worst keepers he''s ever seen.

Stick with Remi, if McGovern goes get some experience in on a free and we''ll hopefully be fine. As you say, the money is needed further up the pitch.[/quote]
Money needs to be spent on a striker or two, but the goalkeeper is the most crucial player in the team. Like most fans, it seems, I have no idea about Matthews, but McGovern is not good enough to be the starter.

McGovern is probably at a similar level to those goalkeepers mentioned, unless he''s leaving I see no point in signing one of those.

[quote user="Feel The Force"]... for Farke’s style of football[/quote]
He''s clearly just not good with his feet, as he can''t seem to use them to find the exit door.

I can''t see how people can say ''give Remi a chance!'' without having seen him play at this level. I''m all for it if the coaches decide he''s good enough but it''s entirely possible they deem him not good enough - in which case we need more than, for example, Mcgovern.

Angus Gunn hadn''t played a first-team game until he came here. Remi Matthews has several seasons playing at a better level than Gunn had been, with good reports, so I think we can give him a go.

@Hoegsar

You''re of course right, the coaches have to asses him and see if they think he''s a fit.

I can only go on what I know which is...

1) He''s reportedly played very well at SPL and League One level

2) We will have a limited budget to spend this summer with a few holes to fill so using a player we already own rather than spending more on someone new makes sense.

3) The key to being sustainable is going to be generating our own players that we can sell further down the line. Playing Matthews gives us that chance.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Angus Gunn hadn''t played a first-team game until he came here. Remi Matthews has several seasons playing at a better level than Gunn had been, with good reports, so I think we can give him a go.[/quote]
That begs the question why did we sign the novice Gunn then ?

@king

All three good valid points. I certainly hope he is good enough as like you say, having to spend some of our limited budget on a goalkeeper wont feel like a great signing. Especially with Gunn doing well this season so it almost doesnt feel like it''s a position we need to worry about, if that makes any sense!

[quote user="hogesar"]I can''t see how people can say ''give Remi a chance!'' without having seen him play at this level. I''m all for it if the coaches decide he''s good enough but it''s entirely possible they deem him not good enough - in which case we need more than, for example, Mcgovern.[/quote]

I would say that Remi has had more favourable reports and argueably more experience than Gunn had prior to him coming here.