Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

McKenzie injured - replacement? Isn't it obvious?

PAUL McVEIGh for god''s sake. The guy was a legend, our very own Michael Owen. Then Worthy bought in a whole heap of strikers and shoved macca out on the flanks and he hasn''t been the same since. Amazed he''s still here.
THIS is his big chance to reignite his career. It''s his best and in my opinion only position and Deano would be his perfect partner just as Iwan was. If Worthy doesn''t give him this chance that he surely deserves then i will join the ranks calling for the manager''s head. And for me, that is saying something!

i think if he comes through the reserve teams game ok ryan jarvis deserves his chance.the lads done nothing wrong as far as i can see and scored a quality goal last season against liverpool . if not,then squiz would be my next choice then one of the kids,then docherty.

Quite right A1. In fact it probably would''ve made sense to have him replace Leon before.

People seem to have forgotten the quality of the goals he''s stuck in for us. We could do with a bit of his unpredictability in the team too. I can even recall Worthy singing his praises that he was "capable of producing a bit of magic from nothing - that''s the kind of player he is"

Just what we require I''d have thought.

Could''nt agree more the man is a legend in Iwan''s words "when he plays we play". Stick him up front the Ashton NOW!!!!! However i don''t think Worthington has ever found a place for him and Huckerby in the same side which is a real shame - as I think they could be our Henry and Pires killing teams down the left.

I also feel a bit for Jarvis though not much as Mcveigh he should have been put in the team after that Strike against Liverpool but he was on the bench again though I hate to say it it''s typically Worthington. Skill and Flair are never chosen over hard work and athletic ability

I too agree A1, Mcveigh is quality, just watch the season we go up again and the amazing goals he stuck in. If our "big boys" can''t cut it then give him a go. If he''s getting chosen behind doherty..."shudders"...

His replacement is obvious -  Huckerby!

And put McSmall in on the left, they can interchange and it would be a wonderful sight to behold.

Sadly too much creativity for Nigel I fear, and not enough marathon running skills.

I think Little Mac and Ashton could be quite a handful. And his touch is a lot surer than Leon''s. My only concern is that Little Mac gets shoved off the ball quite easily.

Huckerby is becoming part of the problem, not the solution, but that might be down to Worthy''s instructions. Keep him on the left, supplying crosses and cutting in, what he does best. He aint no striker, that''s for sure. Some nice intelligent stuff from him, Ashton and Little Mac might work wonders...

Yes Mcveigh for me too,

I never understood why he was ever dropped out in the first place, perhaps it was his hanging out with the infamous and now departed Mulryne.

I''d be happy to see WLY in the starting line-up, but Jarvis probably figures more in Worthy''s long term plans and it''s seems bizarre how little chance he''s had to cement a place in the team. Of course the same could be said for poor old Hendo....

having watched McVeigh in the reserves for the past season or so, i could see why he had been dropped.
dont get me wrong, when he played well the whole team played well.
the only problem is that he only played well about 1 game in 10.
i think he should be given his chance when he proves he can be more consistant.
a player of his supposed quality should be able to play well in the reserves surely!
so paul should work hard and train hard, and only then i feel he should be given his chance.
should we put him in? if he is on form, he would catapault this team back to winning ways. but if he is off form, the 1st teams form will carry on as it is, drawing at best.
is it worth the risk?
why not play the 2 wingers in chelseas role. this would then accomodate safri jarrot and hughes in midfield, something worthy has failed at.
deano up front with marney and brennan just behind him?
your call........

My my, what a short memory. One good game in 10? That''s just not true.

He was THE top player from 2001 to 2003, and only when the loan signings arrived and he got moved from pillar to post did he start to not play so well.

It just shows that playing players out of position can badly affect their form and their career.

[quote]My my, what a short memory. One good game in 10? That''s just not true. He was THE top player from 2001 to 2003, and only when the loan signings arrived and he got moved from pillar to post did he sta...[/quote]

Completely agree, it appears that 2002-03 season is the ''forgotten season'' with many fans. He finished top scorer whilst playing up front and if i remember rightly, scored some cracking goals that season.

I hope he starts up front on Saturday.

i may have come across wrong
what i meant was he plays 1 good game in 10 for the reserves!
how can you play a player in this form?
how can you play a player based on his form of 4 years ago?
when he''s on form, he is awesome!
when he''s not, hes near to useless.
if he can play awesome every game, even 9 games out of 10, i would love to have him in the team.
but he needs to prove he can do that!

Ok lifelong, I see your point.

But this is my big beef with Worthy. If you were Paul McVeigh and knew you were a great player, AND you had proved it in the past AND you weren''t doing anything wrong, why should you be in the reserves anyway?

McV was (and hopefully still is) one of our biggest talents. He has skill, touch, passing and most of all - creativity. If that has been wasted because of a Nigel Worthington "bench treatment" punishment then what a sad waste of a great player.

He may be inconsistent, but perhaps that has something to do with playing in the reserves every week.... I don''t think MacKenzie''s done much to hold his place down either really, but he''s played every game.

Worthy admitted WLY''d worked hard over the summer and in training. Surely he deserves more than a couple of minutes as sub.

He popped a goal in for the reserves last night (as did Hendo), so might that be enough?

I totally agree Mook, Worthy has wasted talent. McVeigh wasnt the 1st, and certainly not be the last!
Im just saying what i have seen in the reserves.
I dont think he should start on Saturday but should definatly be on the bench!
Worthy should give him a half!
Let him prove he can play at this level. (i know a half isnt that long but its a start)

And McKenzie no playing well????????????????
giving 100% every game, chasing every ball down even when he hasnt got much chance of getting it.
Playing like this when we tried to sign a replacement for him even when he did nothing wrong!
He deserves his place, maybe he hasnt hit the target as much as he should, but is still worthy of his place. Keeping him in is one of Worthy''s god decisions (he doesnt make them that often!)

McVeigh or Jarvis would both offer more than Leon up front at the moment. A shame but this injury may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise, a bit like how the injury to Llewelyn in 2001/2 first led to McVeigh getting a game on the left of midfield that season, and coinciding with a turn around in fortunes. I also agree with an earlier poster that that the Huckerby McVeigh combination, interchanging down the left hand side- with Drury or Brennan overlapping behind them looks potentially very creative.

Only concern though, is McVeigh still fit enough? He looked a bit heavier, in Mulryne fashion, against MK, although this could be my imagination. He may well have become very disillusioned with life in the reserves over the last 18 months or so, as someone else suggested earlier.

Jarvis also though could be a very interesting possibility. Definitely a better footballer than Leon, even if not as quick or experienced. Also, if he doesn''t break into the team this season, we may end up losing him altogether, which could be extremely short-sighted.

Without Hux and Leon, the selection for Saturday is going to tell us a lot about Worthington''s long term thinking. Could also tell us a lot about his long term survival chances...

McVeigh provides a very tough question.

He wasn''t altogether dropped from being played upfront the season after his heroics but he failed to re-invent himself.

As a striker you can not afford to become too predictable otherwise you become easy to mark. And I would not class McVeigh as a an out and out striker that provides presence throughout a game.

McKenzie has a bucket load of pace which allways keeps the oppositions defence on their toes and although he doesnt score as many as we would like he does contribute into focing errors for us to capatilise on.

McVeigh is one player who is more likely to capitalise on those errors rather than pressurising the deffence into making them. However I think he is defenitely an option as a withdrawn striker playing in behind Ashton - perhaps he would even work as an attacking central midfield player.

However, Henderson is defenitely another player that deserves a mention. He scores for England and our reserves and is yet to get a run upfront in his actual role. Both players deserve their chances to prove themselves at some point this season.

As for Jarvis, he defenitely could be a quality player but I am not going to get to carried away with things as I have seen the hype behind players in the past that were ahead of their age but never progressed. Llewelyn and Coote are two prime examples of this I remember the fuss about Coote being the next Iwan Roberts - what an insult!

I think we will see one of the bit part lads given a chance on saturday should it need be. Otherwise we could always play Charly at left back, push Brennan up on the wing and have Ahston and Huckerby wam in the goals upfront.

I shall see you all at the game on Saturday, I am taking my Chelski supporting girlfriend to the wonderful stadium for the first time this weekend. Hopefully she will experience a good display of football along with how to support your team although the latter rather than the first is increasingly more questionable!

OTBC!

P.s. I havent bought the pinkun in a while but do they still do the fans reviews after matches?