Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

FA Cup Final or Royal Wedding?

I booed both all the way through.....
And as for Charlie giving her away......
I''d like to give ''em all away. [:''(]

I watched the FA Cup final (sort of) but it was pretty dull.

Couldn''t pay me enough to even glance at the ''royal'' wedding. Harry is probably the ''royal'' I find least offensive as at least he is an actual human, rather than a robot like the rest of them. He had the balls to actually go to the frontline when he served rather than ponsing around pretending to be doing something productive whilst secretly spending over 100k of taxpayer money to use military helicopters for personal visits to see his missus like William did.

It doesnt change the fact that the whole premise of having a monarchy means you acquiesce to the principle that some people are born ''better'' than others though. I wish them no ill because Harry and Megan at least seem to be real people but I resent the fact we as taxpayers, now have another mouth to feed on the saxe-coburg-gotha gravy train.

Time for a republic. There''s no place in modern society for the scrounging ''royals''.

I couldn''t help noticing that the best man chappie bears a strong resemblance to a young King Juan Carlos of Spain

[quote user="Rock the Boat"]Blair for President![/quote]
Each to their own RTB, wouldn''t be my choice, or anything close to it, but if that''s who you admire as a leader then good luck to you.

Because the choice is monarchy or trump? What an asinine comment. Of course no other countries have successful democracies without a monarchy do they?

Not to mention the idiocy of thinking the electoral college is a ''pure'' democracy. The same ''pure'' democracy that makes people president for getting less votes than the other candidate in a two horse race?

It''s obvious that neppostism Charles doesn''t have the money needed to move the Monarchy onto the next level.
The Queen out stinking rich Chinese investor in. [:D]

Totally agree with KIO. And wunderboy, I’d move to Florida in a heartbeat if it were that easy.

In any society there are always going to be those in a better position than others and who won''t have deserved it.  I think that on balance the monarchy is a good thing. The history and tradition is important and the way they are figureheads and don''t have any real power gives the country a stability and character that is special. 
Could they have less money and be curtailed financially a bit? No doubt they could, but that is about the scale of what they get, not about their very existence.  There is no perfect society and imo we are lucky to have them - they are moving forwards as time moves on, they are more of the people than ever - William and Harry are brilliant ambassadors for what the country is all about, the way they support the services and charties is exemplary and inspirational.   
Governments come and go, but in our country there is always a king or queen - and in our queen we have a special special lady who has been at the heart of our country since the second world war, where her and her parents were an inspiration to a nation. If you go back to the first world war, our royal family were active in getting to the front line, giving inspiration to everyone out there. Time to get rid would be if they failed in their duty, like other royal families in some other countries and who have lost their position - but as long as they are out there doing good, representing the nation across the world, helping the cause of peace, of helping trade, of helping poorer people and inspiring others, then they are a good thing.
It is easy to say get rid - it''s like wantng to get rid of Delia and MJW. Easy to say, but what you replace them with may not be any better or could be exceedingly worse. 
As for yesterday, the spectacle and tradition on display at Windsor, was far more uplifting than seeing two football teams where teamwork and togetherness seemed to be totally missing.  Too much money in football at the very top level has ruined it.  Maybe we should ban football too.....  

I don’t get the fawning over an old lady and her family who screws money out of less wealthier people. The way some idolise her is at times disturbing and definitely cringeworthy.

Anyway, enough about Delia Smith.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Rock the Boat"]Blair for President![/quote]
Each to their own RTB, wouldn''t be my choice, or anything close to it, but if that''s who you admire as a leader then good luck to you.
[/quote]

Joking aside, the question to me is what do you want a Head of State to do, and secondly we seem to have accumulated over the years more than a HoS.

Like the HoL maybe it''s time for a cleanup.

Like r

I do wish good fortune, to those who live and dream of a glorious Utopia......

Me? Politics, religion, inner fire, ire, anger and angst - can just take a back seat.....

I''m just gonna have a bacon & runny egg doorstep cut homemade bread sarnie with (it''s a manwich) brown sauce for brekkie. I''ll wash it down with a big mug o'' strong builder''s tea.....Then it''s a shave, $hit an'' shower then off out with my dog for a good long stroll for over an hour or so, then come home and assist the better half in preparing a roast for later. Then I''ll relax and read a good novel.....I can''t have a Utopia......But, it''s the next best thing......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I do wish good fortune, to those who live and dream of a glorious Utopia......

Me? Politics, religion, inner fire, ire, anger and angst - can just take a back seat.....

I''m just gonna have a bacon & runny egg doorstep cut homemade bread sarnie with (it''s a manwich) brown sauce for brekkie. I''ll wash it down with a big mug o'' strong builder''s tea.....Then it''s a shave, $hit an'' shower then off out with my dog for a good long stroll for over an hour or so, then come home and assist the better half in preparing a roast for later. Then I''ll relax and read a good novel.....I can''t have a Utopia......But, it''s the next best thing......[/quote]Agreed. I can''t say the argument for or against royalty energises me very much but an unelected figurehead with no real political power and a hat tip to history and continuity seems to be as good a solution as any. The Presidential position usually comes from a political background so whoever is elected seldom has the goodwill of more than half the electorate and is merely tolerated by the other half. Looking round the world I can''t see much I''d want us to emulate.Our system seems to have worked well enough over time and has the support of the vast majority. It may change but as always what we gain on the swings we will lose on the roundabout.OTBC, God save the Queen[:D]

I kind of agree with Ricardo. I''m not uncomfortable with our current monarchy as a head of state/figurehead and with the news kids on the block, it seems more up to date and moving with the times. And currently, they seem to be trying to unify the country far more than our politicians are. God save the status quo.
As to the FA Cup. What a bore fest that has become. Even with City never being there, it was always a big day. Now it''s just another game of expensive but ordinary teams. Yawn!!!

[quote user="lake district canary"]
In any society there are always going to be those in a better position than others and who won''t have deserved it.  I think that on balance the monarchy is a good thing. The history and tradition is important and the way they are figureheads and don''t have any real power gives the country a stability and character that is special. 
Could they have less money and be curtailed financially a bit? No doubt they could, but that is about the scale of what they get, not about their very existence.  There is no perfect society and imo we are lucky to have them - they are moving forwards as time moves on, they are more of the people than ever - William and Harry are brilliant ambassadors for what the country is all about, the way they support the services and charties is exemplary and inspirational.   
Governments come and go, but in our country there is always a king or queen - and in our queen we have a special special lady who has been at the heart of our country since the second world war, where her and her parents were an inspiration to a nation. If you go back to the first world war, our royal family were active in getting to the front line, giving inspiration to everyone out there. Time to get rid would be if they failed in their duty, like other royal families in some other countries and who have lost their position - but as long as they are out there doing good, representing the nation across the world, helping the cause of peace, of helping trade, of helping poorer people and inspiring others, then they are a good thing.
It is easy to say get rid - it''s like wantng to get rid of Delia and MJW. Easy to say, but what you replace them with may not be any better or could be exceedingly worse. 
As for yesterday, the spectacle and tradition on display at Windsor, was far more uplifting than seeing two football teams where teamwork and togetherness seemed to be totally missing.  Too much money in football at the very top level has ruined it.  Maybe we should ban football too.....  
[/quote]
I generally disagree. But it is well-argued, and nicely written.

I''m broadly with Ricardo and Herman.

Yesterday had the same spirit as the Olympics - a welcoming, optimistic and outward looking country putting on a real show.

Hasn''t felt like that generally since 23rd June 16.

LDC - I also largely disagree but think you put your point across very eloquently.
My point wasn''t about them being better off, it was about them being "better" from birth. They are royalty, we are commoners. I don''t have a problem with them existing as an institution - I don''t like it but I appreciate that''s probably the minority view - sizeable minority these days, but minority nonetheless. 
My real problem lies with paying £370 million to refurbish Buckingham Palace from the taxpayers purse when we FOUR MILLION children living in poverty. How does any reasonable human being justify that? Why are we now paying over £45 million per year to support one family yet there are more families across the country using food banks than ever before? 
The Tories have savaged every public sector they can get their hands on, we''ve suffered through austerity, inflation has outstripped wages, yet the queen''s income from the taxpayer purse has risen 57% in the last 5 years. The queen alone is worth 500 million. IF she is such a lovely, benevolent figurehead, I would have thought she would be happy to forego £45 million per year for a few years to support public services and the "commoners" in such times of hardship for many, but no, she happily grabbed a huge raise whilst everybody else suffered. She has raised more for charities than any other monarch - £1.4 billion. However we could have given far more than that to charities by just not having a monarchy and giving them the funds directly.
I understand and respect your point of view, but I almost entirely disagree with it. If the royal family stopped milking the country then I doubt many would have a problem with it, but they literally are paid, by us, to be born, never have to do a proper job etc, etc. Yes William and Harry served - but William never did any real service anyway, he just mucked about showing off his helicopter skills to Kate and her parents, landing it at their home (at a cost to us of over £30,000 for that one afternoon - I personally would rather spend that on an extra nurse/doctor/teacher than William''s ego to be honest). Harry actually did proper service, not some fluffed up pretending.

Naughty William mucking about on a training excercise in wokka wokka helicopters.....I reckon Willy also mucked about flying for fun in them there waste of space Air Ambulance choppers - and he was probably a financial waste of an Air Sea Rescue Sea King pilot as well......Wasting our tax payers money......Harumph!......

Does Willy''s Royal Chopper stay up longer?.....Now, that is a hard one....?......Kate will know........

I do hope the veins on your neck and forehead aren''t bulging KIO.....So much angst......

[quote user="kick it off"]Because the choice is monarchy or trump? What an asinine comment. Of course no other countries have successful democracies without a monarchy do they?[/quote]
Monarchies suck. I miss the good old days of Stalin and Mao.

If Commie Corbyn and Marxist McDonnell have their way that''s what we might end up with. Thank God our armed forces owe their allegiance to the Crown and not these bl**dy politicians.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]
[quote user="kick it off"]Because the choice is monarchy or trump? What an asinine comment. Of course no other countries have successful democracies without a monarchy do they?[/quote]
Monarchies suck. I miss the good old days of Stalin and Mao.
[/quote]
Yeah, good job the monarchy are so righteous. I can''t imagine why Russia got rid of theirs...  Good old Nicholas II was just sitting there minding his own business when the nasty commoners got feisty for no reason whatsoever... and in more modern times, what about the delightful monarchy in the Middle East - the House of Saud doing such a wonderful job of upholding human rights and decency.... Our own queen is on film as a child giving a nazi salute which shows how brilliant the judgement of the monarchs is (I''m not blaming her for it, but she was encouraged to participate by Edward VIII, a former king).
If you want to trade lunacy and banal points then that''s fine, the concept of monarchy has equal share of blood on it''s collective hands, but I''d prefer to stick to more sensible debate rather than making nonsense points about not having a monarchy meaning we are stuck with Trump or equivalents of Stalin and Mao. It''s pretty easy to trade tit for tat on it (as demonstrated above), but it steers the debate well away from any sensible dialogue. 
There are many countries which have democracy, no monarch, and no murderous regime in charge - let''s not pretend the queen is the thing that stops us from having a genocidal maniac at the helm of the country. If we''d put Stalin, or Mao or Hitler, or any other despot you care to name in charge of the country, then rather than them having to give up because of sheer terror of the monarchy, the most likely outcome is a high profile anti-royal propaganda campaign, followed by a one way trip to the caves for the "Windsors" (Saxe-Coburg-Gothas).

There should have been some jousting and archery for the peasants.

Nothing against the Monarchy. But I refuse to bow to them.

They came to a place I was working in the 90''s. All the staff were told to wear something smart and what to say if spoken to.

I wore my regular clothes and when some ancient old duffer in a feathered hat and a sword on his hip came up to me while I was printing and said, "That looks like jolly good fun" I politely ignored him.

The same with celebs and so called VIP''s. I know they exist but would rather they didn''t.

I used to admire Beckham but now he is everywhere like seagull shite.

The £30M the state spent would have been better spent on all the damn potholes around Windsor.

Worked in the garden for the Wedding and watched a very boring Cup Final which just amplified the disdain that particular trophy is held in. Lots of false celebrations at the end and the ManU fans couldn''t be bothered to wait for their team to get their medals. Which seemed strange as so many of them live in or near London.