Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Striker rumour (guess where he's from ...)

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-keen-on-holstein-kiel-striker-marvin-ducksch-1-5527739

And so it begins.

Seems to have a bit more pedigree than Srebeny.

We do need to keep the home grown quota in mind though- with Gunn and Reed both leaving we''ve lost two more that meet the criteria.

Lets hope not, after all it''s not like Germany have that great a history when it comes to producing decent forwards.
I suppose there was Gerd Muller.
Of course you could possibly include Klinsmann, Seeler, Rossler, Rummenigge, Kuntz, Gomez and Heynckes.
Oh and maybe Voller, Kießling and Dieter Muller.
And that Klose fella was OK I suppose.
But other than that what have Germany actually done when it comes to producing decent footballers? I mean England did beat them in a World Cup final once.
I miss Cody MacDonald.

Leeds were after him during the last window.

Should have added:

DISCLAIMER

I don''t give a flying fragment of flatulence where he''s from, so long as it works out here (if he comes).

Incidentally, Marvin appeared on a wish list poll of Leeds'' fans preferences. He was bottom.

interesting on home page said we were 3rd in creating chances but 24th in taken them

did we really create the 3rd most chances in the league ?? it didn''t look like it watching this style of play but if true i take back what i think of farke''s style of play and a decent striker would bring a lot more success

The breakout star in the breakout team in Bundesliga II. No one really expected them to finish so high as they had only just been promoted into the league and no one expected Ducksch to score so many (he was on loan from another team in the league who felt he wasn’t needed).

Whether he is ‘come good’ on early promise or just had a hot streak is an unknown really. Played with Leitner and Farke at Dortmund, played and scored in the Bundesliga but had to drop divisions to really make his mark.

Big guy, can hold onto the ball well. Similar in many ways to Oliveira in that he drops deep and like a long shot,- third of his 18 goals came from outside the box which is a pretty large percentage for a striker. Had a 13.5% conversion rate which is very so-so and missed a couple of pens as well. Takes a good free kick apparently so might replace Maddison for that duty.

Would be a gamble as he doesn’t have a long track record of scoring, but Norwich need to make gambles.

As an aside, you may have seen photos from his signing for St Pauli as it went viral due to the team manager being unable to attend so another staff member took his place wearing a mask of the manager’s face.

Yes its bee a stat around the media for a few weeks Norfolk. A staggering one. Ad shows how utterly ineffective / unlucky we have been. The former mostly.

The Ducksch rumour is also a few days old. Apparently he is very good and has interested more clubs than Leeds. We would be very lucky if we secured his services (son watched him many times in Germany). Yet intimated on Deutsche Welle (according to Fans Facebook post) we were close to agreeing terms. I don''t tend to post such rumours. But now its hit the mainstream media, i can add my tuppence.

I suppose it depends what is defined as a ''chance'' but it would be interesting to see if they (generally) increased as the season progressed (which would be my guess).

I reiterate that I think genuine progress was made & that our tempo got quicker as the season went on. There were hiccups - losing Pritchard didn''t help, & injuries always occurred just as things were looking up.

It would be interesting to see the first Fulham game again; I had the impression that we attacked really well, Wildschut had a bit of a stormer & did several excellent cut backs to Watkins, who shot well but straight at their keeper. Thereafter we went backwards (particularly defensively) until Tettey was introduced to shore things up.

With regards to us creating chances... A friend passed some stats to me and we were actually SECOND for creating chances at home. So, I imagine third was overall when you include away games too.Pretty crazy and proves that we weren''t quite as dire as many think.Interestingly too, at home, we were about fifth in possesion stats so this whole idea that all we did was pass backwards and sideways is a bit of a myth.

A chance is basically a shot so I''d argue all it really shows is how poor the level of chances we created are.

Take the Burton home game for instance. 18 ''chances'' yet I don''t really think we came close to scoring.

And 20 shots in Sheff Wed game. We took 1. They had 12 shots, scored 5.

Norwich had the 3rd most shots in the league. Which some data providers classify as chances. However Norwich took a very large proportion of shot outside the box think they are 4th lowest for shots inside the six yard box - also had the 2nd lowest conversion for shots in 6 yard box (15%). For shots outside the box Norwich scored a meagre 3% of them (4th worst). Ipswich has the best conversion rate for shots outside the box, scoring 6% of them.

Basically Norwich made a lot of speculative shots and struggled to create good shooting opportunities and when they did had poor conversion rates.

Many of those speculative shots were either Oliveira sky shots or Josh being greedy at times. Yet, on this latter point, if we manage to keep him, Josh could easily be a Defoe type player at Champs level. And i would love seeing him score 20 goals.. He Has that potential.

Watching as I have done and seen most matches, the level of finishing has been dreadful, with the exception of Maddison.  It''s been like watching schoolboy football as far as finishing goes - shots way off target or just shooting at the wrong time when a better pass was on -poor decision making by two of our front players in particular - and just plain amatuerish looking.  
I would frankly sell Oliveira and Murphy on and imo any solid player from abroad with a decent technique and a sensible head on their shoulders will be preferable.  That may sound harsh, as they have both scored important goals, but not enough quality overall to make enough of a contribution through a whole season.  The odd wonder goal is not the answer to our problems - solid and reliable is what is needed.

In part it was due to them taking long shots but I''d also argue they often took those shots as we couldn''t break a team down and frustration led to them.

See where you''re coming from LDC but would keep Murphy. His time could yet be to come. Although as you say we need people to hit the ground running now. Really unsure that his brother was best served going to a Prem team and feel same about Josh. But money might talk yet.

Interesting that Hodgson said that you cannot play slick football to get out of Champs (bar Fulham, he added) but need more nous. Interesting to see what DF does next year, now he has seen how teams approach. I reckon he might stick with the same philosophy. If only we had had finishers last season, we would have threatened top 6.

We should have scored against Burton king. Didn''t we hit the post from a couple yards out?
Whilst we''re not as creative as some make out; we''re not terrible either. However the conversion of chances has been awful too which obviously to the everyday fan = not creating anything.

I think that is sometimes the case King Canary, but Murphy and Oliveira have always taken a lot of long shots, no matter who the manager or system being played. This season we’ve seen them both regularly shoot when there are other players in better positions. I’ve seen Murphy shoot from the centre circle when there are Norwich players ahead of him and the opposition goalie isn’t even off his line.

Pritchard also blatted in a lot of stupid shots in his brief time playing and Maddison wasn’t scared of a longneck pop. All these players have consistently shot from distance in their careers.

To be honest I think Murphy has been poor coached the more I watch him. His decision making is poor and he doesn’t play with his head up enough. Hopefully he can work these bad habits out of his game but they are harder to remove the older a player gets. I think it comes from being such a star player at youth level, he (along with Jacob) were tasked with winning games on their own, potentially to the detriment of developing a sense of teamwork. You often see this with players who excelled at a young age. I think Jacob ironed a lot of this out during his multiple loan spells.

I''m quite happy about this prospect.

Firstly, it indicates immediate action on the striker front.

Secondly, we are in a position where will will have to take a punt on an up-and-coming, either from our own lower leagues or abroad, and I''m not at all prejudiced as to his nationality.

Thirdly, Farke knows this boy and vice versa and that should mean a lot.

Finally, he seems to have developed into a bit of a hot shot and has excited interest from others, which is usually a good sign even though this was the case with RVW.

Finally, finally, he should be within our price range ... particularly if we get a bit of a wedge for everybody''s favourite, the one and only and very loveable Nelson Oliveira (aka: dickhead) and the mis-placed Marley Watkins.

Having little confidence in Dennis we will also need another up front.

Whilst aware of our youth prospects perhaps a loan from the PL might be worthwhile .... and in this respect I wouldn''t be averse to the return of the prodigal, one Lewis Grabban who impressed at Villa.

Is the Jordan Rhodes rumour finally scuppered? I wouldn''t mind him either.

If we unearth another Trybull, Zimmermann or Hernandez from Germany, I''ll be well happy

I think we need a player who has experience of playing in this league, but we can''t afford one from this country. Marriott at £5-7m is a lot of money and realistically we can''t afford Rhodes'' wages.

What I hope Farke has done is look at what we faced this year, how he wants to play and then try to find a striker that fits those needs. Trybull & Zimmermann didn''t settle in straight away, but grew into becoming good players.

He''s obviously not going to go for a big lump who we are going to hoof the ball to, but it''ll be interesting to see who we end up with.

I can''t quite follow the reasoning about not being able to afford a decent striker.

That just says we are going to buy someone less able.So what is the point.

If so many are confident about our progress, and I hope they are right, then surely it is worth spending a large chunk of our purchasing income on the one position that everyone agrees was full of shortcomings.

As it stands I don''t think many expect Oliveoil to stay
And I would suggest Sir Benny is not ''up to speed'' yet. A loan up till Jan 1st might be the best option.
We need someone up front like this ''me ducks'' chap and I would suggest a young PL striker.
Maddison has all too often made his own goals, rather than being the one in the right place to knock it in. He will be missed if he goes but any fee will vertainly allow us a fair bit of lee way in the market.
For all the predictable whining we are in a transition period. We''ve had to shift plyers off the wage bill while still remaining competitive.
However seeing that we have Godrey, Morris, Mathews, Cantwell returning and Maclean joining us I think most would think that good business, were the actual cost in fees to be measured.
This how the club is at the moment. There were plenty predicting L2 after the lose at home to Colchester in 2009, just as some talk of going straight down to L1 in 2014.
For me, I am enjoying seeing us work as a club, not some ''investors'' tax dodge and f we are not going fast enough there''s plenty of parachutes for you to jump plane, so to speak.

Yes Purple. But sadly the offer has been refused. Guess it depends if we are willing to up our offer or the club wishes to sell. Or if Ducksch wants to come to England. Lots of ifs.

[quote user="sonyc"]Yes Purple. But sadly the offer has been refused. Guess it depends if we are willing to up our offer or the club wishes to sell. Or if Ducksch wants to come to England. Lots of ifs.[/quote]
Thanks, sonyc. Arguably it would be worse news if the player had turned us down, although if it had come to that he might have done anyway. He is obviously going to be in demand. But if the stumbling-block is just the club we might be able to up the offer, to an extent, at least.

"Exclusive" tends to be Pink Un slang for "Stuart Webber told us" (unless there''s another highly credible source), and everything else tends to get the "Transfer Rumours" tag.

I''d have thought they were either close to signing him, or Webber wants to be linked to chasing him.

Could be decent but really hope that we are not going into next season with this lad & Srbeny as our main striking options. Need a proven striker at this level and need to spend some of the Maddison millions on achieving that....