Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Returning loanees

Which of them will be part of the first team squad next season ?
Godfrey - I would have thought as being '' nailed on''.
Morris - I''m not so certain.
Mathews - should be time for him to step up as first choice keeper
Cantwell - might need a bit more time
I would expect/hope that both Martin and Naismith will find permanent moves away, as should Wildschutt.
Franke - is an unknown and I''m not sure if he will be up to the ''rigours'' of the Championship
Phillips - will need to move up a bit (currently at Cambridge)

Agree apart from Morris he is not good enough the centre forward that does not score according to the Shrewsbury manager.

Matthews I have no idea if he is ready and if he is not then I would like to get the binners keeper he has been there player of the season for the last 3 years and is decent, and it would really **** off the binners.

Godfrey seems the most ready to step up but also the one with the biggest obstacle in getting into the first team now Tettey is coming back.

Morris on the flip side is the one I''m least confident of his ability yet has the easiest route to the first term.

Tettey won''t manage the fifty or so games coming up, and I suspect Pinto could be off in the summer as I doubt we will be able to offer him a further contract on what he is on now and so could walk next summer. Godfrey fits both roles.
Morris, I have expressed my doubts. Would live to be proved wrong.
Mathews I do think is up to it. He''s had a good season at Plymouth and I''m sure the club would have let him go by now if he was not progressing towards a first team place.
Though not a loanee I''m hoping Thompson can be ready to challenge, though it might mean spending the autumn out on loan so as to get ''up to speed''.

Make the returning and unwanted ''loanees'' pay to park in the UEA car park and then walk to Colney from there.....They''ll soon get the message they aren''t wanted.....Cruel to be kind an'' all that.....

Just listening to the Totally Football League Show Podcast preview of the L1 playoffs.

They made mention that Shrewsbury''s strikers haven''t scored many this season but then also went on to discuss how the system is more geared up to everyone contributing rather than lump it up top to the big guy banging them in. If so, then he might fit in fine in Farke''s system, assuming he can find the goal when in front of it and doesn''t sky it like Nelson is prone to doing.

I would have Godfrey Matthews and Morris on the first team squad this season, although their match time will vary.

I suspect we will be looking for Matthews to either start as the no 1. keeper or leave for good, suspect it will be the former.

For Godfrey I am expecting several starts rotating with Tettey as the main CDM, and many sub appearances after the 75th min.

I am not sure Morris is ready or good enough tbh; I would certainly not want to be going into the season with him as the main striking option - but I would be happy with him as the third of fourth striking option; rare starts outside the league cup but often an unused sub.

Phillips looks in need of a further loan perhaps until Jan, and that may apply to Cantwell as he returns from injury.

Franke is the curates egg - hung out to dry in those early days, on the wrong side of defence that had Martin instead of Hanley or Klose - in an unfamiliar and physical league(with hindsight) it seems he was almost predestined to fail - nothing was in his favour. Alongside 2 from Hanley Klose Zimmerman and to the right side of the cb choices he may be a better player than we have seen. I would be prepared to give him another shot. Having said that I do not expect him to seem in a canary shirt again.

I do not want to see any of the other 3 named players in the OP starting for us in a league game again.

Some interesting stuff on here on Godrey and Morris''s time at Shrewsbury.
Not sure if they thought that joining a relegation threatened club would see them playing at Wembley, never mind twice - so good luck on Sunday when the face Rotherham in the L1 play off final

Agree most the thoughts on there really, Godfrey and Matthews will definitely be in contention, Morris given our current striker options will probably be 3rd choice so largely limited to development squad but if he takes his chances in pre-season who knows.

Cantwell will be bit-part if he stays here, I could probably see him going on another loan somewhere for a full season perhaps like we did with Maddison, Godfrey, Matthews and Morris. But again, pre-season could be where he wins or loses the battle to be here.

Franke will be the interesting one, with Martin assumingly likely to be leaving it will hinge on whether we feel we need another player to make up the numbers. The view from Farke was that Franke is still very well rated and will be part of our squad so we''ll see. Let''s not forget that Godfrey can also play at CB.

Phillips is only back-up at this stage, so would assume a season on loan a bit higher up the football tier

We seem to have an abundance of promising youths coming up through the ranks and it portends well for the future.

I can''t ever remember a time when we had so many promising young players on the books. Somebody at the club is getting things right so it might not be all the doom and gloom, the reliance upon average foreign imports or a future of Championship mediocrity that many are predicting.

Because either this academy set-up is fructifying at a rate or we are kidding ourselves.

Most of these players are just names on a list to many of us, but good to excellent write ups excite our interest.

It seems to me that the future could be very good .... hoping I''m right about this.

I think it has become much more focussed, with the intent now being that players have to be brought through rather than it being a bonus if they did.
Going out on loan also looks like a make or break time. Players either come back ready to join the first team squad or are released, whereby a club further down the order will no doubt be doing what we are doing.
I''m not sure how clubs like York, Orient, Swindon, Luton, Coventry feel about us ''snaffling'' their best young prospects either. But I''m sure that it does make us a much more attractive proposition for young talent if we are seen as a club where their development will be at the heart of what we do.
And it should be understood as well that many of the players will not be ''ready'' for a few more seasons yet, and we will see a fair rate of churn as players come and go - but better that than seeing players like VOO, Fer, Brady, Pritchard who all too often seemed disinterested both on and off the pitch.
Seeing a squad that actually wants to play and enjoy being at City is still a fair compensation for not seeing the PL stars at CR.

Not a great deal of love on here for Carlton. I presume none of you have seen him play for the Shrews. Although not prolific but has been holding the ball up and looks as promising as either Nelson or Dennis. Has scored two very important goals in taking Shrews to Wembley and took both well. Carlton should be given a role in City''s attack next season maybe with one or two additions. A fox in the box from the lower leagues or German Div II could be added.

Who ever is given the opportunity unless ball gets forward quicker struggles will ensue is Farke capable ? to provide this I doubt it.

[quote user="pete"]Not a great deal of love on here for Carlton. I presume none of you have seen him play for the Shrews. Although not prolific but has been holding the ball up and looks as promising as either Nelson or Dennis. Has scored two very important goals in taking Shrews to Wembley and took both well. Carlton should be given a role in City''s attack next season maybe with one or two additions. A fox in the box from the lower leagues or German Div II could be added.

Who ever is given the opportunity unless ball gets forward quicker struggles will ensue is Farke capable ? to provide this I doubt it.[/quote]
Watching the latter games the team was getting the ball forward much earlier
I would expect this to continue