Sign in to follow this  
If wed only kept Howie..

Messageboard GDPR straw poll

When you get to your time of life just be grateful it pops up at all 

[quote user="Bigears"]When you get to your time of life just be grateful it pops up at all  [/quote]
Ha ha.  I''m not sure it does, I can''t remember![;)]

As aj says, you don''t actually have to accept to use the site. Instead of clicking the big obvious blue button click the show services below it, there you can opt in or out of things individually. I left them all as off and then click save and exit...

Too many people are making out like you have to accept to keep using their service, in most cases you don''t, they just dont make it easy/obvious how to say no.

Just moved over to the news section and the blue box appeared again
Took Sam''s advice and checked the options
I would suggest you opt out of the lot... especially the third party ones as there are one heck of a lot of companies that your info goes to
Begone says I (or words to that effect  )

[quote user="Herman"]Give them a chance, they''re still getting through Waveney''s accounts.
[/quote]You'' got to feel sorry for Waveney, all those pop ups and e-mails....
He''ll even get several from TWTD. [;)]

Personally I think the Pinkun should use this opportunity to winkle out some of those multiple accounts
Having all these different names popping up can be very confusing

[quote user="cornish sam"]As aj says, you don''t actually have to accept to use the site. Instead of clicking the big obvious blue button click the show services below it, there you can opt in or out of things individually. I left them all as off and then click save and exit...

Too many people are making out like you have to accept to keep using their service, in most cases you don''t, they just dont make it easy/obvious how to say no.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip Sam, I''ve turned everything off to off now, couldn''t believe the long list of third parties who have access to our data but they are all off now.

The question is what other sites have been happily passing on this stuff.
I understand your (Diane) concerns about having a membership list with this as it does seem to penalise folk like yourself who are not selling other folks souls (data) to the devil.
I wonder what will be the long term consequences given that this must impact of websites income.

Like the rest of the UK it just means that Archant use lawyers who don''t understand what the GDPR actually says. You don''t need any amendments or opt ins or anything else for clubs or societies (or messageboards etc) because by being a member you have already given all the permissions required, and there is no marketing to members.

A lot of "consultants" and bad lawyers are making a lot of money from people who can''t be bothered to read the actual regulations.

[quote user="sgncfc"]Like the rest of the UK it just means that Archant use lawyers who don''t understand what the GDPR actually says. You don''t need any amendments or opt ins or anything else for clubs or societies (or messageboards etc) because by being a member you have already given all the permissions required, and there is no marketing to members.

A lot of "consultants" and bad lawyers are making a lot of money from people who can''t be bothered to read the actual regulations.[/quote]
I''m not an expert but that''s not how I read it, so are you saying that the Bingo social club or the Cromer social club that I belong to where I filled in a form with my name address, phone number, email address, date of birth  can continue to  hold all my details and can continue to contact me about events & competitions, even though I haven''t given them permission to continue to do so ? 

[quote user="sgncfc"]Like the rest of the UK it just means that Archant use lawyers who don''t understand what the GDPR actually says. You don''t need any amendments or opt ins or anything else for clubs or societies (or messageboards etc) because by being a member you have already given all the permissions required, and there is no marketing to members.

A lot of "consultants" and bad lawyers are making a lot of money from people who can''t be bothered to read the actual regulations.[/quote]
I would beg to differ.The idea seems not so much about your consent as it does what the holder of your data is allowed to do with it - as this suggests

Who has to obey the new laws?

Every business, no matter how big or small, has to abide by the new

data protection laws – from media giants to landlords with just one

buy-to-let property.

Public services also need to implement it, as do firms operating from outside of the EU if they want to do business within it.

At the moment the Government intends to keep the new EU data laws after Brexit.

Correct. I''m a member of about 15 various message boards/forums on different topics and this is the only one where I have been asked to accept or agree to anything.
And it''s not like they hold any useful info about me.
An email address that I used in 2003 that is no longer in use, a

completely irrelevant user name, the fact that I live in N Walsham (which may or may not be true) the fact that my interests are football and music and that I''m retired.
Hardly enough data that would be of use to anyone.
And even though I have already clicked on accept/agree umpteen times I''m getting asked to accept/agree on numerous occasions every time I visit the site.
Talk about overkill, it''s getting tedious now.

OT I seem to have violated twitter or something. Goes into an endless loop.

They''ve obviously tested the software really well ...

[quote user="Making Plans"]

Correct. I''m a member of about 15 various message boards/forums on different topics and this is the only one where I have been asked to accept or agree to anything.
And it''s not like they hold any useful info about me.
An email address that I used in 2003 that is no longer in use, a

completely irrelevant user name, the fact that I live in N Walsham (which may or may not be true) the fact that my interests are football and music and that I''m retired.
Hardly enough data that would be of use to anyone.
And even though I have already clicked on accept/agree umpteen times I''m getting asked to accept/agree on numerous occasions every time I visit the site.
Talk about overkill, it''s getting tedious now.
[/quote]

Actually MP that doesn''t make him correct, it just means that those other sites are not using your data for anything or are not meeting the regulations. To use your data there had to be a traceable and explicit opt in, an implied acceptance is no longer enough. Also, your personal data for gdpr extends beyond just your email address and those few little tidbits, it also applies to things such as IP address, Mac and any other information which directly OR INDIRECTLY can be connected back to you through reference to another dataset, so for example an internal customer number which you have no knowledge of would class as PII.

I would suggest you are getting multiple requests to confirm acceptance is because of your cookie/tracker settings, it wouldn''t surprise me if that''s how they are deciding whether or not to serve that pop up.

[quote user="cornish sam"]

I would suggest you are getting multiple requests to confirm acceptance is because of your cookie/tracker settings, it wouldn''t surprise me if that''s how they are deciding whether or not to serve that pop up.[/quote]

I use Ghostery to block tracking and this is the worst site for trackers. Ghostery blocks 19 trackers every page on here when for most sites it rarely blocks more than 3

Yeah, I use that too, and the number of trackers is indicative of why they have so many things in the list that you can opt in to and why the other message boards you use haven''t had to do anything similar...

You HAVE given them permission to do so, when you joined. There is a complete exemption under GDPR for clubs, societies etc as long as they only contact you for the purposes of the club, society and do not send marketing information about other stuff.

Archant are not able to do anything with your data, other than use it for the purpose it was given - namely as a member of the messageboard.

If they were to try to market other stuff or sell on your data it is them who are in contravention. YOU don''t need to do anything.

THEY only need to do something if they think they might want to pass your data on or send you stuff which is unconnected to being a member of the messageboard.

THEY also need a process to deal with Subject Access Requests and the right to be forgotten, but that is their problem and no amount of blue boxes will solve it.