Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Maddison - The fans give their verdict

Quote "Of those polled, just over half believe the likes of Leicester City or Everton would be a good fit"

I know of no other club where selling the best player you have had in a generation, to plug a hole in finances, is met with such enthusiasm...

I do not want to see the man responsible for so much of what was good last season being sold to "plug a hole" in finances.

Of course when Chase did this, we demanded his removal now we just accept the second best that Delia & co serve up every time..

Oh well..

Or maybe recognise that someone at the club must have been doing something right to not only identify him early on, but be able to tempt him to an ''unfashionable'' Championship club when two top PL clubs were supposedly trying to sign him.
Then to progress his development to where he is worth what he is being touted as now.
What you are commented and griping about is newspaper comment, not something from the club.
Still, any stick I suppose...

All we need now is for someone to constantly moan about how the club funded the improvements at Colney ...

Why isn''t there an option on the poll for him to stay? I think if he''s sensible enough he might just do that. Has a team built around him here, that ain''t going to happen in the Premier League...

Unfortunately he’s simply far too good for us. He’s a PL standard player not playing in the PL. Would love him to stay but he deserves a move and he’s not so young he should hang around in the championship any longer. I don’t care if it’s a plug in our finances, it’s what’s right for the player.

I look forward to following him at his next club and hopefully in the England squad soon.

Agreed, it would be wonderful if he did stay for next season. We''re already seeing the bigger clubs in the Prem - where a lot of people are saying he could play - looking at players significantly above his level. Liverpool were touted as wanting him when we signed him, and have now signed Fabinho and Keita.

The top 6 are looking at more experienced internationals and, as was said on another thread, outside the top 6 or 8, the rest in the Prem are always one season away from relegation.

It would be an incredible coup if Farke and Webber persuaded him to stay, or indeed he chose to himself.

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]Unfortunately he’s simply far too good for us. He’s a PL standard player not playing in the PL. Would love him to stay but he deserves a move and he’s not so young he should hang around in the championship any longer. I don’t care if it’s a plug in our finances, it’s what’s right for the player.

I look forward to following him at his next club and hopefully in the England squad soon.[/quote]
exactly

As (I think) Webber said recently, we''d be fielding interest for Maddison based on this season even if we were sitting pretty financially.

The big question/issue is how it gets reinvested.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]All we need now is for someone to constantly moan about how the club funded the improvements at Colney ...[/quote]
Got anyone in mind Frank or is it just any old Joe ?

That we depend on what else happens this summer.
How big is the wage bill over income, whether we receive other transfer income.
What outgoings we face over the next season or two that may need to be funded by money from this and/or other sales.
Given that the playing squad is the highest outgoing I would suggest that most will be aimed in that direction....
..... withe odd crate or two of sherry, of course 

Nothing to do with having to sell our best player just to plug a financial gap. There is more to it than such a simplistic interpretation.

How can we possibly know the thoughts of the board about the impending loss of JM in any case?

Players like Maddison are always destined to rise to the top. It has been inevitable from day one of football itself.

From Ron Davies through to Chris Sutton and Dean Ashton these players will always be destined to be mopped up by the bigger boys. Are we supposed to try to swim against the tide in this respect? Is it at all possible?

James Maddison is destined for Premier League football, and possibly more, whilst we are a Championship club. Indeed we probably would be unable to hang onto him even if we were up there feasting from the top table and blessed with the appropriate shed load.

Such players want to win trophies, play European football and maximise their earnings whilst they can.

It just so happens that we have unearthed a gem who is far to hot a piece of property for us to hang on to.

Pity, sad, bloody shame, UGH! But that''s the way it is ... little fleas have bigger fleas upon their backs to bite them, these fleas have bigger fleas and so ad infinitum.

(The Toffees losing Wayne Rooney to Manchester United was possibly the most high profile example of this ever in my book, and I''ve long since considered Everton to be a fleabag of a club.)

The board''s job is not to resist such a sale but more to get the timing right and then maximise the income the club can receive from it.

As far as I know both these outcomes remain confused at this moment in time.

It is just expedient that this prospect is ripe at a pertinent time of financial need for the club.

I will not therefore be critical of Smith & Co. when this inevitable sale goes ahead, unless it is a poor piece of business for the club.

I will be very critical if a wedge of the money is not used to otherwise strengthen the team in order to bring about an improvement upon last season''s average performance and outcome.

Getting the cash and using it to maximum effect is the issue here, not the sale of the player.

[quote user="AJ"]Why isn''t there an option on the poll for him to stay? I think if he''s sensible enough he might just do that. Has a team built around him here, that ain''t going to happen in the Premier League...[/quote]

There is no option on the poll to stay as Archant are making it easy for our owners to take the easy option and sell our best player to fund their self funded model. It would cause them issues if the majority of fans on a poll said we should not sell him.

But you are not allowed to question the "Delia" and her followers these days... Any stick to keep us quiet

[quote user="king canary"]As (I think) Webber said recently, we''d be fielding interest for Maddison based on this season even if we were sitting pretty financially.

The big question/issue is how it gets reinvested.[/quote]

Past history tells us the majority will not go on the first team.

Didn''t Archant run a poll at the end of the season asking whether we should keep, sell or loan players. I believe Maddison was a ''sell'' according to the majority of that poll...

We are not a buying club, we are a production and development club, that is how achieve the most.

We cannot compete in the transfer market, even with the Madison money

It is the only way we can survive in the long run

Football is about to vanish up its own backside. I heard that Wolves are looking to spend over 50 million on a player. The money will one day run out.

When you look at all the poverty and suffering in the world, these fees are obscene

[quote user="Mike "][quote user="king canary"]As (I think) Webber said recently, we''d be fielding interest for Maddison based on this season even if we were sitting pretty financially.

The big question/issue is how it gets reinvested.[/quote]

Past history tells us the majority will not go on the first team.[/quote]Can you give us an example of where this money was spent Mike if it wasn''t on the first team?

spoil sport
you are a big bully
taking Mike''s stick away

I would suggest most of it does usually go on the senior squad; it is just the proportion spent on transfer fees is small;

As to who is trousering the cash that is clearly the senior squad; it goes into the players (and their agents ) accounts and pension funds - whether they perform or appear or not.

[quote user="Mr Ben"]spoil sport - you are a big bully - taking Mike''s stick away[/quote]Past history tells us Mike won''t be back to explain where this missing money went.....

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Mr Ben"]spoil sport - you are a big bully - taking Mike''s stick away[/quote]Past history tells us Mike won''t be back to explain where this missing money went.....[/quote]

So the money we get for Maddison won''t be used to "fill this financial black hole" that Archant talk about? All the money we get you expect to all go into the 1st team?

Brady, Snodgrass......

It''s fine, you are happy with owners who do not invest in the team or instrasture, I just happen to think that -

1) Delia & co are not the best owners we can hope for.

2) Their self funding model will result in a slide down the league(s) as other clubs will pay better players better money. It''s how a labour market works.

3) We are an attractive proposition to the right investor but our board has done all it can to resist any offers (see Times interview - 100% fact)

4) Nephew Tom as our new owner is frankly a risk too big to put on our club

5) If you DARE speak against Delia & her fans... you just receive the usual tired & frankly childish responses.

On well, world cup to look forward to .... oh and celebrating Norwich selling our best player after one season in a yellow shirt.. (sigh)

Have a lovely afternoon one & all.

@Mike

"So the money we get for Maddison won''t be used to "fill this financial black hole" that Archant talk about? All the money we get you expect to all go into the 1st team? "

The financial black hole is the first team. It is the gap between the wages we''re currently paying players and the income that we have incoming. So if Maddison is sold for £25m and £10m needs to be used to plug that gap it is still being spent on the first team- just not on new players/wages.

[quote user="Mike "]It''s fine, you are happy with owners who do not invest in the team or instrasture,[/quote] If they''re not investing in the team or infrastructure where is the money going Mike, please explain.

Does seem a shame that we would be celebrating losing Maddison, as a fan, i hope we keep him as long as possible and try build a promotion winning tesm around him but i am a realist and realise that we may be better off with the money.

Under the current model, there really doesnt seem much hope of us getting back to the prem bar a fluke season or 2. We are in desperate need of investment.

Will gladly apologise if you can show me where they are investing? From what I know, they paid back all loans they gave the club? They may have put money into the academy bond but that is at an interest higher than you get in banks at the moment?

They are currently not putting any money into the club, but by all means (now I have explained myself) tell me differently...

If the model is now a continuing decline in the squad as we continually have a reduced budget you are happy with that?

The money they "invest" is from us, player sales & merchandising , food etc. It''s declining, that is their fault.

"food etc. It''s declining, that is their fault"
or perhaps ours
we must eat more

"Does seem a shame that we would be celebrating losing Maddison, as a fan, i hope we keep him as long as possible and try build a promotion winning tesm around him but i am a realist and realise that we may be better off with the money.

Under the current model, there really doesnt seem much hope of us getting back to the prem bar a fluke season or 2. We are in desperate need of investment."

Exactly the point I am trying to make (not very well)

[quote user="Mr Ben"]
"food etc. It''s declining, that is their fault"
or perhaps ours
we must eat more
[/quote]

On that front Delia & co are probably doing their bit...

Good job I did not mention wine... (there again does she pay... no won''t go there...)

[quote user="Mike "]Will gladly apologise if you can show me where they are investing?[/quote]But you weren''t talking about them investing Mike, let''s remind ourselves of what you said originally.....[quote user="Mike "]Past history tells us the majority will not go on the first team.[/quote]So I''ll ask again, where has this money gone if not on the first team?

The point is no one has claimed that Delia and Wyn are investing so it is merely a distraction on your part to ask for any evidence to that claim.
Whereas you have stated "Past history tells us the majority will not go on the first team."
You have been asked to provide evidence of that
Should we assume that your failure to back that claim amounts to it actually being a lie.

I agree with the OP these type of articles are a joke and smack of Archant doing Webber''s dirty work for him by sounding out the fans or trying to judge what he can get away with. A similar "poll" appeared just before we sold Pritchard asking what fees fans thought would be acceptable and then low and behold he was sold for an "undisclosed fee" right in that ballpark.

At best the local press appear to be being used to soften fans up for Maddison''s departure, at worst they are working with Webber to drip feed stories so as to make fans believe its inevitable. I note for example that Bailey drops the fact we have a £20 million funding gap into virtually every article he writes these days.