Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Get Well Soon Ken Brown.

Time to wheel out my fav story. When Ken Brown was our manager we played a midweek game in Grimsby on a dingy winter night. I had travelled with around 20 others to the game by coach from Thetford just like we used to for every away game. After the game our regular driver Pat decided to warm us up he''d stop at a boozer somewhere in Lincolnshire so we could grab a quick beer before they shut. We were happily sitting in said boozer when the team coach pulled up outside and in walks Ken Brown,he''d popped in for a couple of crates of coca cola for the team and had a quick chat with us and thanked us for making the effort to travel to the game and then left. As soon as the team coach pulled away the landlord starting setting up fresh pints for all of us and said the gaffer had paid for them. That memory has always stayed with me.

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]Time to wheel out my fav story. When Ken Brown was our manager we played a midweek game in Grimsby on a dingy winter night. I had travelled with around 20 others to the game by coach from Thetford just like we used to for every away game. After the game our regular driver Pat decided to warm us up he''d stop at a boozer somewhere in Lincolnshire so we could grab a quick beer before they shut. We were happily sitting in said boozer when the team coach pulled up outside and in walks Ken Brown,he''d popped in for a couple of crates of coca cola for the team and had a quick chat with us and thanked us for making the effort to travel to the game and then left. As soon as the team coach pulled away the landlord starting setting up fresh pints for all of us and said the gaffer had paid for them. That memory has always stayed with me.[/quote]
Ken''s an absolute hero for me. Was an honorary PUP too when we saw him at Colney a couple or so years ago. It was then I realised that however old I get for Ken Brown I will always be "boy" [:)]

I worshipped John Bond even to the extent that I renewed an interest in Blondie''s music after he picked one of her recordings when he appeared on Desert Island Discs.

He will always be my favourite City manager ... perhaps I was at an age.

However, his ingracious comments about Ken Brown''s competence as his successor were a blot on his copy book at the time.

They were not to be realised.

Ken was a super assistant manager and was to prove to be not far behind Bondie in the full managerial ratings either.

[quote user="Inch High aka Inchy.."]Time to wheel out my fav story. When Ken Brown was our manager we played a midweek game in Grimsby on a dingy winter night. I had travelled with around 20 others to the game by coach from Thetford just like we used to for every away game. After the game our regular driver Pat decided to warm us up he''d stop at a boozer somewhere in Lincolnshire so we could grab a quick beer before they shut. We were happily sitting in said boozer when the team coach pulled up outside and in walks Ken Brown,he''d popped in for a couple of crates of coca cola for the team and had a quick chat with us and thanked us for making the effort to travel to the game and then left. As soon as the team coach pulled away the landlord starting setting up fresh pints for all of us and said the gaffer had paid for them. That memory has always stayed with me.[/quote]

wasn´t the milk cup quarter final, was it?

Pretty sure it was a league game as there were only around 200 Norwich fans in the ground.

If it was "a dingy winter''s night" it probably was in the League Cup. The two away league games against Grimsby during the Ken Brown years were played in September and April respectively.