Sign in to follow this  
norfolkngood

Lampard New Derby Manager !

Like the guy a lot, however never really imagined him to be a manager.

3 year deal with no experience is a strange one, especially for a club who will definitely expect to be in and around the top 2 next season.

But in truth, nobody knows how it will work out.

There are many examples of great players making poor managers and average players making very good managers.

He is totally untried so it will be an interesting season for Derby fans.

And the news come just a day after JT announces he''s not staying on at Villa.

Probably totally unrelated.

Reputedly has an IQ that''s MENSA calibre, but something about him just makes me think this will fall flat on it''s face. More chance than Gerrard though imo.

They surely need to reduce the wage bill following another failed attempt at promotion. The could be a massive challenge, however, players will want to play for Lampard which might result in them getting a few good loans next season.

can see him being a good manager. seems an intelligent guy and obviously has good contacts. derby may be a tough gig though. if they start the first 10 badly then knives will be out. wouldve been better at forest with no real expectations

So we shouldn’t expect much from Derby this season now, as it’s clearly a “transitional” season for them...

In my opinion, if Derby aren''t looking good for promotion around Christmas time.....I think Lanky Frampard will be looking nervously over his shoulder.....He was a good pro footballer, but straight into a poisoned chalice as manager of Derby might be somewhat, a difficult task.....

You can get 7/2 on Lampard, or 16/1 on Gerrard and Lampard both, being sacked by Christmas...Apples

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]They surely need to reduce the wage bill following another failed attempt at promotion. The could be a massive challenge, however, players will want to play for Lampard which might result in them getting a few good loans next season.[/quote]

That''s the general impression among the Derby fans I know. The rumour is that''s why Rowett went - he was told next season would be one of reduced spending, and he will have a much bigger budget at Stoke. And Derby was supposed to be his "forever" club, he must be more career minded/mercenary than was thought. An alternative theory is that the chairman is just impatient and wanted a shiny new manager. All that money still couldn''t buy them promotion. But Delia out, stinking rich owner in should fix everything for us, yes?

I''m led to believe that Rowett is all about himself.
Weren''t Birmingham and Derby supposed to be his dream clubs to manage?

It is a massive punt on a name with no coaching experience but it is probably a better option than the tired circular failing choice from the likes of McLaren, Pardew, Lambert & Moyes of this world.

The only advantage for Derby is likely to be potential access to chelsea loanees - but that is a pretty open source to most clubs anyway.

Lampard talks a good game, but not as well as Gary Neville, who found the transition to coach manager too much. Managing players is a different beast and while it will be interesting to see how he does it is not an appointment that would have made me happy if he arrived here. I think he has not yet completed his coaching badges - so who he has as back room staff will be key.

Frank needs the money as he will soon have another mouth to feed in the family. [:D]

I get that FL is a nice guy, but even as a pundit, he doesn''t come over as an all insightful, ex-pro, or a potential barnstorming manager. To me, he is mainly there (in the studio) because he is ''nice''.

For a Club of Derby''s standing, in the League, to me, this is a huge gamble.

FL doesn''t know the ''rough and tumble'' of the Champs at all, and I can see a possible new bounce, and they will do ok for a while, but, if they are having to cut their cloth accordingly, then when the results start to stutter, then Frank will soon see that the bright lights of the Prem are fading fast, disappearing over the horizon.

I would have thought a safer gnarly old manager, who knows the ropes of this League, would be far better, to take Derby just that one more level up

[quote user="GJP"]And the news come just a day after JT announces he''s not staying on at Villa.

Probably totally unrelated.[/quote]

I would assume so, given how Derby basically said when announcing Lampard that they need to cost cut, save money and that ''promotion isn''t on the cards'' for next season.

Will be interesting to see how the ol'' Lampard vs Gerrard battle progresses now as managers!

Football is a notoriously inexact science so it could work or it may not.

Very few appointments at this level are a shoe-in for promotion. Can only think of Warnock.

Sometimes the number one is only as good as his number two. Peter Taylor to Brian Clough, etc.

I think it will be interesting ZLF.

If he is as bright as he appears/they say then he has operated under a wealth of world class managers in his time so could well have taken in a lot of knowledge.He also has wise old harry as a sounding board.

I think this comes more down to the expectation and common sense of Derby. Clubs including ourselves seem to have lost sight of how long it can take to build a side. Very few clubs without a substantial budget are successful quickly. A number of championship clubs keep changing manager and go nowhere -Leeds and forest are classic examples. Maybe someone might give a bright young manger like Lampard time.

Can''t be any worse than the clown we have here with his negative sideward football

2 nice guys but Lampard has all the top connections in England compared to Mr Farke and the lower German leagues

You certainly have an axe to grind.

At the end of the day being Championship team who don''t have much money to spend, I''d rather we had a manager who can pick out the talent from the cheaper league. As an example how much would Vydra cost compared to Ducksch? And Vydra is by far not the most expensive striker in this league.

But as I''m sure you know, Farke isn''t really calling the shots signing wise, that''s Webber''s job.