Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Grealish or Maddison - who is better?

Compare these two montages and there is only ne winner...and it isn''t the villa player.
James Maddison season highlights 2017-18  - 
Jack Grealish season highlights  2017-18   -   
It''s been a privilege to see JM in a Norwich shirt, shame the chances he made for others weren''t converted more often!

The more I think about it, we''d do well to keep & build a goal-scoring team around James Maddison!

If Norwich acquired a decent replacement keeper for Angus, a new left back + two hard-working effective strikers we ''could'' be operating at the top end of the table by October/November.

Should that prove not to be the case, we could always sell JM for good money in January...

[quote user="king canary"]Some figures from the document you linked to earlier.

Income (before player trading) = 59.7 (forecast)

Costs (before player trading) = 56.6m (forecast)

We know that TV revenue is predicted to drop from £38m to £7m which would place our income next season at around £30m.

So our by our own reports we dropped the wage bill by about £8.5m in the summer so our costs would then sit at about...

£48m.

We''ve then taken off Pritchard and Jeromes wages while adding Srebeny and Hernandez and apparently making a profit of about £10m in fees (although this is total guess work). Tettey will be on lower wages and Wes will have been on a decent whack before he left too. So lets say we''ve saved another £80k a week with those deals- about another £4m off the costs. I don''t think it is worth trying to get in to how much we saved by loaning out Wildschut, Naismith and Martin vs spent loaning in Leitner and Edwards.

So that is £44m with another £10m in terms of fees ''in the bank'' to cover fees.

So lets say our income comes in at £30m and our costs are £44m but with £10m already to cover some shortfall- that would mean most of the Maddison money would be available to spend IF we wanted to- although I''d expect we may need to ''keep our powder dry'' for covering any losses next season if we can''t get that £44m down to under £30m.

This is all very FPA but without seeing accounts to understand how much has been saved with Pritchard, Jerome and Wes leaving or how much was spent vs received on transfers in January.

So I think it is unlikely there isn''t any shortfall- the question is how much is it and how much might we need to put aside to cover future shortfalls.[/quote]
Those are roughly the figures I have been working on - though they don''t include the £9m plus from transfers last summer. Or that our wage bill for 2017/18 was given as £38m.
Norfolkngood''s tak about a supposed ''shortfall and £7m cash are straight from the comments regularly posted on twtd
hmmmm

Cracking video that, LDC. Thanks for the link.

The other Maddison thread has a fair few comments doubting his ability. I can''t understand it - he''s a superb young player.

It''s been a pleasure watching him!

[quote user="norfolkngood"]mr ben on page 8 of 10 or the accounts states 30th june 2018 forecast minus 6.6 million down 7 million correct ?[/quote]
That is a projection from almost a year ago
It is not cash
You may may not have noticed but there have been a large number of players who have left and joined which will have affected that projection
Therefore there have been changes to the wage levels
There have also been two well paid cup games
I suspect that you have read this somewhere and have not felt it necessary to check or update yourself.
I wonder why ?

we will see how much is made available for buying players then

i take it from your stance you believe we have got the wages down to a level which we can afford , ?

No I merely pointed out that you were just making up stuff, as you still haven''t been able to substantiate this supposed shortfall.
And claiming what I have never said does not validate your guff about a supposed shortfall.

Shouldn''t you be out helping old ladies cross the road
... or is it the other way round now ?

From a NCFC fansite. Don''t know if there''s anything in this:

Jack Cummings

Admin · 17 hrs

BREAKING - Sky Sources: Liverpool have withdrawn interest for City midfielder James Maddison

Can''t find anything to confirm it.

Not sure Liverpool have ever been that interested. They are looking to spend £60m on Fekir, one of the best number 10s around at the minute - doubt a player who isn’t and established star at a top club is really entering their mind right now - Klopp has also always wanted attacking players with bags of pace something Maddison just doesn’t have.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Not sure Liverpool have ever been that interested. They are looking to spend £60m on Fekir, one of the best number 10s around at the minute - doubt a player who isn’t and established star at a top club is really entering their mind right now - Klopp has also always wanted attacking players with bags of pace something Maddison just doesn’t have.[/quote]
I suspect that will be the case with many. Why tie up money on a player who will not hit te ground running ?
So much is dependent on the money the Champions League earns that everything has to be geared towards that aim

Liverpool were one of the Front Runners before Christmas they had a scout at every game to watch Maddision also Klopp came to watch him himself as many have Maddison being one of the best English youngsters around

Things and Money change though i imagine Liverpool may have shifted Targets due to other players higher up the ladder becoming available to them

Maddison would have had to learn sit on the bench and may not be in the liverpool team for a season or two so looks like they are after a more finished product

[quote user="Mr Ben"]That is a projection from almost a year ago

It is not cash[/quote]

Watching City1st arguing that a slide with the heading "Cash Position" in large letters, has nothing to with cash......

Premier League clubs have scouts at pretty much every Championship game, so Liverpool having one at Norwich is not anything special. I’m sure Maddison has been watched by many clubs, but ultimately the bigger clubs have yet to make their interest solid and I doubt any will.

Not sure who told you that Klopp has been to a Norwich game to watch Maddison but if that was the case his picture would have been all over the Pink’Un. Also, Klopp has little say in Liverpool transfers and he wouldn’t be expected to do the scouting himself.

''Watching City1st arguing that a slide with the heading "Cash Position" in large letters, has nothing to with cash......''
i must have missed that bit, do point out where I argued "has nothing to with cash......"
and perhaps your evidence that the current wage bill is £38m as you claimed, as I appear to have missed that as well

[quote user="Mr Ben"]
[quote user="norfolkngood"]mr ben on page 8 of 10 or the accounts states 30th june 2018 forecast minus 6.6 million down 7 million correct ?[/quote]
That is a projection from almost a year ago
It is not cash
[/quote]
Once again. The title at the top of page 8 is "Cash Position"
To which you replied, and I have quoted you "It is not cash"

[quote user="king canary"]If anything I''d guess £32m is aittle on the low side.[/quote]
I''m repeating what some reliable posters on here have said regarding fans group meetings with Steve Stone. Though they don''t say how he came up with that figure. Whilst that was before Hoolahan departed and Tettey signed a reduced contract, it does seem hard to get to that number without factoring them in.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Not sure Liverpool have ever been that interested. They are looking to spend £60m on Fekir, one of the best number 10s around at the minute - doubt a player who isn’t and established star at a top club is really entering their mind right now - Klopp has also always wanted attacking players with bags of pace something Maddison just doesn’t have.[/quote]

Agree with this comment. Maddison''s lack of blistering pace will prevent him going to one of the top 6. He is ideally suited to the next level down, the Leicesters and Evertons where he will go straight into the first team and have a huge impact.

For me, Grealish edges it - looks more composed and a complete player

Taking nothing from Maddison of course, who is an excellent championship player in his own right

Not sure who told you that Klopp has been to a Norwich game to watch Maddison but if that was the case his picture would have been all over the Pink’Un. Also, Klopp has little say in Liverpool transfers and he wouldn’t be expected to do the scouting himself.

Bethnal all i was told It Was a away Game and the scout watching him every game was told to me by well known Ex Norwich scout who is still scouting full time

Plenty of clubs interested with Fulham now joining the queue - if the interest is serious then it should only inflate the fee further.

Will be Leicester. Fee has been agreed with Norwich and now working on personal details.

Fulham story probably from Maddison’s camp to try and drive the wages young James can get up (and the fee the agent gets).

Announcement could be this week.