Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Grealish or Maddison - who is better?

With Mahrez off to Man City, Leicester are linked with both. According to Sky, Grealish will be priced around £40m.

I haven''t seen anyone value Maddison at that level - but in my opinion he is a better all round player than Grealish and has more natural ability.

I appreciate they are not quite the same players but they are similar enough to be compared as Number 10s or creative midfielders. So which one would you rather have, and if Grealish goes for £40m how much could Maddison really fetch?

I think it was Steve Bruce who gave Gealish the £40m tag.

Apparently Leicester were talking of offering £20m at some time last season and Bruce said that they would have to ''double it''.

Nevertheless JM is the better player, imo, and whatever Grealish sells for we should demand the same or more.

Maddison for me... 14 goals & 8 assists to Grealish''s 3 goals & 6 assists all been it that Grealish only played 31 times (9 as sub) to Madders 49 (2 as sub).

Madders has a better pass rate too.

Madders scores more, passes better & has a better attitude.

Villa have put the £40m tag on Grealish, as I am guessing, they do not want to sell him but he probably wants a move.

Playing devil''s advocate, Grealish is a lot more experienced than Maddison, with 40+ appearances in the Premiership. Both have great ability.

If Mahrez gets his move to Man City (or elsewhere), I can see either of them going to Leicester, but I suspect their fans would see Grealish as less of a risk than Maddison.

All the more reason for him to stay with us... ;-)

I can see Leicester using the Mahrez money to get both of them to be honest.

Villa aren’t realistically expecting £40m for Grealish and need to sell more than Norwich do because of FFP rules.

£20m for each and £20m left over from the Mahrez money.

Grealish though would fell a more natural replacement for Mahrez, not sure Maddison is really suited to playing outwide, doesn’t really have the pace for it. Grealish has grown up a lot since his earlier antics and was a stand out player for Villa in the run in. If Leicester do only go for one expect them to play Norwich and Villa off against each other as both clubs need to sell.

Not a lot in. Maddison probably has more of an eye for goal but Grealish covers the ground better.

Grealish did have a strong 2nd half of the season. Maddison had a few flatter games.

Maddison. Grealish is good but Maddison still looked great in the most part, even though the team showed a lack of attacking intent. Grealish was supported by some high profile players aswell.

I think Maddison''s assists and goals speak for themselves. Better player than Grealish and a year younger, too.

I''d take Maddison but the fact Grealish has some Premier League experience will add a few £££ to the price.

It''s difficult to make objective assessments. Grealish played extremely well in the play-offs, whereas James certainly tailed off towards the season''s end, & it''s always the most recent performances that colour your judgment.

However, Birmingham Mail seem to think Maddison is worth a bit more than Grealish.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neves-grealish-sessegnon-what-next-14729976

Sessegnon is a different level to Maddison and Grealish to be fair.

You have to bear in mind that Grealish has generally played amongst better players than Maddison has this year. Maddison has carried us and if we had more creativity within the team and a better finisher, his stats (especially assists) would be even better AND he''s a year younger.

I rate Maddison more and I''d want us to sell £25 million.

3 goals and 6 assists in 22 for Grealish, 14 goals 8 assists in 42 for Maddison. I think Maddison is less of a risk if you are spending the money.

I think Maddison also has better set piece quality, and I like the fact that he seems to be looking after his career always progressing where Grealish seems to have come in, stuttered, but picked himself up again towards tin the 2nd half of this season.

Maddison is a far better player now and will only get better.
Grealish has been trouble to deal with from the start and his stats are nowhere near Maddison''s for last season even though he was surrounded by more experienced players most with Premier League games on their CV..
Maddison is worth double what Grealish is.

Maddison a ball player, less mobile but more effective using the ball and can carry the ball, while Grealish more mobile and a decent dribbler who can go past players. Would agree that they are not competing for the same slots.

I don''t expect a club to take a punt on both but dont see either staying in the champs next season. Prem clubs should be buying

Maddison seems the marginally better option, Grealish showed in the PO final that the temperament issues are still there, just more dormant, while Maddison has the age and scope to improve further advantage.

It doesnt really matter what Sessegnon or Grealish go for - all that matters is we sell Maddison for a good figure and reinvest that money in expanding our attacking options removing the dependence, (and our predictability) on him we developed over last season

Maddison certainly performed better last season. Take into account he performed very well in a poor side makes it even more impressive tbh.

Seems like the £20m Maddison to Leicester rumour won''t go away. Wouldn''t be displeased with that, interested to see if that''s his level or if someone bigger comes in for more.

I''m hoping that''s just an opening bid from them. We keep hearing that there are other clubs interested, so let''s hope the club is ready to listen to other - higher - offers.

£20 million is not enough after we have paid Coventry out it leaves us with very little to strengthen the team

as i see it maddison money has to cover any short fall in money this season / pay coventry a % / and buy a couple of players

Both have been shining lights in pretty dour teams tbh. Maddison seems more of a goal threat whereas Grealish seems to have more impact for longer periods of the game. Would like to see them play in the same team!

It could be that the club is not aware of all this and so it is imperative for posters on here to make all this known. JM could so easily be sold for a few million without these warnings.
Otherwise in the real world the sell on figure is being spoken of as 10% and that is of the total fee. Coventry would have been due other payments linked to appearances, internationals, promotion etc
An interesting article below which highlights what a decent lad he is
such a pleasant change from the ''bertie big bollox'' stuff so many young players often display.

Does anyone else think that Coventry have got quite a bad deal here?

Apart from the 10% of the transfer fee, will they get any of the other add-ons?

Appearances - only one full season.

Internationals - Played for the u21 team a couple of times.

Promotions/league positions - Nope, we got relegated and missed play-offs both times.

Goals/assists - Maybe, depending on the number required to activate the clause.

Back to the OP: I would say Maddison. Grealish is undoubtedly a good player - having proved himself in the Premiership - but Maddison has a better attitude by far.

It will be a travesty if Villa sell Grealish for double what Maddison goes for.

I cannot see there being much in the way of add ons, and I doubt if goals were ever an ''add on''
certainly not the last player to touch the ball before the goalscorer, rather a meaningless ''statistic''
yes I would agree that Coventry do seem to have got a raw deal here

Yet Coventry without Maddison finally achieved promotion to League 1 last season.

There is life after JM after all.

(Coventry''s manager Mark Robins has built up a decent managerial record and should our own chap need removing at some time in the nearish future then he could conceivably be in the frame?)

Coventry agreed the deal so i dont feel like they got a Raw deal just sold him to cheap

i am worried though that 20 million one short fall and money paid to Coventry will not us much if anything left to strengthen

A player like Maddison should be worth more than 20 million English and potential is massive hope our Board do not sell to cheap as we only have one chance