Sign in to follow this  

Community Club. Really?

I, along with two other City supporters have just been on the Football to Amsterdam cycle ride.

It ended rather expensively and painfully for me as on the Dutch leg I crashed out and separated my collar bone.

But that isn''t my point. It revolves around the belief that NCFC is a great community club. And so it may be when it suits them.

But after twice contacting the club about some sort of item that could be raffled towards not only the ride but my ongoing Prostate Cancer UK fundraising, I received one reply but nothing forthcoming.

This from a club who has an ex Director now Ambassador who made it public about his Prostate Cancer and the surgery to remove it.

St Albans FC, NLSouth, sent 44 riders out and kitted them out etc. Charlton, Brentford were just two more of the clubs that managed to help out their riders.

I am not having a dig at Delia and Co because it may well be office staff responsible, but I think it is miserable and mean that the club couldn''t have done just a little to help this worthy cause as I reiterate the story about Stephen Fry.

The club has dropped a massive amount in my estimation and will take many things with a pinch of salt from now on.

This is very bad news indeed for Delia. She puts more emphasis on community than football, so if it isn''t even community either (it stopped being football a long time ago) what is it?

Hi KG, its always a shame when the club doesn''t / cant deliver, especially for such a good cause. As you say its usually a staff thing, and i''m sure they must have a reason. If it is of any help i have a few bits of Norwich City memorabilia, and will gladly let you have a signed ball that you can use towards your fundraising.
Just let me know and we can sort something.

KG"It ended rather expensively and painfully for me as on the Dutch leg I crashed out and separated my collar bone"Did this Dutchman deliberately stick his leg out and knock you off your bike! Shocking behaviour.Seriously though, sorry to hear that but a big well done on getting on your bike and doing it.👍I am surprised at the response from the club, I do wonder if your request got to the right person?Hopefully someone will pick up on it from here and sort something out.Well done again and hope you recover soon.

Not sure what that was all about ?
Should only have been 1st paragraph............
Hi KG, its always a shame when the club doesn''t / cant deliver,

especially for such a good cause. As you say its usually a staff thing,

and i''m sure they must have a reason. If it is of any help i have a few

bits of Norwich City memorabilia, and will gladly let you have a signed

ball that you can use towards your fundraising.

That is a real shame- did you try reaching out to any players directly? They are often more accessible via twitter etc etc.

Disappointing to hear, but in fairness to the club I would suspect they receive alot of requests from charities for support and donations and simply cant help everyone.

I work for a relatively small online retailer although the largest of type in Europe and we have daily requests for donations and sponsorship so it is difficult to verify which are genuine or not first of all but simply too many to help.

Obviously I don''t know the reasons in this specific case but I would guess the majority of requests are rejected. May be worth contacting players or ex players, didn''t goss do a charity bike ride recently?

Not sure what that was all about ?

Should only have been 1st paragraph............

Hi KG, its always a shame when the club doesn''t / cant deliver, especially for such a good cause. As you say its usually a staff thing, and i''m sure they must have a reason. If it is of any help i have a few bits of Norwich City memorabilia, and will gladly let you have a signed ball that you can use towards your fundraising.

Hi Lessingham. Thanks for that. I might take you up on that generous offer at sometime.

I was hoping to get Jarvis''s playing kit as it would have been brand new.

Did this Dutchman deliberately stick his leg out and knock you off your bike! Shocking behaviour.

Indeed VW. Cycled the first 89 miles from Olympic Velodrome to Harwich without incident.

15K on the purpose built cycle path from Hook of Holland onwards, two Saturday cyclists on their midwife bikes, wobbled, wibbled, stumbled right into my path and I had to bale out. Hit a wooden post, finished going over the handle bars and causing the injury.

Ended up in hospital at Den Haag and after treatment had to fork out 111 euros fro a cab to Amsterdam!

But I have to recommend this trip to all you guys out there. Fabulous weekend. Football and beer. What more could you ask for?

If Ipswich can put out a few, it is pretty poor that we can only manage three. And two of us don''t even live in Norwich/Norfolk.

Go to the Football to Amsterdam site on the Prostate Cancer UK web page and check out next year''s ride.

This blows out the water the narrative that Delia wants a community based club

How much longer must we have to endure the unendurable, deal with the undealable and accept the unacceptable

Delia out stinking rich community focused Chinese owner in

Norwich City really are a community club. But of course that doesn''t mean its a one way street between the club and the community. The community club model is definitely a two way initiative and is wonderful to be part of. 

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Did this Dutchman deliberately stick his leg out and knock you off your bike! Shocking behaviour.

Indeed VW. Cycled the first 89 miles from Olympic Velodrome to Harwich without incident.

15K on the purpose built cycle path from Hook of Holland onwards, two Saturday cyclists on their midwife bikes, wobbled, wibbled, stumbled right into my path and I had to bale out. Hit a wooden post, finished going over the handle bars and causing the injury.

Ended up in hospital at Den Haag and after treatment had to fork out 111 euros fro a cab to Amsterdam!

But I have to recommend this trip to all you guys out there. Fabulous weekend. Football and beer. What more could you ask for?

If Ipswich can put out a few, it is pretty poor that we can only manage three. And two of us don''t even live in Norwich/Norfolk.

Go to the Football to Amsterdam site on the Prostate Cancer UK web page and check out next year''s ride.[/quote]
Probably relatives of Ricky van Wolfswinkel out for revenge. Or just mimicking his playing style...
A shame you weren''t able to get anything from the club. As another poster said, they obviously have to verify it is really for charity, as opposed to ending up on ebay, and that must be time-consuming if there are frequent requests. Perhaps that was a factor?

Keelans Grandad, Could you tell me who you contacted at the club for your raffle prize, not making any excuses but I know they get loads of charity requests each week.

Well done for your efforts & sorry u got hurt

A shame you weren''t able to get anything from the club. As another poster said, they obviously have to verify it is really for charity, as opposed to ending up on ebay, and that must be time-consuming if there are frequent requests. Perhaps that was a factor?

I sent a jpg of me in the Prostate Cancer Charity cycling jersey worn over the top of my NCFC shirt with with my Carrow Road sign behind my right shoulder.

I spoke to a young lady, probably a junior who said she would look into it. But I have heard nothing in reply.

I really would have liked a Delia Cook Book signed by herself. I am sure that would have raised a few bob in any part of Britain.

Keelans Grandad, Could you tell me who you contacted at the club for your raffle prize, not making any excuses but I know they get loads of charity requests each week.

I really cannot remember the young lady''s name. She was very courteous and understanding and I must admit I fancied a result with this contact.

Of course the club must get as many bogus as genuine requests each week. But I just thought that as the ride was Football to Amsterdam, Stephen Fry had made his initial despair but great relief public regarding his Prostate Cancer and the clubs good standing in the Community at large that something however small would have shown the Club''s support for this great charity event. Especially as I am bullying people who don''t even like football to give me as much cash as they can spare to try and defeat the third biggest killer in the UK. One man every 45 minutes.

Norwich City really are a community club. But of course that doesn''t mean its a one way street between the club and the community. The community club model is definitely a two way initiative and is wonderful to be part of.

Unfortunately for me, it was a one way street.

Pops, I''m sorry that you were snubbed by someone at the club. I can''t comment because I don''t know who snubbed you.

However this doesn''t mean our club is not a community club. I can tell you it is. Surely, as someone at least as old as me, you have some of that community club experience too?

However this doesn''t mean our club is not a community club. I can tell you it is. Surely, as someone at least as old as me, you have some of that community club experience too?

I have always been proud that I support, that word isn''t strong enough in reality, NCFC.

As you say we are of similar ages and can remember when we were so isolated and unloved that we had to be a Community Club.

So yes I do believe our model is the only way the club can continue. Indeed I had great respect from many quarters during the ride because of that.

I just feel pretty gutted at the moment that maybe an important matter such as this was, enough for Stephen Fry to mention it on his twitter messages, didn''t receive some scrutiny from someone else at the club.

I feel if the club got involved in this type of project then I possibly wouldn''t feel the way I do or have been the only person wearing a City shirt at breakfast on the ferry.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]However this doesn''t mean our club is not a community club. I can tell you it is. Surely, as someone at least as old as me, you have some of that community club experience too?

I have always been proud that I support, that word isn''t strong enough in reality, NCFC.

As you say we are of similar ages and can remember when we were so isolated and unloved that we had to be a Community Club.

So yes I do believe our model is the only way the club can continue. Indeed I had great respect from many quarters during the ride because of that.

I just feel pretty gutted at the moment that maybe an important matter such as this was, enough for Stephen Fry to mention it on his twitter messages, didn''t receive some scrutiny from someone else at the club.

I feel if the club got involved in this type of project then I possibly wouldn''t feel the way I do or have been the only person wearing a City shirt at breakfast on the ferry.[/quote]
I don''t blame you Pops and understand.
However I think people do have different ideas about what a community club is and even what a two way street is.
When I cleaned bogs at Bayer Club we had a charity partner which was Quidenham Hospice (later EACH) and we concentrated most of our efforts on that. However from time to time people came and asked us to get involved in other initiatives. If possible we''d always try to find a way to do something. Especially if it was something like your cycle ride where our members were doing something and we could support them. I always say Bayer Club had a charity partner before the football club joined the bandwagon[:)] But to be fair I think you have been unlucky in who you contacted. I guess that''s the advantage we have in being in regular contact with our football club. But then maybe that''s part of the two way street.
I''m sorry that I was unaware about the cycle ride. Was there sponsorship etc? Don''t forget this message board is a community too.

I was given a signed pendant a couple years back for a charity I was involved with. You have to apply for it and they have a form to fill out explaining why you want it and what you will do with it. Only takes a few minutes and can be found here:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/Our-Club/Carrow-Road/Charity-Policy/

I was given a signed pendant a couple years back for a charity I was involved with. You have to apply for it and they have a form to fill out explaining why you want it and what you will do with it. Only takes a few minutes and can be found here:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/Our-Club/Carrow-Road/Charity-Policy/

Thanks DC. That looks useful for next season.

I''m sorry that I was unaware about the cycle ride. Was there sponsorship etc? Don''t forget this message board is a community too.

I did mention it on a topic but did not want to ask for money from anyone on the Pink Un.

I am Captain of the Cornwall Seniors Golf and will be Captain of my home club from 30 June. I will be raising until June 2019 so was hoping that I could assemble a number of items and auction them off during the year.

I had to raise £1000 for the cycle ride and have paid £650 of that myself. After having my cancer virtually removed last year, it is the least I can personally do and hope to raise a few thousand by holding events during the year.

Dead Canary has put me onto something from the start of next season so hopefully the club will contribute.

Fantastic to hear you are on the mend more generally KG, albeit with what sounds like a particularly sore cycling injury!
I''d be happy to chuck a few quid in - let me know how I can do so [Y]

Thanks for the kind offers chaps. I tend to look to raise money from elsewhere because I know people of our ilk do tend to donate to so many things.

But it is heart warming to know that I can turn to you good guys if I need to.