Sign in to follow this  
curious yellow

Buendia

So, a guy from La Liga side Getafe must be bang average because he was loaned out to a La Liga 2 side..i guess i understand, after all a certain J. Maddison is bang average because he plays for a 2nd tier English side and was loaned out to a Scottish club...
Also he must be bang average because he has only played for the Spain under 19s and Argentina under 20s...i mean,,, Spain and Argentina...small bang average national teams right?
Seriously though, with losing Pritchard, Wes and most likely Madders to, in a short few months, if we have brung in McLean, Emi and maybe, just maybe Leitner or a similar for a fraction of the cost, with us finishing in the lower half of the Champs, i dont think we could have done much better than that.

I fully understand the financial situation we''re in, but I can''t help but feel a tinge of anxiousness about replacing Pritchard, Wes and Maddison with MacLean, Buendia and Leitner. I''m very happy to be proven wrong and for the new 3 to become our ''best'' players next season - which is how I saw Pritchard, Wes and Maddison. Slightly worrying if they don''t though... or perhaps our new striker (who ever he might be) will become the talisman we''ve missed since Holt left.

I still remain very unconvinced by Leitner who I feel to a certain extent personified everything that I didn''t like with Farke''s style of football.

McLean I''m intrigued by as I am by this new guy. I''m just not sure we need to sign all three.

[quote user="king canary"]I still remain very unconvinced by Leitner who I feel to a certain extent personified everything that I didn''t like with Farke''s style of football.

McLean I''m intrigued by as I am by this new guy. I''m just not sure we need to sign all three.[/quote]
Leitner is plainly a very accomplished technical player and from what I have seen of him, he looks a player lacking in a little bit of confidence - maybe playing safe rather than being more expansive. However, assuming he stays, a pre-season will help him get more up and running on every level, as it will with the other new players from last season. 

Didnt realise you were a full time scout WC; Perhaps you can give us the benefit of your wisdom as to why buendia is so clearly a donkey as so few of us had heard of him before today, let alone seen him enough to pass judgememnt. Just another from the world of you couldnt make it up but did anyway.

I suspect you were as unenthusiastic of the signing of Maddison from then third tier Coventry too.

When you only have hope left in the coffers what else did you expect?

Can''t say I saw a lack of confidence in his play. He seemed very comfortable and it seemed like his game was neat and tidy passing, often backwards and sideways without much in the way of penetration. This may be symptom of him playing in a deeper midfield role and if pushed forward he could put his passing to better use.

Given a choice between him and Vrancic in a deeper role though I''d take Vrancic.

I agree Leitner is a classic Farke player - technically able, always wants the ball, can pick a pass etc. On his debut (30 mins v a 10 man Middlesborough team), he looked amazing and he was very good in the away game where he scored, only for it to be cancelled out when the ref gave a penalty (can''t remember the game). In other games though, I haven''t seen him have the same level of influence as Maddison or Wes - who we are saying he would be replacing.

Yes, I''d be interested to see WC''s breakdown of how the new players are "donkeys" -it will be good to read some expert knowledge and make the most of the expertise of someone who has clearly spent a lifetime working in football to a high level both in this country and in Europe-we can, after all, only wait for the players to settle into the side and play 15-20 games or so before beginning to form any sort of opinion on them. Thankfully we''ve been pre-warned on this occasion as to their quality.

@Woodman

I''d also suggest he doesn''t have the mobility or ability to carry the ball that Maddison or Pritchard have. You can see both of them pick the ball up, turn and face the goal and look at what they can do going forwards. It may result in the ball being lost but it also puts defenders on edge, makes them face their own goal and creates space for others to run into.

Leitner will often receive the ball facing his own goal and immediately pay a short pass backwards or sideways rather than trying to turn and look forwards. It is fine at times but plays into the hands of teams who want to get their defenders settled in deep.

I like the thought of this Argentinian youngster and, being so young, he could well turn into a star player for us.

He has some pedigree in youth internationals, if not much.

Any enthusiasm must be tempered by the limited price tag as for £1.5m you get what you pay for. His valuation does not excite but his youth and promise could well raise him above this in the future.

My biggest disappointment was finding out that he wasn''t a striker though. That''s our greatest need and the reality is that accomplished hit men at that price just do not exist.

[quote user="king canary"]Looks quite decent to me. Fingers crossed.

Would think that would be enough midfielders for now though.[/quote]
You can never have enough midfielders when you adopt tippy tappy sideways and backwards tactics - they help keep the possession stats high.

We tried this type of signing before with the likes of Victor Segura Abascal. Didn''t set the world on fire.

Delia is clearly going round the same block she went round in the late 90s, early 00s.

[quote user="king canary"]@Woodman

I''d also suggest he doesn''t have the mobility or ability to carry the ball that Maddison or Pritchard have. You can see both of them pick the ball up, turn and face the goal and look at what they can do going forwards. It may result in the ball being lost but it also puts defenders on edge, makes them face their own goal and creates space for others to run into.

Leitner will often receive the ball facing his own goal and immediately pay a short pass backwards or sideways rather than trying to turn and look forwards. It is fine at times but plays into the hands of teams who want to get their defenders settled in deep.[/quote]

I seem to remember posting on here that we didn''t win a game or score a goal when Leitner was on the pitch for his first ten games. I can''t be bothered to check if that''s true but I don''t think he ever seriously troubled any of our opponents. A bit like a second rate Ray Wilkins.

The Argentinian certainly has a lot of attitude. He was in trouble last season for describing the owners of his club as a bunch of whores. Unpleasant little sod. I like him already

[quote user="Big Vince"]We tried this type of signing before with the likes of Victor Segura Abascal. Didn''t set the world on fire.

Delia is clearly going round the same block she went round in the late 90s, early 00s.[/quote]

It''s a good point well made Vince

It''s all just so damn depressing

"The Argentinian certainly has a lot of attitude. He was in trouble last

season for describing the owners of his club as a bunch of whores.

Unpleasant little sod. I like him already"That sort of comment would provoke an interesting response here😀

[quote user="Van wink"]"The Argentinian certainly has a lot of attitude. He was in trouble last

Unpleasant little sod. I like him already"That sort of comment would provoke an interesting response here😀[/quote]
Sounds more like an Oliviera replacement if that''s his mentality [:D]
Seriously though - I like the look of him. Youtube montages are hardly reliable, but you can see he has a football brain in there and he looks like an absolute nightmare for defenders with the quick feet and trickery. No idea if he''s actually much cop as a player but I get the feeling he''ll be fun to watch. From the video he reminds me of a younger Hoolahan, with a bit more strength. 

Also add in to the pedigree debate, Riyad Mahrez was 22 when he signed for Leicester from French 2nd tier side Le Havre for 450k.
By the logic of Big Vince, WC et al, we have just signed a player 3 times better than Mahrez so are well on course to winning the Prem in a couple of years, just need to sign a non-league striker and we''ll be bang on track. 
Not saying we have signed the next Mahrez, but people need to think before making stupid comments based on nothing more than the club he played for and the transfer fee.

[quote user="Big Vince"]We tried this type of signing before with the likes of Victor Segura Abascal. Didn''t set the world on fire.

Delia is clearly going round the same block she went round in the late 90s, early 00s.[/quote]

Segura was a left back in his late 20''s signed on a free... it''s a bit different. If anything, this is more like Marc Libbra or Gaetano Giallanza who weren''t bad for a bit.

if we were to "raid" the EFL two divisions below us for a Jerome type replacement: Mohammed Eisa, very quick, high work rate and 23 goals this year.

if we were to "raid" the EFL one division below us for a Hooper type replacement: Jack Marriot, quick, strong, excellent header and 27 goals this year. Bristol, Leeds and Forest already after him.

I do thinl eisa is a possible but not sure what his cost is or whether we could afford him. Did suggest him about a month ago

Everton seem to be wanting to loan lookman out to an english side despite his success at rb leipzig. His directness and pace could be perfect.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"][quote user="Big Vince"]We tried this type of signing before with the likes of Victor Segura Abascal. Didn''t set the world on fire.

Segura was a left back in his late 20''s signed on a free... it''s a bit different. If anything, this is more like Marc Libbra or Gaetano Giallanza who weren''t bad for a bit.[/quote]

Segura was only 24 when we signed him on a Bosman free.

BTW, what sort of person would refer to him as Victor Segura Abascal? Vinnie probably looked him up on Wikipedia.

He seems quick enough and a good tackler, but he seems a little one-footed and shooting is not his forte. He is in no way a replacement for Madison. He could get more experienced, but essentially he is a different sort of player.

He is still young and could develop, but do we see him as a shoe-in for one of the established players. I doubt this at the moment.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Here you go STFU, wrap your mouth around a couple of these wee beauties.https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/paella-arancini-bitesApples[/quote]You know what is missing from this forum a cookery thread since we are owned by a celebrity chef. You should start one. You can call it."Delia. Cooking with Apples"

Young, cheap and hungry to succeed fits the right kind of player we need.

However, it looks like he''s scored 17 in 114 games so far in his career, so not sure he''s the immediate answer

[quote user="Van wink"]"The Argentinian certainly has a lot of attitude. He was in trouble last

Unpleasant little sod. I like him already"That sort of comment would provoke an interesting response here😀
[/quote]
Continuing on with the comparisons with a club legend. If my memory is correct didn''t a certain Irishman who wore the number 14 pull a similar stunt and called the whole City a ****hole?