Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Turning point?

Did the hardy 768 who were at Carrow Road last night witness a turning point in our so far bitterly disappointing start to the season?

Yes I know it ''was only the reserves'' but 3-0 and by all accounts pretty impressive showing with key players either scoring or coming back from injury. This can only be good news.  

I''m particularly pleased for Hughes and hope he is safely recovered now from his hamstring to play on Saturday. He has taken a lot of unwarranted stick so far from many fans but he deserves a break and our backing. He is the only player who DELIBERATELY stays behind and makes a point of approaching all corners of the ground to applaud the fans whether we have won (oops, we haven''t - forgot that bit!), drawn or lost. I for one really appreciate that. Lets face it that takes some bottle as he is setting himself up for a load of abuse if the team have failed (again) or he has not done the business. He may not be the most skillful guy on the planet but anyone who went to the Palace game will appreciate the quality of the goal we scored and his part in it. The ball into the box for Ashton was top class. Imagine if that type of ball had been played on Saturday by that overpaid and overrated ''captain'' of England! The media hype would have been unbearable - mobile phone downloads, DVD''s, front page coverage - you name it and the media would have chucked it at us. You can imagine the headline - ''was this the greatest cross of all time'' and all that sort of nauseating garbage. Five Live and Talk Sport would still be having orgasms about it now! 

Let''s get behind Hughesy on Saturday or when he makes his comeback. If he can stay fit I believe that will be crucial to us for the rest of the season.

Looking at his midfield options, Worthington has certainly staked a lot on Hughes having a very good season. Lets hope he does.

Yellow Rider - I totally agree about Hughes. Its fantastic how he applauds the crowd. I too think it takes a lot of bottle. He seems like someone with a lot of guts.

I remember a Reading fan posting on here. He said that Hughes is an emotional guy and needs the crowd behind him. If the crowd gets behind him he''ll start banging in the goals.

I like Hughes, but he has had a mixed reaction on this board. I say lets get behind him and encourage more of the pin point passing that we witnessed at the Palace game.

Come on Hughsey - lets be havin you. Welcome to FCR. Lets win some games. 

I like the look of hughes, The crowd reaction to a new player after the first couple of games was disgusting.

Think the lad was trying to hard, If he calms himself down slightly and thinks about what he is trying to achive. I am sure we will see why worthington rates him so highly.

Like the other posters, I also really like players that applaud the crowd.

Get behind him and the team and our problems will evaporate ..............

im not sure if this is going to turn round. Every game i thought "were going to get a run together now". I wouldnt be suprised if Plymouth caused another upset. I think we can beat them though.

Hughes taking the time to do a simple lap of the ground to thank the fans is a simple but very affective appreciation of the fans that ALL footballs should learn from.  As other posters have already pointed out it takes guts when performances are not good and the crowd have shown their dissatisfaction - although he has not yet done it when we have lost...

However genuine the man he can only have a place in the team though the quality of his performances.   Apart from THAT cross against Palace my view is that the comments from the Royals discussion forum ring true, a committed player who gives his all but could trap a sand bag.    

Clearly he needs more time to show us what he is really about but on the limited evidence so far I prefer Marny as Safris partner.

As far as a turning point is concerned our reserve team picking up a win is pretty tenuous (in our promotion year I think the reserves were distinctly lower half of the combination); but a straw I am happy to clutch if it someone think it will help!

OTBC