Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Season Of Consolidation?

Would we all take another season like this one knowing next summer we will probably have a much better scope to work with with big earners out of contract in the summer of 2019

McGovern

Klose

Martin

Pinto

Wildschut

Jarvis

Naismith

That''s probably at least £200k a week there. So nearly £10m in wages. And from that list only 2 of those players are anywhere near a starter for us.

Give Webber & Farke a blank canvas like that and they will be better judged from then on.

Next season will be different imo.  If we sell Josh Murphy and Oliveira, which is likely (Brighton and Fulham showing interest in Josh, allegedly) it will help the wage situation by using money from their sales to help the wage bill, plus we will probably move on at least three of your list and some of the others out on loan, so the wage bill will not be so problematic. 
Most of the old squad will have gone and new players will be in to make up a squad that Webber and Farke will think is what they need to get us playing how they want us to.

We''ve just had to be patient throughout a season of change and adjustment which has seen us effectively decline and attain merely a status of being in the lower half of the Championship table. We now have to endure a season of just consolidating this? No thanks.

Consolidation suggests standing still in a scenario that is forever changing, with many other clubs in our league getting richer and more and more of them therefore aiming for the top prize, whilst we presumably are not.

If we fanny around consolidating we will be left behind.

I do not go in for this forever planning for the future, it seems never ending for a start. Realistically or not, I want it now and would hope that Dan the Dude and his players are of like mind.

And I''m sure after those players leave and maybe a couple of others are sold it''ll be ''well we''ve had to sign 6-7 new players, so we need to give them time to bed in, maybe next season....''

I don''t think it is a case of ''consolidation'' as those relented from the PL have shown. The season before does not determine your place on the ''starting grid'' that season. And you can''t simply tread water.
Having players on three year PL contracts with only two years of parachute payments was always going to be a problem
So far we seemed to have coped. The squad doesn''t appear to have been patched up with players with barely a sensor two left in them, helping us just to stay afloat.
We''ll be busting a gut for promotion Whether the squad will be up to it we will have to see. Likewise we will have to see who pushes on as did Lewis. Who came from nowhere ... Trybull, Vrancic and to a degree Hanley to establish themselves.
However your point about the last of the high wage earners being gone by 2019 is very significant. There will also be a few more youngsters able to step up to join whoever the wages are then used on.
Looking good.

Summer 2019 will be 5th transfer window under this '' transition '' and apart from the list provided what will happen to the failures Webber and Farke have brought to the club namely Husband,Franke,Watkins,Steipermann and dare i mention him Srbeny ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Summer 2019 will be 5th transfer window under this '' transition '' and apart from the list provided what will happen to the failures Webber and Farke have brought to the club namely Husband,Franke,Watkins,Steipermann and dare i mention him Srbeny ?
[/quote]
Stiepermann is not a failure.  Fitted in well at left back when needed to, a good physical presence when played further forward, has a good left foot, but was injured for quite a while.  Fully fit and on form he is a very useful player.
As for Srbeny - give him a chance!

Err, we are in a position of looking to develop players. So to claim that a player is a failure so early on is silly.... even by your standards.
As to Watkins I would suggest a deal may well have been agreed before Webber. As Buenos Aires was agreed last Jan.
Maybe take your cue from the ......ing Policeman. Cheer up and stop endlessly moaning.
We''re ok

I understand the OP’s point regarding the financial constraints but I would expect a season of progression this year.

There should be less change (accepting there will be some) but the team outline and structure should be settled and I would expect us to be competitive.

I want to see a together team, playing higher tempo football and busting a gut. If that takes us to the outskirts of the play-offs this year then I think that’s a reasonable return.

My mind is made up on Srbeny thanks Lakey and he has had since January to prove my original judgement wrong so how long should he be given in your eyes as 4 months was obviously not enough ?
The OP talks of players leaving at the end of their contracts in May 2019 which as i said extends this '' transition '' period to 5 transfer windows which is a ridiculous amount of time.

I think ridiculous is a bit too strong.

Ultimately it depends on the size of the transition. We have effectively had to cut our wage bill from c£55m to what I assume will be around £15-20m max (at best), significantly lower the average age of the squad, revamp our scouting structure and make the whole model sustainable.

That is a big ask to do in 2 years

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Kingo, before they get dampened down, what are your expectations for the coming season?[/quote] I don''t know about king''s expectations nutty, but this thread has already dampened mine for the coming season as far as the forum is concerned [:''(]

Unfortunately I think the OP has is about right. We need a major improvement to seriously challenge this season. Until the costs of those he mentions are gone then we are limited in what we can do to effect that improvement.

Will be another year of mid table from where I''m sitting

@westcoast

Haha, tell me about it.

I think it''s fair to say we''re still going to have work to do on the wage budget unless we perform way, way above expectation and get Naismith etc out with very little outlay from ourselves.

I''d expect to see us perform more consistently than last season but if peoples expectations are promotion then it''s a little unrealistic. It would be great to challenge for the play-offs, but that would potentially be ahead of schedule as far as Webber is concerned.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Summer 2019 will be 5th transfer window under this '' transition '' and apart from the list provided what will happen to the failures Webber and Farke have brought to the club namely Husband,Franke,Watkins,Steipermann and dare i mention him Srbeny ?[/quote]

Also @til

Even by your standards that''s poor. Husband was only brought in as cover, Lewis was our first choice in pre-season. He''s had to play more than we would have thought and he''s not been great but he''s played at this level consistently before, isn''t old and wasn''t expensive.

Watkins we appear to have turned down a £3m offer and they''re likely to come back in this summer - on a player we got on a free. Yep, terrible business.

Stiepermann has shown his ability to be a utility player and cover multiple positions. I don''t see him in our starting 11 most weeks but believe it or not you don''t just sign starting 11 players when you''re making such big changes to a squad.

Srbeny offered us no less than Oliveira did last season and at a fraction of the price. Again, no issue with him being cover; maybe he''ll end up as more than that. Again, we''re talking minute figures in comparison.

So to conclude; better luck next time.

i think progress is a must this season two seasons is long enough for any Manager / Head Coach to show we are moving in the right direction

if it is not working then we might as well go back to a Manager who stays 2 /3 seasons all this Webber buying players for a style of play so we just have to change the Head coach if needed and it will all stay the same is rubbish if the results are not there and the style of play does not work

But of that list, only Klose is likely to be in the first team, and maybe Pinto, and as for the others they won''t be around, even if the half the Maddison money is taken up playing them with the U-23s.
I don''t think the fans will accept a second season of consolidation, Webber''s going to be expected to deliver some quality attacking talent in this window.

@nutty

Somecform of progress. Ie a reason to believe that the club is progressing in the right direction, in terms of looking better going forward on the pitch and looking more competitive in the league.

@hogesar
Wires crossed I think hoggy. What I was meant was that, however much or little progress there may or may not be on the pitch, the opinions of some posters on this forum remain set in stone [;)]

[quote user="king canary"]@nutty

Somecform of progress. Ie a reason to believe that the club is progressing in the right direction, in terms of looking better going forward on the pitch and looking more competitive in the league.[/quote]
I can''t see anyone wanting to dampen down those expectations Kingo.

Well I''ve already seen one claiming last season we were a success as we didn''t her relegated so you never know...

To be fair Kingo there was progress in terms of looking better going forwards at Carrow Road in the second half of last season. Let''s hope that''s at least the starting point next season.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]To be fair Kingo there was progress in terms of looking better going forwards at Carrow Road in the second half of last season. Let''s hope that''s at least the starting point next season.[/quote]
But as Webber pointed out, it took real guts for Farke to establish Lewis as his first choice left back (he was hardly the safe option). Birmingham was a must win game, and he played Lewis.  As for Maddison, he''s gone from nothing to £20 million player in a season, and in every interview he''s done, has been been quick to credit Farke as helping his development.

It was a shame Lewis was injured at the start of the season.

The first half of the season the games at Carrow road were rubbish, our football was dull and uninspiring. But there was massive improvement in the second half. A lot of people didn''t seem to recognise it though. And as we saw in the later games just one negative pass in a game where we were on the front foot would result in a chorus of boos.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]It was a shame Lewis was injured at the start of the season.

The first half of the season the games at Carrow road were rubbish, our football was dull and uninspiring. But there was massive improvement in the second half. A lot of people didn''t seem to recognise it though. And as we saw in the later games just one negative pass in a game where we were on the front foot would result in a chorus of boos.[/quote]Brings to mind Parma''s warning that it would be easier to get the new style accepted by the players than by the fans! It isn''t just the club that needs "to get with the times" (the phrase Iceland''s Arnasson used in connection with British football more generally: ""It''s just the way football is played; they need to get with the times," he said. "They need to pass more and try to keep the ball.")