Sign in to follow this  
Bill

If the numbers are to be believed

Thats entirely their choice I suppose. As long as we don''t have to keep hearing "I just want to play football" I won''t have any complaints.

Man''s an absolute moron. Its been explained time and time again by people with much more knowledge than him and doesn''t actually make any sense yet still he insists.

Purple - I think City1st means that we''ll still owe Naismith £20k a week in your example - assuming we''re loaning him to Hearts.

If we SELL him to Hearts, the remainder of our contract with him finishes and we don''t owe him anything, on the basis he''s negotiated his new wage with Hearts.

I explained yet again that City 1st was wrong about contracts on Friday.

I was labelled an idiot, told I didn’t understand his viewpoint, then he disappeared.

Classic City 1st tactics. Move the goalposts, twist what you’re saying and vanish when you’ve proven him wrong. All the makings of a narcissist.

[quote user="ThorpeCanary"]I haven''t been following this at all, so am even more confused than normal. Let me try to get this straight. Naismith has a year left on his contract with us and is being paid, say, 30K a year. He moves to Hearts on a three-year deal at, say, 10K a year. In that case we have a legal obligation to pay him 20K, and not less than that, for his first season at Hearts?

if Norwich want to save 10k on wages then I''m sure Norwich can agree to pay the other 20k in the terms?

Or do you mean we absolutely must pay the difference? That there is no possible way Naismith can move anywhere for less money WITHOUT us being forced to pay the difference? in that case then the answer is of course NO that''s not true (who thinks it is?) Simon Jordan was on Talksport talking about Sunderland or Villa saying these players will in all probability accept a pay cut at another club or just sit out their contracts at their current team.[/quote]
My question - because I have no idea what the answer is - was indeed whether under those circumstances we have a legal obligation to make up the difference. I understand if if there is such a legal obligation it could probably be waived, if Naismith agreed. What I am trying to work out is whether  there is such an obligation in the first place.

@purple

The obligation we have is to pay Naismith the contract he agreed until it ends. However if Naismith agrees to a new deal on reduced terms with another club that obligation ends as his contract with us is terminated to allow his contract with his new club to begin.

Now, Naismith could say ''new club x offered me £10k a week, you pay me £30k, I will only sign the contract with them if you agree to make up that shortfall for 12 months or give me £400k upfront.'' However City 1st seems to insist that Naismith can agree that £10k a week deal, move and yet we''d still be obligated to make up any shortfall even if we didn''t agree that with Naismith.

[quote user="king canary"]@purple

The obligation we have is to pay Naismith the contract he agreed until it ends. However if Naismith agrees to a new deal on reduced terms with another club that obligation ends as his contract with us is terminated to allow his contract with his new club to begin.

Now, Naismith could say ''new club x offered me £10k a week, you pay me £30k, I will only sign the contract with them if you agree to make up that shortfall for 12 months or give me £400k upfront.'' However City 1st seems to insist that Naismith can agree that £10k a week deal, move and yet we''d still be obligated to make up any shortfall even if we didn''t agree that with Naismith.[/quote]
That makes sense to me. That Norwich City have no legal obligation to make up a wage shortfall if Naismith gets a transfer to a lower-paying club. Norwich City might decide to do that, in whole or in part, to make the move happen, but there is no legal obligation.

Correct King, and correctly summarised Purple.
You make it sound fairly simple....mostly because it is.

Players are often ''paid up'' by clubs, I could name a few who got a proportion (but not all) of their contracts paid up for them to leave. Whether this is a lump sum or over time is negotiable but this is fairly common place in football.

A players could be on £10k a week with a year left and say ''no I will sit it out'' but the club may want him out so offer him £300k to terminate his contract. Then he can go and sign a new contract with another club for however much he likes, if he''s clever/wanted then he will be better off, but in the case of some (i.e. Jarvis) they might decide to stay put if they don''t think they can get a good deal elsewhere.

Exactly.

Where City 1st goes off the rails is the weird belief that we''re obligated to make up that shortfall no matter what. It makes no real sense as it would have actually made it loads easier to shift the likes of Naismith and Lafferty in recent years as they could have just taken lower wages, safe in the knowledge that they''ll still get the amount they agreed when we signed them.

@jeagle - I think that''s the situation we find ourselves in with the players in the last year of their contract with us who are unlikely to be part of Farke''s matchday plans.

In theory we could (and I suspect we would like to) offer Jarvis, Naismith, McGovern and Martin an amount to terminate their contracts, freeing them to go and talk to other clubs.

The question is, whether we can bear the ''strain'' of the remainder of their contract and what payoff it would take for them to leave. If, on average, they''re on £25k each a week, the remainder of their contracts would be £5.2m!

@ Woodman - exactly, it''s a lot to stump up so the club may decide to loan players out again to spread the cost. Unfortunately sloppy management has got us into this situation so we need some clever management to get out of it.

I for one would love to see more academy boys get chances, but for the right reason (because they are good enough) and not just to make up the number of home grown players!

Dont blame the Clown!...............just feel sorry for him, it must be a pretty sad existance he has.

Naismith and the others on last year on contract may be a Advantage to us if some other team offers them a 2 year contract that might make them jump

say Martin is on 10 k a week here but gets a contract offer of 5 k a week over 2 years he might be tempted at that with a little pay off

I think you will find that City1st has not been back to answer yet as he is in his element on another thread where a golden opportunity has arisen to indulge in his obsession.
So far he has fitted paupers, farmhands and dimwitted in just the one post.

[quote user="hogesar"]Correct King, and correctly summarised Purple.
You make it sound fairly simple....mostly because it is.
[/quote]
Since I had no idea what the position was and since there were two plainly opposite explanations being expressed with equal certainty it seemed the thing to do to ask.