Sign in to follow this  
65Vintage

Squad Investment

So realistically if we sell Maddison for 20M and Josh for £10M how much do you think will be made available to lessen our weakened squad?

We so need some proven attacking options - can we afford any?

We need some proven uk players in my opinion - but not sure we can afford them!

Thoughts?

5 or 6 million at most..

We will make up the squad with loans and cheap 2nd division players from Germany or Spain.

Guess we will have to wait and see what we have by August before we judge.

I actually think we have the vast majority of the squad sorted, it''s the key positions we need at either end which are the hardest/most expensive to get right usually.

The likes of Godfrey and Thompson to come into an already competitive midfield and the likes of Stiepermann who looked decent even when played out of position another one who is overdue a run of games.

Add to that we may have more coming out of the academy with the likes of Idah looking promising and you never know.

We just need someone who can stick the bloody ball in the netand another guy who can stop it going in at the other end, it''s that simple.

What is meant by squad strengthening? I take that as getting more players in to the first team squad with the probability that the majority of the money going on the invisible spend of wages and fees .

Or is the question really how much will we spend on transfer fees and whether we make a "marquee" signing?

I am sure we will pay some fees out but (as with Buendia) they will be relatively small amounts. Given we are needing a striker we may get close to £3.5m on one player but would be surprised if rumoured fees get close to exceeding £6-8m in total.

Wages will continue to be the largest portion of each years investment.

I agree with the comment above, the wider squad doesn’t need too much. I would expect maybe a loan player or two, probably that Henderson chap in goal and then for us to spend reasonable money on a striker and another winger. I would be disappointed if we didn’t find enough for at least one reasonably chunky transfer fee in the key striker position but I’m talking maybe £4m-£5m.

Apparently Webber has already said that £7.5 million will be spent on incomings.Pretty paltry amount! It also doesn''t look good for me as I had a bet with a mate that we would spend more than £3 million on one player this season. Reckon that''s me a fiver down! 

We seem to be in the process of selling our two top goalscorers. I hope that we have two scorers lined up, because the rest do not really contribute much in scoring.

I think that both sales are unavoidable, especially given the financial position from stupid purchases in the recent past - Naismith, Wildschut, RVW, etc. I also think that if we can gain £10m for Joshua, that is a good achievement in the light of his inconsistency.

My fear is that we must be patient and buy cheaply, largely growing our own successful players - we already have a number who have real potential, but this seems to be the future.The Premiership will seem a long way away for some years.

It’s a big summer for the club. If/when we lose Murphy and Maddison, added to the exit of Hoolahan we will be completely toothless going forwards. If they get it wrong and the players coming in are not up to this level we will be in for a real battle to survive. Over to you Webber.

Would be an oddly specific thing for him to say.

If Maddison and Josh go though we''ll have racked up a reported £50m+ for them, Pritchard and Jacob all in the space of just over 12 months. Add in whatever fees we''ve received for Dorrans, Rudd, Jerome and we''re likely nearer the £60m mark (allegedly). Yet we''re still in a position where our spending is likely to be limited.

If you look at a team like Fulham for instance they sold about £20m worth of players last season but then spent about £18/19m on new players. We just can''t do that as we need to shift our budgets, not just from Premier League to Championship but from Premier League to lower half Championship.