Sign in to follow this  
pete

English players needed

With needing to fit in 7 English players in the matchday squad could be a problem with us selling our English stars. Who to buy? suggest we invest in the lower league, Webber will have to look closer to home if we are to avoid breaching these rules.

[quote user="pete"]With needing to fit in 7 English players in the matchday squad could be a problem with us selling our English stars. Who to buy? suggest we invest in the lower league, Webber will have to look closer to home if we are to avoid breaching these rules.[/quote]
Well that rules out Hanley, Thompson, McLean, McGovern and Watkins.
Fear not, it doesn''t.
It''s just pete confused as ever.
(nice try pete, but you''ll have to do better than that)

It is home grown not English? Not sure when home grown clock starts, i have assumed Sudanese Mo Eisa would qualify as home grown having only played in England? Is that correct?

Would like to pip Brentford leeds etc to him of we can

Played for a club in the English leagues for 3 years before their 21st birthday - so those who have been at Swansea or Cardiff are home grown for the ‘English’ leagues. Players at Scottish, Welsh League or Northern Irish clubs don’t count - such as McLean or McGovern don’t count - neither did Hoolahan obviously.

Fabregas is always the classic example of an overseas ‘home grown’ player.

Mourgos would count if we used him- was at Arsenal from 2014 so has the qualifying years, despite being Greek.

[quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]It is home grown not English? Not sure when home grown clock starts, i have assumed Sudanese Mo Eisa would qualify as home grown having only played in England? Is that correct?

Would like to pip Brentford leeds etc to him of we can[/quote]

So Eisa should be fine as he''s been in the UK since 9.

Eisa is likely to be subject of a bidding war... Something we probably can''t afford to get into!A shame as it would be great to have him here.

So to that logic, if Murphy goes we still have Matthews, Godfrey, Lewis, Thompson, Morris, Cantwell, Hanley, Jarvis, Watkins, Raggett. Should be ok for now.

Would you really be happy with 7 of that 10 being in the squad every game? Considering that Morris is likely to be injured most, if not all season and Louis Thompson and Matt Jarvis haven’t played a game for about 2 years?

As Bethnal says that would actually be a pretty terrible position to be in.

Morris is injured

Jarvis and Thompson haven''t played in 2 years.

Cantwell, Matthews, Godfrey and Raggatt have barely started a game for us between them.

Watkins has been rubbish and seems to be linked with an exit.

Of those listed only Hanley and Lewis are regular starters and you also missed Husband.

Right now our first choice team might look something like...

Matthews

Pinto, Klose, Hanley, Lewis

Tettey, Trybull

Hernandez, Vrancic, Bundia

Nelson

So we''d then have to put at least 4 of Husband, Watkins, Godfrey, Cantwell and Raggatt on the bench regardless of form or need.

I would not be happy at all. We do need to bolster the home grown element but that is likely to be either be at a financial or quality cost if signed permanently, but i suspect we will bolster that element primarily through signing English premier club developed loanees, like Reed Gunn and Edwards.

One of those is not like the other...

In all seriousness though, I think you''re right and we''ll be looking at loanee options in the home grown market. However I do think we have to make sure we''re not then blocking the route to the first team for our own homegrown players- so for instance we need to make sure that Godfrey gets chances or that Matthews gets a shot at the first team.

A loanee home-grown striker and right back for instance make more sense in helping add depth to the squad while also not blocking the path for others.

For Godfrey he has Tettey and Trybull so I dont think thats a spot we will be looking to loan for but agree with the other priority areas.

And perhaps a further quick attacker similar to Murphy.

The dream would be Mason Mount who was linked to Norwich a month or so back. Easily as good as Maddison in my opinion. Unfortunately I think he is probably destined for a Premier League move rather than a Championship one.

Home grown goalie seems the easiest win, then with Matthews on the bench you get 2 home grown players and the one club grown one as well.

Think the Mo Eisa stuff comes from the fact he is almost certainly going to a Championship club. Wouldn’t expect any bidding war to break the £1.5m mark so he could be an option - just hard to say whether he’s actually good enough to make the team regularly.

@Bethnal

A loanee first choice keeper may be a short term win but a long term loss.

Matthews is 24, has shown himself capable in League One and only has a year remaining on his deal (although we have another years option). Sitting him on the bench behind another young loanee doesn''t help him and doesn''t help us as all it will do is bring down any value he might have.

I''d prefer to go the route of an older keeper on a free who might be happy to be a backup (Rob Green, Boaz Myhill or Andy Lonergan would all be homegrown) and can step in if needs be.

We''ve had a history of producing good young keepers only to cut off their chances at first team football.

Well, here might be a start!

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-transfer-rumours-manchester-united-henderson-1-5556865

Goalie doesn’t have to be a loaner. I haven’t seen enough of Matthews to judge whether he is good enough for first team football at Norwich in the upcoming season. Obviously if he is then that is fantastic. I’ll guess we will know pretty quickly in pre-season which route Norwich intend to take.

Rob Green would also count as ‘club grown’ so an interesting option. Wouldn’t want him playing more than a handful of games now though and if Matthews doesn’t step up Norwich could be in trouble.

Fair enough.

I just think we''ve already seen Rudd, Steer and Lewis leave because we wouldn''t give them a chance in the first team and I can see that repeating with Remi.

If they like the look of this Henderson, then what would come of Mathews? They played at the same level, yet we are rumoured to be interested in Henderson.

Could go with both (although I don''t really see the benefit)

Echo my thoughts there Crabby.

Can''t see a need to loan in another player with no more experience than Remi and our own player on the bench.

Could understand if we were getting them permanently.

I have suggested eisa but have notseen no links of him to us. He is well regarded if an extremely raw talent. I think he only had a one year contract with cheltenham but did ok.

I think brentford have been linked, who have a decent record with this type of signing. He may not suit our style but seemed a low cost low risk with potential to improve option adding pace and some goals in competetive football.

Most fitting that mould such at Peterboroughs maddison have a much higher price tag

If Swansea are open to loaning him out then Oliver McBurnie could be a fit- young, grabbed 9 in 17 for Barnsley last season and would count as home grown,