Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Leitner

Think he is just staring at the sun...

But it seems pretty clear he will be the Maddison replacement. He is a number 10 and was squeezed into a deeper position than he’ll normally play. Looks like a good bit of succession planning by Norwich - knowing that Maddison’s time at the club was limited to get his replacement in for a loan and help him adapt to the league.

Intrigued to see what formation Farke is building towards, it felt like he adapted his team to accommodate Maddison in his best position last season (to great effect). Whether Farke persists with 4-2-3-1 next season is another question.

The formation will be interesting and I suspect continue to be flexible from game to game.

However I am not convinced (lack confidence in) we are solid enough at the back to play with just 2 cbs all season so I can see 3-1-4-2 or 3-1-5-1 formation relying on wingbacks.

I suspect we will see a lot more of the 4141 formation that was experimented with (with mixed results, esp given the lack of ball winner in some of the variations started) at the end of the season with a sole def midfielder (Tettey, Godfrey, Trybull) allowing 4 from Leitner (if signed) Vrancic, Trybull, Murphy, Onel, McLean, Buendia to sit and rotate behind the figure head striker.

I would be really happy to see Leitner sign for us permanently. I do think he would be better higher up the pitch than the deeper position he played for us last season. I think Vrancic is the better option in the deeper, passing playmaker type role.

I like Leitner but he did flatter to deceive a bit. Falls into the category of a "nice to have" player if we get him although my priority would be a couple of strikers and we absolutely have to spend decent money on a couple this summer if we also sell Murphy.

As for the formation I really felt we looked significantly better when we played 3 centre backs last season so i would welcome a return to that more regularly. As soon as we went back to 4 at the back we started leaking goals again although to be fair we often did not have Tettey and Trybull available to play in front of them. Zimmerman in particular is a different player in a back 3 compared to a back 4. Imperious as one of 3 CBs yet strangely vulnerable when playing as part of a pairing.

If he does return it would seem to fit in with the current policy of bringing in ''misfits'' to develop them.
That naturally requires a longer term plan, as opposed to having players who can ''hit the ground running''.
For those wondering if that sort of policy works then look at Holt. Someone who had not really shown his best until he joined us.
Outside of the PL the club can afford the time to develop players. In the PL we wasted money on players who were expected to deliver but never did RVW, VOO, Naismith, Fer
We now have that time

I get the scepticism but he has a touch of class about him and if we can get him in cheaply to replace Maddison then it’s great business.

He was showing his talent but unfortunately the injury put a dampener on it, but he didn’t seem to want to take to long to settle in to the style of play or a different county like some of our imports have.

If we can get £20M+ for Maddison and another £10M+ for Murphy and replace with Buendia and Leitner I won’t be to disappointed.

Guess we have Wildschut to return if Cardiff are after Murphy 🤔

Lambert went through a period of signing misfits - Pilkington in particular had a reputation but a horrific knee injury and surpassed expectations so who knows what this seasons signings will bring.

There is more to come from Leitner, but if signed we know settling into the area wont be the issue. Playing to his strengths and getting his team mates on his wavelength will be the biggest challenge, one that will be easier without Maddison in the side.

If we can get Wildschutt on his wavelength then I may beleive in miracles

Re Wildshutt I actually thought he was starting to play quite well last season before he was dropped and loaned out. I gues s though that Farke doesn;t really rate him and will be keen to offload this summer.

Problem with Wildschut was never his form, I agree he played quite well. The biggest problem was his lack of end product. Loads of pace and skill, no product at the end of it. If he can sort that out he will be a good player for us, same with Onel and Murphy.

As for Leitner, would like him back here. A good sense of class to steady the midfield and perhaps if Maddison goes he''d have a bit more freedom to show what he can do.

Leitner had the 2nd best ‘key pass’ per minute numbers for Norwich last season - and that’s from a deeper midfield role. Will be good to see what he can do from the No. 10 position (should it exist at Norwich) next season.

If its him and Bundia in with Murphy and Maddison out we''re going to be really struggling on the home grown quota though.

Can''t see this picture on Instagram - have you got a link? Cheers

The homegrown (and club grown) player quota is a huge concern now. Especially as Maddison, Murphy, Reed and Gunn are all unlikely to be at the club next season and were all regulars in the squad. Godfrey may replace Reed, but it is unknown if he’ll be okay in the Championship, and the same can be said for Matthews replacing Gunn. Buying ‘home grown’ attackers is as expensive as it gets unfortunately.

At real risk of seeing players selected not on merit but on their home grown status.

It''s prbably not as onerous as it might at first seem
It amounts to 7 home grown players (UK) out of a named 18, which would allow for a starting 11 of all ''foreign players.
Seven from
Mathews
Hanley
Raggett
McLean
Thompson
Lewis
Husband
Godfrey
Cantwell
and given the number of subs it would be easy to put a couple of emerging youth players on the bench to bring that number down to five
that''s without any signings
we''ll be ok

McLean isn’t home grown.

Currently, it would require all those players apart from one, and as Cantwell is most likely to go on loan again, basically all of them. To be in the squad, every game.

Of course there will be new signings, but at present those guys would be picked not on merit. It is a a concern and will mean new players coming in will have to largely be ‘home grown’.

"At real risk of seeing players selected not on merit but on their home grown status.

"👍

With Murphy leaving now the list is starting to look a bit thin.

But on a normal starting squad we can probably bank on the fact that;

Matthews, Hanley, Ragget and Lewis will all definitely be involved, with Husband likely to be on the bench at least probably joined by at least one of Godfrey or Thompson.

With that in mind we''d only need one "home grown" signing to fill that position and it looks okay.

My only concern is if we get a few injuries we might have to dip into the youth teams just to get a few guys to sit on the bench to make up numbers.

Wouldn''t be surprised if Cantwell was in Holland till January, and Raggett and Godfrey got some game time at Rotherham.

Guessing our next No1 keeper is nailed on to be English.

AJ

Thats is hugely pushing it though. Say Hanley has a knock and Lewis is out of form and replaced by Steipperman over Husband. Suddenly we''re having to put 2 left backs on the bench to make up numbers of draft in youth for no reason other than to make up a quota.

I''d imagine we''ll get a couple of ''home-grown'' type loanees to help the numbers but it isn''t ideal.

There''s the backup ''keeper option as well to think about - Assuming Matthews is our starting ''Keeper, we could put Oxborough or a new signing on the bench (as I don''t think McGovern qualifies as HG?). that would be another one of the seven dealt with, in a position that we need to fill but realistically will probably never need to worry about using.

So, Matthews/Hanley/Lewis/Backup GK/2 from Godfrey, Thompson, Raggett, Husband almost guaranteed to be in the 18 unless there''s a serious injury crisis. I dont think it''ll be a big problem, and I''d actually like to see some of our young kids get first-team matchday experience on the bench, and maybe get 5 minutes on the pitch if we''re a couple of goals up at the end of a game.

I don''t see currently how they can even contemplate letting Raggett and Godfrey leave in on loan, which was on the back page of the EDP last week I believe. As for Leitner he was decent but is he really going to be the answer for the attacking problems we seem to have?

Just remember that Webber is quite hot on finding up-and-coming young British players and signing them on loan. I fully expect people like Reed and Gunn to be signed, which will boost the numbers.

I would love for Leitner to be signed. I feel he has more to give - especially with the number 10 role up for grabs.

[quote user="Yellow and Green"]Just remember that Webber is quite hot on finding up-and-coming young British players and signing them on loan. I fully expect people like Reed and Gunn to be signed, which will boost the numbers.

I would love for Leitner to be signed. I feel he has more to give - especially with the number 10 role up for grabs.[/quote]

I wish he was abit hotter on finding up and coming British players to sign permanently, as lets face it that''s where the decent transfer fees are going to need to come from if we need to sell off our best players year on year. We currently are making a big fat zero from helping out with Gunn and Reeds development.

Webber’s back ground is in academy recruitment (I believe he was instramental in Liverpool signing Sterling from QPR). We’ve seen him bringing in talented youngsters to the academy, I suspect this is where most of his attention in the domestic market will be. Especially players the bigger teams deem not good enough - there have already been a few of those coming in.

He is also excellent at getting good loan players and that isn’t a route Norwich should overlook. Huddersfield’s promotion was largely based on loan players. It is a low risk strategy for Championship clubs.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Webber’s back ground is in academy recruitment (I believe he was instramental in Liverpool signing Sterling from QPR). We’ve seen him bringing in talented youngsters to the academy, I suspect this is where most of his attention in the domestic market will be. Especially players the bigger teams deem not good enough - there have already been a few of those coming in.

He is also excellent at getting good loan players and that isn’t a route Norwich should overlook. Huddersfield’s promotion was largely based on loan players. It is a low risk strategy for Championship clubs.[/quote]

We shall see Bethnal. I have to say personally I extremely underwhelmed with his performance so far, he''s had a couple transfer windows and I appreciate he''s working under difficult circumstances but it is now crucial that the transfers he brings in work, where currently I think for every hit he''s had a couple of misses. I also disagree about the loans being a low risk strategy, it can result in your team being in too high a state of constant change, as we lose the loan players and sell whoever of the permanent players has played the best, meaning overhaul after overhaul. Sure we could have a season like Huddersfield or we could have a season like the one that saw us plummet into league 1 it works both ways.

[quote user="Zimmers Left Foot"]Loans proved effective for fulham this season too[/quote]

Your right, but we are not talking about signing loan players at the level of Mitrovic.